Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mitchell's Mausers

I finally got to see one of these rifles today. To be honest it looked really good, nothing rare but very clean. It was a complete match bolt and all. So my main ? is why all the trashing of this company? I have herd the talk of faking #'s but the one I seen shows no sign of being scrubbed and restamped. If so this rifle is only problem would be a heavy refinish. Don't shoot just asking a simple ? I know Surplus firearms mag did a review on Mitchell's and a rifle and it looked and sounded pretty good. I own a BNZ 45 my grand dad brung home, plus a russian capture and the marks on mine and the Mitchells are right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    I finally got to see one of these rifles today. To be honest it looked really good, nothing rare but very clean. It was a complete match bolt and all. So my main ? is why all the trashing of this company? I have herd the talk of faking #'s but the one I seen shows no sign of being scrubbed and restamped. If so this rifle is only problem would be a heavy refinish. Don't shoot just asking a simple ? I know Surplus firearms mag did a review on Mitchell's and a rifle and it looked and sounded pretty good. I own a BNZ 45 my grand dad brung home, plus a russian capture and the marks on mine and the Mitchells are right on.
    If it does, you have been swindeled into the Mitchell's refinishing act....If what you seen was a M48 ~version~ then many have been restamped as of late. If it was a true K98 version--then it is 100% restamped...

Now do you understand WHY we as collectors hate there offerings?....The more reading and education you do here on line, you will see what my fellow collectors are trying to tell you!

BAF
    Never argue with an idiot.
    First they bring you down to their level......
    and then beat you with experience.

Artificial Intelligence
    is no match for.........
    NATURAL STUPIDITY !!!
    Looking for the following stolen firearms, reward up to $500.00 PER GUN!
    Finn M28/30 serial number 38804
    Finn M28/30 serial number 55435
    Yugo M48 serial number K17859
    Winchester model 90 pump .22lr serial number 745302

Yes, they "match" but the match was done recently, using the WRONG FONT STAMPS.

Their font is a dead-give away, as the font is nothing like any of the original factories font AT ALL.

No offence, but I don't think you understand the marking styles on K98's, as anyone with a perfunctory knowledge of K98's know the fonts on the Mitchells is extremelly wrong.
    I'm Lewie the Fly...

Plus if your RC stampings look like the MM example---urrrg, I dont know what to say other then they DONT period.

BAF

Artificial Intelligence
    is no match for.........
    NATURAL STUPIDITY !!!

I was talking about the egale and the receiver stamps, didnt pay close to the ser #. I was amazed at the condition of a 70 year old k98 . I did not buy it. To clean for me, looked good but didnt make me feel good. My old bnz looks good for a rifle almost 70. Just not that good. As far as the RC looks like shit, nothing matches and has electro pen #'s on everything but you can still see the nazi stamps. But I had to ask

Wow... Sorry but you fell into the sucker trap. This is exactly what I'm talking about. New collectors/buyers falling into the "it's the real deal" trap because they are mesmerized by the pimp shine. They just take fools for their money bro, and you will end up with a typical RC that has been "bubbafied" by a bozo in his company's California warehouse. Let me guess... The bolt was Shiney with no bluing right?

I hope you understand that Mitchell's mausers take a normal looking RC and pretties them up. That's all they do. They start out as regular RC's and not in anyway better shooting or performing than a regular unmessed with RC of the same condition. MM's takes a regular all mismatched and electropenciled RC, heavily sands the stock, scrubs, grinds down serials and restamps numbers to match, they polish the bolt into the white, they add a line through the Russian capture "X" stamp to make it look like an asterisk..... Etc, then they take a lot of money from you, send you a pimp shined humped up RC k98k rifle with paperwork authenticating it authenticity signed by don mitchell and Don laughs his way all the way to the bank while you think you have a legit original German ww2 rifle. . The paperwork is not even worth using as a substitute for toilet paper. Now please no more MM Mauser threads. This subject has been covered a zillion times on every gun forum.

Btw, the k98k is a world war 2 battle rifle that was in the thick and heat of battle in most cases, it's not supposed to look pretty and the most valuable k98k originals are not pretty at all. If you want a pretty rifle, there are plenty of "pretty" new production rifles out there that are factory originals like ones from savage arms. Don't see what's so pretty about a heavily sanded stock and polished bolt on a k98k.
    Last edited by MauserGuy85; 04-24-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

Looking for a original matching BNZ 45 "T" block bolt.

I was talking about the egale and the receiver stamps, didnt pay close to the ser #. I was amazed at the condition of a 70 year old k98 . I did not buy it. To clean for me, looked good but didnt make me feel good. My old bnz looks good for a rifle almost 70. Just not that good. As far as the RC looks like shit, nothing matches and has electro pen #'s on everything but you can still see the nazi stamps. But I had to ask

Your RC is what Mitchells starts with, get it.....I hope.

HDH.

OK, once more I didnt buy this mauser. I own a RC and a Vet bring home bnz 45. I was asking about these Mitchell mauser's. Its the only one I have ever seen which looked way to good to be true. I have been collecting for about 25 years now. I really dont care for the k98k as it is. I have one thats correct and thats enough for me. I have my grandfather to thank for it and getting me into collecting. I really prefer the M1 and 1903/a3 as I'm a vet myself. But if it makes you feel any better I did buy a French mas 36 with matching #'s.

Mitchells should give away a free Mountain Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee with the purchase of a rifle. The first review pretty much clinches the deal.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountain-T...4566495&sr=8-1
    http://k98kforum.com/
    K98k Research and Reference Forum
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. " -
    Sir Winston Churchill

This item has wolves on it which makes it intrinsically sweet and worth 5 stars by itself, but once I tried it on, that's when the magic happened. After checking to ensure that the shirt would properly cover my girth, I walked from my trailer to Wal-mart with the shirt on and was immediately approached by women. The women knew from the wolves on my shirt that I, like a wolf, am a mysterious loner who knows how to 'howl at the moon' from time to time (if you catch my drift!). The women that approached me wanted to know if I would be their boyfriend and/or give them money for something they called mehth. I told them no, because they didn't have enough teeth, and frankly a man with a wolf-shirt shouldn't settle for the first thing that comes to him.

I arrived at Wal-mart, mounted my courtesy-scooter (walking is such a drag!) sitting side saddle so that my wolves would show. While I was browsing tube socks, I could hear aroused asthmatic breathing behind me. I turned around to see a slightly sweaty dream in sweatpants and flip-flops standing there. She told me she liked the wolves on my shirt, I told her I wanted to howl at her moon. She offered me a swig from her mountain dew, and I drove my scooter, with her shuffling along side out the door and into the rest of our lives. Thank you wolf shirt.

Pros: Fits my girthy frame, has wolves on it, attracts women
    Cons: Only 3 wolves (could probably use a few more on the 'guns'), cannot see wolves when sitting with arms crossed, wolves would have been better if they glowed in the dark.

Mitchells mausers
    faking it since the 80's
    why would you pay MORE for a rifle that you can't even give away?

The ONLY RIFLE(or any other thing) I would consider buying from them is this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M48-63v_e.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	539352
    http://www.zastava-arms.rs
    and that's cause they haven't touched it as far as I know.
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

I have GOT to get one of those shirts! With reviews like that, it must be good!

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I have GOT to get one of those shirts! With reviews like that, it must be good!
    The video review is pretty funny too.
    "Wir Deutsche fürchten Gott, aber sonst nichts in der Welt!”
    --Otto von Bismarck, 6.2.1888

holbrook-

use the search feature of the k98 forum. you will find thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread after thread about mitchells mausers. This topic has been so beaten to death its not even funny. You will find all of the info you're looking for on why they are garbage.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

I would be glad the font does not match and the totally fake polish. Its pretty clear what these guns ARE. The ones that I worry about are some bozo matching the numbers on mismatched parts with the correct font and look, such that only a super-expert can tell the difference.

I also think the MM guns look good. I give them that. Fake and ruined, yes. I do not want one nor agree with the concept and feel the ads for them are misleading. But they do look nice. I would buy one if he made a total repro this way (all new parts, just the old school design, and sold at a reasonable price). That is the only way I would own such a thing. But I cannot deny the appeal of this gun design (it is pretty, after all) in a clean presentation.

Where we put slaw and chili on hamburgers and hotdogs

The Mitchells crew.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3199814021_939efd69ea[1].jpg  
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Steamer

At east the RC's were captured rifles that were overhauled with the idea of maybe future use, then sold off as surplus with a "What you see is what you get" label. The Mitchells Mausers are a false and misleading product that have little or no historical value, because they have been machined, ground, re-numbered and polished ,to look like an valuable gun, which they are absolutely not. People are fooled into paying top dollar for a fake . The dishonesty of the product and the couched advertisements saying, "All German WW2' or something like that, enrages those of us who try to be honest in our sales and opinions. That's just a few of the reasons I wouldn't own one of these fakes, and am not shy about telling any owner of one of them ,that he got screwed !! Just MHO, BB

Hello,Most folks trash Mitchells because they are collectors and not users.If you just want a Mauser to use they are just fine.I have never owned one but I have plenty of friends who do and they all love them.Recently had a good friend buy one of their new "Tanker" or short rifles in 30-06.It is an accurate rifle and very well made.Mitchell just refinishes original Mausers from numerous places and resells them.Collectors hate this ,but for a person who actually uses his Mauser it is a good thing.RC rifles have been drasticaly altered from their original state and are much cruder than a Mitchells but no one complains because the Commies did it instead of a private enterprise so go figure.

Im starting to think theres some trolling going on.

Prove us wrong and post pictures....

**Looking for nice un-refinished late steyr (BNZ45) stock..

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Vortrekker View Post
    Hello,Most folks trash Mitchells because they are collectors and not users.If you just want a Mauser to use they are just fine.I have never owned one but I have plenty of friends who do and they all love them.Recently had a good friend buy one of their new "Tanker" or short rifles in 30-06.It is an accurate rifle and very well made.Mitchell just refinishes original Mausers from numerous places and resells them.Collectors hate this ,but for a person who actually uses his Mauser it is a good thing.RC rifles have been drasticaly altered from their original state and are much cruder than a Mitchells but no one complains because the Commies did it instead of a private enterprise so go figure.
    There's a MASSIVE difference between honest to goodness Russian military refurbished weapons (RC K98's) and some dirt bag company that takes these complete rifles and REBUILDS them into something they we not. Then add onto this the deceptive advertising--and WaaaLa you have a "private enterprise" verson of deception for the $$$'s!

There are many different versions of Mausers from all over the world in original form, reconfigured,RC's--etc--that list can go on and on.

The number one problem with Mitchell's Mausers is NORMALLY a new person becomes interested in "old weapons" buys the first "good looking one" he see's and then comes on line to show everyone "his like new WWII K98" without knowing he got suckered into a forgery from the word go...THAT my friend is the problem---If Mitchell's Mausers would advertise what they are doing/what they are creating/and NOT flaunting the original K98 WWII weapon as the "real deal"--then many people would'nt have a problem.....Until then there pure SHLT as a company.

If you such a Mitchell's lover, ask them why they wont advetise there offerings like Gibb's does---Atleast Gibb's states what they are building--and what they are offering--NO diseption from the word go...Gibb's should be commended not to follow Mitchell's lead!!!

Enuff folks---

BAF

Artificial Intelligence
    is no match for.........
    NATURAL STUPIDITY !!!

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. " -
    Sir Winston Churchill

A shame too; once upon a time he imported some intersting guns. I have a very well built .22 Caliber Galil clone, made in Italy, and imported by Mitchell years ago. A nice little plinker that came with 3 magazines, sling, tools, scope mount, folding bipod...

Where we put slaw and chili on hamburgers and hotdogs

I don't think you get it. The "Commies" as you cal em, are/were not trying to hide anything. Mitchell does, and then calls it original. It's a totally different thing. Furthermore, there are a lot of collectors that won't have anything to do with an RC.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Steamer

i wont touch an RC, but id pay the price of a matching 98 for an RC before i bought a mitchells.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

well its like say a real 1886 morgan dollar. shows patina and some wear. a FEW, a very FEW are as new. you got one in pretty good shape, and now someone takes a 1889, cleans it, and restamps it 1886. well yea itll still spend i guess. and a mitchells will still shoot. but man.
    courtesy flush
    PISDETS VSEMU

Quote Originally Posted by steamer View Post
    I don't think you get it. The "Commies" as you cal em, are/were not trying to hide anything. Mitchell does, and then calls it original. It's a totally different thing. Furthermore, there are a lot of collectors that won't have anything to do with an RC.
    Exactly steamer,

And the "commies"/post WALL collapse armorers we're working to refurb these rc's out of various Eastern European weapons arsenals (now proven to include the Tula arsenal in Russia), not a warehouse in California!! Did WE (USA) capture these prizes of war? To me that makes all the difference.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

Quote Originally Posted by boltactionsforever View Post
    There's a MASSIVE difference between honest to goodness Russian military refurbished weapons (RC K98's) and some dirt bag company that takes these complete rifles and REBUILDS them into something they we not. Then add onto this the deceptive advertising--and WaaaLa you have a "private enterprise" verson of deception for the $$$'s!

There are many different versions of Mausers from all over the world in original form, reconfigured,RC's--etc--that list can go on and on.

The number one problem with Mitchell's Mausers is NORMALLY a new person becomes interested in "old weapons" buys the first "good looking one" he see's and then comes on line to show everyone "his like new WWII K98" without knowing he got suckered into a forgery from the word go...THAT my friend is the problem---If Mitchell's Mausers would advertise what they are doing/what they are creating/and NOT flaunting the original K98 WWII weapon as the "real deal"--then many people would'nt have a problem.....Until then there pure SHLT as a company.

If you such a Mitchell's lover, ask them why they wont advetise there offerings like Gibb's does---Atleast Gibb's states what they are building--and what they are offering--NO diseption from the word go...Gibb's should be commended not to follow Mitchell's lead!!!

Enuff folks---

BAF
    First off please do not put words in my mouth ,I do not own a Mitchells Mauser so I am obviously not a "Mitchells Lover" I was merely stateing the fact that for a Mauser user they are good rebuilt weapons .As far as the "massive difference" as a user Mauser ,I dissagree, the Mitchells that my friends own are well adjusted decently finished Mausers,in my opinion much better than most of the Russian Capture rifles I have owned or observed.When I saw my first R/C rifle it looked as though 4th grade children had deliberately defaced a perfectly fine Mauser.As far a Mitchells advertising policies I really do not know or care as I was only speaking of the quality of their rifles.And as far as rebuilding them for something they were not...well the Mauser brothers did never intend for their rifles to be "collected" for sure they were meant TO USE !

First off please do not put words in my mouth ,I do not own a Mitchells Mauser so I am obviously not a "Mitchells Lover" I was merely stateing the fact that for a Mauser user they are good rebuilt weapons .As far as the "massive difference" as a user Mauser ,I dissagree, the Mitchells that my friends own are well adjusted decently finished Mausers,in my opinion much better than most of the Russian Capture rifles I have owned or observed.When I saw my first R/C rifle it looked as though 4th grade children had deliberately defaced a perfectly fine Mauser.As far a Mitchells advertising policies I really do not know or care as I was only speaking of the quality of their rifles.And as far as rebuilding them for something they were not...well the Mauser brothers did never intend for their rifles to be "collected" for sure they were meant TO USE !
    Does the word "FRAUD" mean anything to you? That's the problem with Mitchell's Mausers. If they admitted that their Mausers were reworked, refinished, sanded, reblued, chromed, and renumbered, their pimpshines would be just destruction of history, not outright fraud and deception. Apparently, this turd polishing appeals to some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Rex View Post
    Does the word "FRAUD" mean anything to you? That's the problem with Mitchell's Mausers. If they admitted that their Mausers were reworked, refinished, sanded, reblued, chromed, and renumbered, their pimpshines would be just destruction of history, not outright fraud and deception. Apparently, this turd polishing appeals to some people.
    Again you folks seem to be obsessed with Mitchells advertising ,but I guess some of you folks have a little trouble understanding and comprehending...My observations were strictly on the quality and useability of the weapon ,as my friends are hunters and shooters (and not collectors) they have no problems with these weapons.Too bad that you have such a hard time understanding this.

Again you folks seem to be obsessed with Mitchells advertising ,but I guess some of you folks have a little trouble understanding and comprehending...My observations were strictly on the quality and useability of the weapon ,as my friends are hunters and shooters (and not collectors) they have no problems with these weapons.Too bad that you have such a hard time understanding this.
    My friend also has one, the higher collectors grade version with an excellent Shiney bore and fantastic crown. He was duped by the false advertising and purchased it thinking its the real deal like so many others. I will say it again, in shooting tests using the same ammunition... My very good bore+ RC with 8x57's stock bedding tutorial outshot (much tighter groups) his polished turd time and time again in both his hands and mine. Why? Because Mitchell's does not perform any stock bedding or fitment of any kind. The mixmaster renumbered parts are not hand fit for "quality" performance. They are just cleaned properly and the bolt components are polished which makes for a smoother action in most cases. So please do not start false rumors about the "quality" of these pimp Shined polished regular RC's. They are no different in performance/shootability/accuracy compared to a regular RC.....

You mentioned that the RCs looked like 4th graders had defiled them. It doesnt take much to pour acetone on the stock and remove the shellac. Then youll have original German finish. Or you could use a belt sander like MM and remove the russian and german finish. Then you have a rifle devoid of markings and history. Why not just shoot a M48? I cant stand the sanded look of MMs.

I "understand" and "comprehend" you perfectly. I'll bet you are a used car salesman's wet dream.

WAIT

someone mentioned the "Tanker"

That is unfortunately a decent rifle hucked by a fraud
    it's a Yugo M48, shortened and chambered, it's from the same product line that made all the other Yugo Mausers, and Zastava's line of sporting rifles based off the the M48 action
    AND it's in Zastava military wood

I would buy it, just cause the frauds don't do anything but import them, they are Zastava Mausers and not bad if you like Yugo's
    Vic

Aaaa no I understand you perfectly......Your on a "Collectors board for Collectors" and your going to tell all of us collectors "We don't get it"......

I'm waiting....

BAF

Eh, Buddy got a great car to sell to you, Porsche, it's been assembled out of re-manufactured Katrina flood cars, and MAY EVEN CONTAIN GENUINE Porsche parts....
    that should cause ever Mitchells lover to pop a woody.

So, would you try to sell the above 'porsche' to a car collector? would you expect them to take kindly to your selling it as the real deal?
    Vic

Quote Originally Posted by ClintJohnson View Post
    You mentioned that the RCs looked like 4th graders had defiled them. It doesnt take much to pour acetone on the stock and remove the shellac. Then youll have original German finish. Or you could use a belt sander like MM and remove the russian and german finish. Then you have a rifle devoid of markings and history. Why not just shoot a M48? I cant stand the sanded look of MMs.
    Its not just that .The 2 R/C k98's that I owned were a nightmare.Both had excellent bores but the rifles looked as though they picked mismatched parts out of a barrel ,put bolts ect together with no thought of matching or fit .Both headspaces were incorrect.Both stocks were horribly ground down on the butt area.I could have done a better job blindfolded.Safetys and triggers barely worked.Eventually with many extra parts bought and fitted was able to obtain a safe reasonably accurate weapon to use .The Russians must have hired the lowest form of worker to re assemble these weapons.Thankfully I sold both of them .Live and learn.The few Mitchells I have observerd were of much better quality.But again I am not looking at it from a "collector " but rather as a person who buys weapons to use .

http://www.miltecharms.com/rifles.htm#MAUSER

I was wondering what you guys think of Miltech? I think they are almost in the same league Mitchell. I've seen them at Gun Shows and am not impressed.

HDH
    Last edited by hansellhd2; 04-25-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boltactionsforever View Post
    Aaaa no I understand you perfectly......Your on a "Collectors board for Collectors" and your going to tell all of us collectors "We don't get it"......

I'm waiting.

BAF
    Some people collect weapons to look at...and others collect weapons to use and for their useability (as they were intended) Or is there just your reason for collecting?

Both had excellent bores but the rifles looked as though they picked mismatched parts out of a barrel ,put bolts ect together with no thought of matching or fit .Both headspaces were incorrect.
    Both had excellent bores but bad headspace? I find this hard to believe. The only mauser Ive ever owned that had bad headspace was an Albanian byf 44 that had been shot to death but was still accurate and I really couldnt tell by the brass that anything was wrong. You sure a gunsmith wasnt milking you?

You're obviously on the wrong forum. Here, the folks here tend to hold people and companies accountable for their advertising claims. Apparently you do not.
    Sir Winston Churchill

What Regis Rex posted above about "FRAUD" that is synonymous with MM . . . point well made!

Recollect a couple of years ago MM had those print ads saying "The end is near!" In reference that supposedly all known overseas inventories of the k98s were gone . . . with the print ad rhetoric saying that the known warehouses of the k98s were "bare to the walls" and 'you better buy now because the k98 will be gone soon'.

Gee! [sarcastically speaking] . . . How is it that MM still has an inventory of k98s to sell if such inventories were depleted years ago?

I get the notion that for those out there that have never been the victims of fraudsters, you wonder why all the fuss about MM? Well, I've been a victim of fraud, and have known scam artists that have delighted in the harm they've inflicted onto others with their scams for their financial gain . . . which is why I have a strong axe to grind against fraudsters, such as Mitchell's Mausers.

If MM was to advertise that its k98s are rebuilds and reworked out of pieces that offers a "representation" of what a k98 rifle is all about, I would not have issues with that. But for MM to give the impression to the public that what they sell are rifles in its original form, untouched since the days of battle from WW II, is deceptive and fraudulent!

I knew we couldnt go a month without one of these threads..
    Quit Stalin, buy a mosin!
    www.themosincrate.com

Some people collect weapons to look at...and others collect weapons to use and for their useability [red=color](as they were intended)[/red] Or is there just your reason for collecting?
    YOUR world we all just live in it!

Deutsche Vortrekker take your opinion to the shooters forum where it will be welcomed I'm sure!

Enuff said folks....I'm going to sticky this thread----have at it!

BAF

Quote Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
    I knew we couldnt go a month without one of these threads..
    I dont know....Im having a little fun here!

I dont know....Im having a little fun here!
    I doubt that.... I bet you even have "a polished turd" in your possession. No other reason to defend such "fraud" otherwise. It goes beyond a "little fun" I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast