Default cracked reciever

Was cleaning rifles this AM an found one of my 98 mausers has a very small hairline crack where the barrel screws into the reciever my question is can it be possible to weld it or is it scrap metal

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

You can weld it - but the receiver needs to be taken out of service IMO. Problem with welding is is the fusion temperature will alter the heat treatment of the metal and it can't be restored.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Any high power rifle with a crack in a critical area like the receiver ring is forever non-shootable.

To protect the next owner (and sooner or later there WILL be a new owner) you need to do something to make it clear the rifle is no longer safe to shoot or part it out and damage the receiver enough to prevent someone from trying to use it.

OK YES IT IS REPAIRABLE..but it would be more expensive than the rifle in most cases.
    strip, anneal(probably) weld, reheat treat, refinish...
    and only certain places can do this......
    so thier answers, while painful, are practical.
    demil.....and make a wall hanger or truely destory it.
    mike in co

Thats what I was thinking but I had to ask never even shot it OUCH more parts thanks guys

There are plenty of us with the skills to restore a cracked firearm. Please don't kill the gun over this. if you don't feel it is worth it to repair, sell it cheap to someone who can fix it themselves.

Also make sure it is actually a crack. I have 95 Mauser that I began sporterizing about 40 years ago and had long forgotten about it. A few years ago I resumed work on it and found what I thought to be a crack in the receiver ring. I gave it to a friend who inspects nuclear reactor parts who magnafluxed it for me. It turns out it is not a crack. Get it checked before you do anything hasty.

Im not done yet but Im pretty sure its a crack goes in about two threads right on top of reciever dont know why I missed it when I got the rifle but I will just replace the reciever when I get the time

Trash it; it is not worth the effort to "repair' (even if it could/can be done effectively); JMHO.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

It isn't dangerous at all. The barrel contains the chamber pressure, and the rearward force is taken
    by the metal around and behind the locking recess. You probably have shot it that way.

I havnt shot this one at all but Im going to put her back in the closet till I can find a replacement dou.45 reciever

Could be just a forging mark. Another possibility is that the barrel threads were cut slightly oversized or the receiver threads undersized and it cracked when screwed in, something that happened in a substantial number of US Model 1917s, which went through WWI without problems, and which wasn't discovered until gunsmiths started changing barrels on them.

If it is a crack you can have it microTIG welded, assuming you aren't very risk averse. Most early mauser receivers are just surface hardened so they don't grenade like the heat treated low number Springfields, and are pretty soft inside. So if you just let the weld cool slowly it'll normalize and not affect receiver strength. The very front of the receiver just holds the barrel threads and the worst that will happen is the barrel goes shooting out the front, one of the typical overpressure failure modes of the Mauser. The bolt will stay locked in so in this case there's little or no danger to the shooter. A crack in the rear of the receiver ring at the bolt lug recesses is another matter. Then it's scrap because you could get the bolt in your face if both lugs broke out - not a likely occurrance as just one will hold it.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

If it was just me I would tig weld it an tie it to my test tire and put a hundred rounds thru it from 20 feet away and if it looks good fine but than I am liable for what happens when Im gone to the next owner that is something that I cant do