Default Korean M1 Carbine magazines JUNK!

Just a quick horror story of how much junk the Korean carbine mags are. Out of 5, 15 rounders, 3 have the locking lugs on the back stripped off! One by me pulling the magazine out of the rifle. The other two were from simply firing the weapon! What a joke! Waste of money, should have known anything from Korea in the form of a rifle magazine is pure crap. Even though I've read different accounts and some swear they work just fine. Oh well.

Now, besides USGI mags, are there ANY after market magazines that are worth while? I'm looking for mostly range work, as I keep my GI's for display and collection only.
    How about these at keepshooting.com? The reviews seem to be too good for the price. But at least they are made in USA!
    http://www.keepshooting.com/mil-spec...-magazine.html

Maybe I'm guilty of oversimplifying or misunderstanding, but the USGI mags are available, pretty easy to find, and still 15 bucks each, or at least I bought one four weeks ago for 15 bucks. I think that your most effective choice would be to buy some less-than-perfect USGI mags and use them at the range, reserving your very good ones for display. If you can't bring yourself to do that I'm afraid your choices are quite limited and you may have to deal with less than reliable mags.

The 2 GI mags I have are unissued condition, and I only use them for display. As for GI shooter grade mags, man I wish I were where you are. $15 GI mags would be nice. The only ones I've ever found are $25-40. And I'm looking to get at least 10. Don't even bother looking for GI 30 rounders. Can't afford $50 a piece.
    BUT I totally agree, nothing is better than USGI mags. I just wish there were a decent substitute at least.

Quote Originally Posted by 148Infantry View Post
    The 2 GI mags I have are unissued condition, and I only use them for display. As for GI shooter grade mags, man I wish I were where you are. $15 GI mags would be nice. The only ones I've ever found are $25-40. And I'm looking to get at least 10. Don't even bother looking for GI 30 rounders. Can't afford $50 a piece.
    BUT I totally agree, nothing is better than USGI mags. I just wish there were a decent substitute at least.
    Keep an eye on the trader here. There have been many carbine mags for sale in the $15 or so range. There have been some 30 rounders around $30. Keep your eyes open.

USA mags were the worst I've ever tried in the M1. I hear mixed results that sound like Pro-Mag picked up where they left off on metal mags.

I have 4 30-rounders made a few decades ago from FN, and they work nicely, making them one of the last good buys out there if you can find them. Unissued or Reblued USGI 15-rounds in the wrap still turn up in surplus stores now and then for under $20. They function flawlessly of course.

There are a few on Gun Broker right now starting at $19 plus shipping, USGI marked.
    Last edited by curly1; 04-24-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Thanks for the replies. I will stay vigilant and keep and eye peeled on here. Looks like I'll stick to USGI, why compromise.

Here's two 'shooter' type USGI mags with a pouch for 40 bucks, which is about the going rate for 2 mags and a pouch in that shape where I am. Of course, their sales policy exceeds the law, at least in my state, so they might decline to sell it to you

http://northridgeinc.com/store/index.cfm/c144/i193

Was it a USGI m1 carbine being used for the fifteen rounders, or a universal or other commercial made carbine? This is real interesting, I mean, if it weren't for having some of those new made korean mil mags that come in the sealed brown wrapper with NSN numbers, I wouldn't have decent shooter mags in 15 and 30 rounder, nor a friend of mine, apart from my collectible USGI mags. A friend of mine even had a really old well used KCI marked on the back 15 rounder, the only good 15 rounder he has apart from some kind of ill fitting plethora of aftermarket mags he picked up new and used.
    Of course, I now only have USGI carbines left in my carbine collection, so I can't rightly remember if plainfield or universal was problematic.
    Maybe the quality has slipped with recent stocks of korean mags, but I do know that korean mags get a bad reputation previously from I believe it was mostly pistol mags that gave problems, I had to fit my Korean m14 mags on the rear tang by filing a little metal to fit my norinco m14 sporter, but those mags were only ten bucks a pop so well worth range mags and the extra trouble fitting.

Now I am unsure if I should encourage a friend to order more korean m1 mil kci mags. Of course, USGI mags are always a safe bet as long as they aren't clapped out, I've had clapped out m1 carbine mags ten years ago when I had my first m1 carbine.
    And you are sure there isn't a mag catch problem causing this?

They were new new Korean mags in the brown paper. They were used in a USGI National Postal Meter carbine. It has the upgraded M2 mag catch, but besides from that, I can't see anything that would be causing it to strip the lugs off the back of the mags. Besides the mag lugs being very thin and poorly made. The soft aluminum lugs are not flush with the back of the magazine. So after a few rounds of firing, they are extremely wedged in there, and almost impossible to remove without damaging them. But I will say this doesn't happen all the time, just about 50% of the 6 Korean mags. Now I have 3 that are useless without the lugs. My US mags have the lugs on that are flush.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4941.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	313.0 KB 
ID:	539496Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4943.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	332.9 KB 
ID:	539497
    First one shows the after effect of the lugs stripped. Second pic show this is after one magazine of firing. This is basically how they came straight from the package. They already had an air space/gap between the lug and magazine. This is the problem.
    I do not recommend these magazines, maybe I just got a bad batch. I bought them from AIM about 3 years ago.

Wow. I've been using the Korean 15 & 30rd mags for years with no issues. Work perfectly in my Winchester and Rock-Ola carbines. They are a tight fit in my plinker Universal carbines, but so are USGI mags. The Korean M16, M14 and Glock (KCI) mags work perfectly for me too. I still have a large cache of Taiwan 15rd carbine mags that work too. A couple of years ago they were dirt cheap from Numrich.

I've heard the Korean FAL mags are way out of spec, but never bought one to find out.

I have a mix of U.S. 15 round mags and Korean 30 rounders that I shoot in my Blue Sky special. Been using the Korean PS ammo with no problems. I had some old norma 30 carbine ammo and was getting failures to eject. Found a burr on the left side of the receiver just above the mag. Filed most of it out then stoned the rest. Now she spits them out like watermelon seeds. The only problem I have is that it shoots about 6" high with the sight at its lowest setting. Frank

Wait a minute, you are saying those mags are made of aluminum? The photo's you provided seem to corroborate what you posted from what I saw, and if aluminum for sure, no wonder they gave out so quick. I of course only have in my possession and have read of for sale steel mags, I've never even figured anyone ever made any m1 carbine mag as aluminum, and mine are black painted, and the backs of my korean mil mags are marked with a large "U", where thirty rounders as steel mags are marked on the back as a smaller "UU". The wrappers I encounter are sealed like a candy bar wrapper with fringing on each end with a NSN number(National Social Number, a military nomenclature we even used in the US military twenty years ago), making sure your mags weren't just wrapped in a paper without any printing whatever, that just needs to come unwrapped instead of cut or ripped apart.
    It's always possible you have some sort of korean commercial civvy use mags, misrepresented as korean mil mags or some sort of mag advertised as "asian made magazines" that aren't real korean military, especially if aluminum, I've never even heard of an aluminum mag much less a korean carbine mag advertised as aluminum, usually its either black painted or blued steel. I bought mine from Centerfire Systems, a gunboards sponsor last year in two orders, the first one as a test of several mags for viability, the second order to give me a few extra.
    I like my mags so much, I actually was thinking of making a order of 15's and 30's just in case my state goes with a high cap mag ban or the guv does, as steel mags though, looks like a form of aluminum is a bad bad idea, if that is the case. But again, as I was sayijng, if it weren't for some Korean made mags, I wouldn't have various high quality mags, I even ran two loadings through a korean ak47 hinged rear drum mag I bought as just one drum to test why those are so much cheaper than romo's, with no problems, was an expensive test of 150 rounds, but I can't figure out why those are cheaper other drums other than coming from "Korea".
    By the way, I too have a "Blue Sky/Arlington" import sportered carbine I previously shot and got in a trade last week, recrowned it deeply even though shooting okay at 100 yards, has a scope and mount green loctited(its a form of sleeve retainer requiring over 500 degrees of propane torch heat to loosen once dried), and I can't wait to try that out, once I used sleeve retainer loctite to keep the mount from loosening up again, EVER, ha, well, I love that stuff, my blue sky was very accurate before the mount came loose when previously owned by a friend.
    Last edited by AndGunsForAll; 04-26-2012 at 01:26 AM.

NOt true.....The work great as bolt hold open devices while I clean the rifles!

I have an unmarked 30 rounder that I believe is Korean made. The damn thing needs 10 minutes of adjusting with a needle nose pliars every time I drop it on the floor. Dead soft steel.

This is the first time I have heard of anyone having problems with the Korean magazines. They are made with a slightly thinner steel but have functioned fine for lots of users. The U on the back does mean they are the Korean made ones. If there is no U or UU on them then they are not Korean made. Most of the dead soft ones are commercial ones made here in the US or made in China. You got these three years ago? And how often have you used them? Even USGI magazines wear out byt the nubbes on yours seem to have broken away from the body. If they are fairly new out of the wrappers I would contact AIM and ask for contact information for the company that made them and let them know of your problem. They just might be able to help you with it.

Just snag some of the $20 NIW Inland mags from Ozarksurplus.com, very nice guy, and fast shipping. He also has a bunch of other goodies to order to keep your carbine running in top shape.