Default Steel or brass buttplate for 870 Remington

Hello All,
    I was hoping one of you folks would where I could find/purchase a steel buttplate for my 870.
    The stock was too long with the rubber pad, I removed it and now all I have is naked wood.
    I have also misplaced the pad as well, read that as lost along with the mounting screws.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Y.M.H.S.
    Wendell

Option One is to have the stock cut off and a new pad installed.
    This would likely be the best, since you can buy one of the new super-recoil pads that Remington is using now.
    Any gunsmith can easily cut down the stock however much you need and install a new pad.

Option two is a possibility. Remington used to use checkered aluminum butt plates on the 742 rifles. Possibly one of these would fit, but no guarantees.
    Part number 16:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...spx?catid=4340

Option three is to buy a 1/4 inch thick brass plate and make a plate. You'd cut the rough plate out with a hacksaw, drill and counter sink the holes, then file to the final fit.

Option 4 is to buy a "youth" stock with pad. These are shorter, and are often used by combat shooters since the factory stock is too long for this type of shooting.

Default Simplicity works!

Alternative to the above suggested butt cutting and pad replacement which seems the best solution, why not just install a thin aftermarket pad or universal type of butt plate? Such should easily fit your flat stock surface (as is probably configured for the prior pad) and should also be of a type to facilitate trimming to desired circumference dimension with relative ease. I assume someone like Brownells (www.brownells.com) should offer such. Many model-specific metal butt plates feature such as borders and/or sightly complex curvatures.
    There is a great fundamental truth in the axiom: The simplest solution is usually best.
    My take!

find a factory plastic buttplate from a 870 off Fleabay
    if it aint broke, fix it till it finally is.