Gunboards Forums banner

CFS Yugo questions?

6K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  AKBLUE 
#1 ·
Are the barrels on the new Zastava Yugo AK's from CFS chrome lined? I've also seen a plastic stock version that came with a single column mag. These are standard AK mag, right? Anyone get one and try it out? Impressions? Never seen a Yugo I didn't like. Considering getting one. Are there smooth top covers available?

Thanks Guys.
Best.
Northy

#7 ·
I do not own one., nor have I shot one. I have inspected several. They have a good bit of receiver billboarding (scribble) about owners manual, importer etc. The fit and finish of the metal is good. The furniture is lighter weight and more commercial looking than original milspec oiled Serbian furniture.
The receiver cover with rail is OK but looks like an afterthought or un-necessary addition. The rifle lacks the night sights and grenade launch valve and sight seen on M70 series rifles.
But the general appearance and feel is similar to Yugo M70B1. Looks and feels solid. That is all I have.
I have milspec kit builds in USA spec so the PAP is a curiosity but not a want.

#8 ·
Thanks AKBLUE. That was helpful. I'd have to agree the picatinny cover is a head scratcher, but am assumeing I can replace it. Interesting that you say the stock isn't as robust. It does look well finished in the pics I've seen, but definetly has a "civilianised" look to it. Still, for me anyway, I can accept it for that. That is after all what many of the guns sold during the restriction years are. I have no need for the night sights or grenade launcher. I owned a yugo underfolder with them, and they were a distraction.

#9 ·
.... OK. I got bumped. As I was saying. I don't need the extras. Most of the night sights I've seen are nonfunctional anyway, and I sure as hell don't need the grenade launcher sights and gas block. If I did, I could find an M70. I'm disappointed to hear about the billboarding. Apparently AK's have finaly gone the way of the rest of the American arms industry. Irregardless, I finaly ordered one. I figured must be there aren't alot out there at the moment, and hindsight has shown us all that AK's will always hold there value, especialy the good ones. Seemed to me it ought to have as good the quality as it's mil. spec. sibiling. I'll let folks know what I find, should be here next week, if the sales folks weren't pulling my leg.

Thanks again,

Best,

Northy

#10 ·
If you re more interested in the heavier 1.5mm receiver and heavier AK47 pattern barrel vs the AKM models then the PAP is a good candidate.
If you were looking for a milspec original then the PAP would need work and parts swap.
A standard Yugo receiver cover will replace the railed original PAP cover.

#11 ·
Now that you mention it, I did notice what looked like the RPK style reinforced receiver in the pic. Just wasn't sure. Honestly couldn't remember my old yugo folder having that, but maybe it did. Didn't know it's coming with a heavier barrel. Pic looked like standard AKM to me, but I don't have the eye for the details you guys do. That'll be cool. No, I'm not looking for milspec. AKBLUE, I was kinda enamored with it on it's own merit. Looked unique, ya know? Something a little different. I'm not putting down the milspec's either. I passed on a milled Yugo years ago, and haven't found one in my reach since. Beautiful gun. I had the folder, but that was at a time when they were a dime a dozen too, and I swapped it out on something else! With age comes wisdom! ( at least that's what i'm shootin' for) I was hoping the cover was replaceble, looks like it has the cutout on it for the button on the left side of the receiver. I'm not a big fan of the dust cover scope mounts anyway. Had a chinese one once. Piece of crap. And that's aside from the fact it looks pretty in two ways. Pretty ugly, and pretty apt to stay that way. Thanks again guys.

#12 ·
Sounds like you are gonna like the PAP then. That is good as it will likely meet all your expectations. They are solid as a rock.
I'm partial to the Yugo AK's and did buy pretty many kits back in the day. Built quite a few and sold a couple and still have others to build. Kind of a collection now., too many.., and a recent virgin Yugo krink M85 and an older krink M92 kits to build as well. But those are kinda pricey. I do like the Yugo's.

Just for the heck here are a couple., I'll bore you with a few pics of part of the herd.>

Iraqi Tabuk clone built on Yugoslavian machinery and/or parts by the Iraqi's., battliefield finish>

Yugo M76 sniper cut down to 16 inch barrel and modified high cap MG13 mag>

A pair of milled Yugo's. M70AB and M70

Yugo M95 in 5.56 caliber

#13 ·
Nice collection AKBLUE! I'm envious. My old folder looked like the Iraqi. Aye yai yai, why I let that go? (sigh) Love the sniper conversion. Now, that's gon'na be a classic. You could make some serious dough on that one up our way. Did you do it? Nice work.

#15 ·
Thanks. Yes., I built all the rifles in the pics. On the M76 it was a kit with a US Gren Mountasin barrel. I have ithers with original Yugo barels so I sacrificed that one by cxhopping it and adding a Bulgarian FSB. Mark at AWO helped out by modifying a MG13 mag for me. As I said.., the Yugo's are one of my favorites., :) a couple more>>

Two early model stamped Yugo rifles prior to the transition to the heavier bulged trunnion and 1.5mm receiver. These are often refered to as "slabsides" as they lack the front trunnion "bulge" and are built on 1mm receivers. Evidently they did not hold up well to grenade launching etc., so the RPK trunnion and heavier receiver were adopted.

The M70B1 (first pattern) fixed stock and the M70AB1 underfolder>

#16 ·
My Yugo arrived today! My God is this thing heavy. It's marked as an M70 btw. Paper work calls it a ZAPAP. Billboarding wasn't as bad as I expected. The only drawback I can see, is the top cover. LOOSE as a goose. I don't have ANYTHING with a top cover that sloppy, and they put a picatinny on it???? I'm in the market for an M70 top cover now. More later.

#19 ·
I finaly ended up with TWO, yup, 2 ZAPAPs. Don't ask. Wildly different quality. One has sloppy top cover. Pins drift out on firing. UGLY wood. Other has gorgeous wood. Rock solid top cover that I've been able to mount a scope on, and the action pins stay tight. Welcome to Century Arms. :s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.