Thread: taurus 82 vs. Rossi 841 which is the better by

Default taurus 82 vs. Rossi 841 which is the better by

looking for a couple of house revolvers, sometimng NOT to fanncy at all , cheeper costing, ect...

I was debateing on the Tuarus 82 that every one has seen at the local wholesalers, then SOG ( and more to follow , I am sure ) have the Rossi 841s for just $10 more.

I have read that the Taurus will handel +Ps with out any problems, but can't find much on the web about the Rossi. Not haveing owned either one before, any reviews or personal experiences any body want to throw at me, just to help me make up my mind.

I am fairly certian that I will chose the Taurus, but want more input.

Thanks in adavnce Yoda

Where in order to get to the South, you have to go north

Taurus

I agree, buying blind, the Taurus will usually be the better of the two. Having said that, I have seen abysmal products from both manufacturers. Even rcently, I bought a Taurus revolver, new, with mis-aligned sights. It is so much better to buy "live".

Save more money and get a used S&W or Ruger. Less likely you'll get one with bad timiing and plenty of after market products like grips for comfort and springs to improve trigger pull.
    Allan Schisel

taurus would be my choice. But, you will want to have someone (or DIY) polish the action. It is very, very rough out of the box and does not improve rapidly. Once polished, they are very good shooting. All steel ones will last and perform, the lightweights, I do not care for their durability.

Only Rossi shooters I know use light loads, not +p. I cannot comment on that, but they seem to do quite well for target loads.

I'd vote Taurus as well. Not all Taurus revolvers are that rough out of the box. Most aren't that bad at all.
    Last edited by JB; 04-30-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allanschisel View Post
    Save more money and get a used S&W or Ruger. Less likely you'll get one with bad timiing and plenty of after market products like grips for comfort and springs to improve trigger pull.
    Allan Schisel
    This is great advice. +1

I have an older Taurus 82 as a bedside gun. I even found wooden stocks for it. It has the smoothest trigger of all my revolvers, and is quite stoutly made. I would have no qualms about shooting +P in mine, but see no real need to do so for home defense.
    uhlawpup - deep in the heart of Downtown Houston

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
    NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX

I just bought two of the surplus Taurus 82's from SOG. Nice guns, bluing is worn but no other problems. I dont think they were ever shot much. The wood grips are scratched and worn and needed replaced, the rubber grips were gooey and nasty. I made new walnut grips. They fit my hand better and the gun looks similar to the S&W 1917 I use to have.

A vote for the Rossi. I have a 462, stainless snubbie .357 Magnum, 6 shot. I carry if frequently, loaded with Remington '38 Spl +P. I replaced the hammer spring with the one recommended by Wolff. It's a gem. My Smiths stay home, Rossi comes with me.

mark

I would think these surplus Taurus revolvers would be a step up from a lonely abandoned commercial model. I have seen some of them, held them, and they seem fine. I have an 83 and it is not remarkable, but is okay in 38 Special.
    Rise of the Dark Son - by Davis E. Riddle
    Fiend Fighter - by Davis E. Riddle
    Skein of Shadows - by The Wandering Men (member, Davis E. Riddle)

“A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.”—Judge Benson E. Legg

Zombie thread!!...Back from the dead..but still pertanent to me and others I'm sure.

What I've seen of the Century imported Taurus Model 82 revolvers...the rubber gripped versions are the best buy. These being newer production guns with much less use and wear.

The wood gripped guns are older generations of Model 82...probably from the 1970's through like the 1990's os so. Earlier versions have different shaped frames and lanyard staples..instead of lanyard rings..and will have seen much more use and abuse from the guns I've seen.

I own both a newer rubber gripped model 82..and the earlier version...different generations of revolvers just sharing the same 'Model 82' designation.

I have one version of the Rossi Model 841...and wasn't even aware that Century was importing these too..until I visited the FFL dealer who had ordered the Taurus 82 revolvers for me and friends. He had a single example of the Rossi in his man-cave..and I had to beg a bit..but got it bought.

The Rossi 841 I have is pretty well used too...not as slick/less used as the rubber-gripped Taurus 82 I own...probably better shape than the earlier wood gripped Taurus 82 I bought. I looked at some examples listed for sale online...and the Rossi 841 revolvers all look about the same..well used shape as what I have.

Without a doubt..if you order any of these foreign Taurus/Rossi trade in revolvers...the better shape guns are the rubber gripped Taurus Model 82 revolvers. I've examined about 4 of these..and they will have some finish wear...maybe a touch of rust under the grips...but are not all that old/used/abused/beat-up/worn as the others.

The older wood-gripped revolvers from both Taurus and Rossi...from the several guns I've examined(only one Rossi seen in person)..these will have heavy surface/finish wear...may have some mechanical issues..and or be missing some small parts/screws/lanyard rings/etc. These might be fine if bought cheap for a project gun...however if your just looking for a good servicable used handgun right from the box...better look these over in person..or order a rubber handled Taurus82 as all these I've seen were intact and servicable as received.
    Last edited by Z71; 01-21-2013 at 08:58 AM.