Default Dating an early FN High Power

I just picked up this FN High Power; its 5 digit all matching gun, perhaps early postwar (?), in pretty nice shape. Can anyone tell me what year this pistol was made and about the various proofs? I'm assuming that this is a commerical gun? Thanks.

Last edited by RMF; 04-28-2012 at 08:16 PM.

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Very late 40s (In 1954, FN was at serial number 70000)
    Charlie

Sometimes it is very hard to date these as there were various contracts and depending on the country the numbers were all over the place and repeated...

There will be more identifying markings under the grips. A couple of photos of what is under there will hlp with identification.

Removed the grips and I don't see any identifying marks on the frame. There are a number of marks on the inside of the grips.

At that point in time, contract im Powers were specially marked.

The West German police ones were not contracts as each department purchased their own, separate from others. Very few police departments marked their Hi Powers. A few did.
    Charlie

Thanks all! From another forum someone wrote- "your HP was made in 1952, was inspected by Cominoto Louid, it's of military configuration".

Not sure how the military configuration differs from a commercial configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by RMF View Post
    Thanks all! From another forum someone wrote- "your HP was made in 1952, was inspected by Cominoto Louid, it's of military configuration".

Not sure how the military configuration differs from a commercial configuration.

Generally speaking there is no difference. Special contracts may require special features - maybe that is what they were thinking of.
    Charlie

Can anyone list the post war years for inside extractor Hi-Powers? I have 4 , some with a 3 digit number. What year did they start making them ? Thanks, BB

Quote Originally Posted by RMF View Post

The internal extractor was used on all Hi Powers from the beginning until it was changed in 1962. In 1962, the design was changed to the external extractor, which became the norm after all of the old parts were used up.
    Charlie