Thread: Accurizing a 10-22

Default Accurizing a 10-22

Ok, so I have a 10-22 that is an OK shooter (3in at 50 for 50 rounds) with a factory barrel. I am hoping to get it more competition ready (a 50yard sporter competition at a local range, nothing to serious). I know I won't be competitive with a high-powered bolt action (part of the course is 5 rounds rapid fire off hand). So, where is a good place to start? I can pop an 8in plate 19/20 at 50 yards right now, but I think a better trigger will help me a lot. Also, what barrel will allow me to still use iron sights? I was thinking of a heavy barrel and cutting a dove tail for my current front sight (a tech sites ts100). I think a green mountain barrel will be a good start, but I am looking at a low budget accurizing. The action is bedded, barrel free floated. Is there any way can I make the trigger better without any expensive mods?

I'd consider keeping the stock barrel but get it "accurized". There's a couple of guys over at rimfirecentral.com that do that. They redo the chamber and have very good results as far as accuracy goes. You can do get a better trigger pull just replacing the hammer but the get competition ready (and if you can afford it) I'd go with a Kidd trigger assy.

I have a couple of 10/22's that started as run of the mill models and I started to change parts, barrels, stocks magazines and God knows how much I've spent already, you must consider very well what you're geting into because what happened to me isnt uncommon, the large offer of aftermarket parts for the 10/22 runs an endless list and very tempting-Below pic of one of my 10/22 with 600US$ in parts added, without considering the scope and mount-
    I am an international Gunboards patron

Quote Originally Posted by raul View Post
    I have a couple of 10/22's that started as run of the mill models and I started to change parts, barrels, stocks magazines and God knows how much I've spent already, you must consider very well what you're geting into because what happened to me isnt uncommon, the large offer of aftermarket parts for the 10/22 runs an endless list and very tempting-Below pic of one of my 10/22 with 600US$ in parts added, without considering the scope and mount-
    WOAH! Thats a cool 22. However, I am really only interested in creating a 1in (1.6ish cm) rifle at 50 yards (I believe about 40 something meters) with the best shooting match. right now I figure the cheapest way to do this will be to get a green mountain match barrel and re use the front and rear sights and do some trigger work and make a better stock. But Im interested to find out how to bed a 10-22 with a heavy (.920) barrel. I imagine i will need to either float the action and bed the barrel or bed the whole thing.

well, surprisingly getting a half decent stock and better barrel plus attaching a front sight costs me about the same as just buying a CZ 455 lux and getting a tech sight rear sight. So that is likely the route I will take as it seems a lot simpler.

IMO you made the right decition, what I did not mention is the fact that here we do practical shooting with .22, and the best suited rifle for that practice is the 10/22-

IMO you made the right decition, what I did not mention is the fact that here we do practical shooting with .22, and the best suited rifle for that practice is the 10/22-
    What is practical shooting? I am competing in off hand, kneeling/sitting and prone shooting, slow and rapid fire.

The definition of Practical Shooting:
    Practical shooting is a sport which challenges an individual's ability to shoot rapidly and accurately with a full-power handgun, rifle, or shotgun. To do this, shooters take on obstacle-laden shooting courses called stages, some requiring many shots to complete, and others just a few. While scoring systems vary between practical shooting organizations, each measures the speed with which the stage is completed, with penalties for inaccurate shooting.

The definition of Practical Shooting:
    Practical shooting is a sport which challenges an individual's ability to shoot rapidly and accurately with a full-power handgun, rifle, or shotgun. To do this, shooters take on obstacle-laden shooting courses called stages, some requiring many shots to complete, and others just a few. While scoring systems vary between practical shooting organizations, each measures the speed with which the stage is completed, with penalties for inaccurate shooting.
    Aha. That sounds like a bit of fun to go and try.

My 10/22 is not going to beat my CZ 452 at 100 yds. Flat No.
    However, if 4 to 6 inches is okay at 100yds, your stock 10/22 can do
    that with Tech Sights on it. Put on a better barrel and Tech Sights and
    we are talking serious accuracy with iron sights.

Go to scopes , I would recommend if you go to a scope, don't swap out your
    stock Ruger barrel unless you don't like the 100 yard accuracy results. If they
    are not up to snuff, buy a better barrel.

Keep in perspective, before you give up the hope on that stock barrel, try a large menu of
    brands of ammo as 22 rifles are notoriously fickle about what they like to shoot well.

The 10/22 is the Timex Watch of 22 auto loaders. It has stood the test of time. If your stock
    version is not shooting to your satisfaction, spending a few bucks on barrel and sight (or scope)
    is not a bad investment.

Default Raul

That is a seriously nice rifle you have there.
    It illustrates if you want your rifle to fit like a glove,
    it can be done.

Cheapest & best way to accurize a 10/22 is by replacing the barrel & action with a used Marlin Model 60 set up.
    Live on a lake and don't fish,,,,,,,,collect guns and I don't hunt..........Be afraid, something is very wrong with this man !!!

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    My 10/22 is not going to beat my CZ 452 at 100 yds. Flat No.
    However, if 4 to 6 inches is okay at 100yds, your stock 10/22 can do
    that with Tech Sights on it. Put on a better barrel and Tech Sights and
    we are talking serious accuracy with iron sights.

Go to scopes , I would recommend if you go to a scope, don't swap out your
    stock Ruger barrel unless you don't like the 100 yard accuracy results. If they
    are not up to snuff, buy a better barrel.

Keep in perspective, before you give up the hope on that stock barrel, try a large menu of
    brands of ammo as 22 rifles are notoriously fickle about what they like to shoot well.

The 10/22 is the Timex Watch of 22 auto loaders. It has stood the test of time. If your stock
    version is not shooting to your satisfaction, spending a few bucks on barrel and sight (or scope)
    is not a bad investment.
    I already have the tech sights (love them!!!!). I am down to hitting clay pigeons offhand at 50 9/10, but I want to drop that to the mini pigeons (about 2.5 or 3in diameter) at 50. I think I may just wind up with a green mountain barrel and some trigger work on it. And just sell of a my 30-06 and get a cz 452 military trainer. Seems like a heckuva gun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick N. View Post
    Cheapest & best way to accurize a 10/22 is by replacing the barrel & action with a used Marlin Model 60 set up.
    That may be true, but it is the least fun!