Default The MAG 98 Eagle,(Polish), Has Landed!

The Radom MAG 98 built in 2000 arrived yesterday and all the cameras except the phone are all used up from pics of my middle daughter Grace's prom pics, so for now the phone pics will have to do.
    It fits into my Milt Sparks VMII holster for my Sig P220 and 226 really well and I think I'll be able to modify some 226 Mec-Gar mags to work too, hoping anyways.
    The barrel is stainless with possible chrome lining, not 100% on that yet. Has an aluminum alloy frame, and what I believe is a steel possibly a dura-coat type coated slide. Came with 2 mags, one numbered to the rest of the numbers on the barrel, frame, and slide.
    Also has the Archer in the plastic grips that are knurled on back-strap, and the frame is grooved on front-strap and trigger guard. Of course CAI had to stamp right next to the Eagle, oh well could have been bigger like the Maks they messed up.
    Here's my wonderful Grace and the 7, oops 8 Gnomes, to start the show!

Last edited by manic mechanic; 06-01-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Better title description, maybe

Despite its attributes the pistol did not get anywhere because original rendition had cast steel frame and empty weight was close to 40oz. I would rate it equal to 3rd generation S&W or Ruger 'P' series weapons. The barrel is polished chrome over steel. While a bit loose old Beretta 92 military magazines with steel bases can be modified to work in that gun. Original magazines and spare parts are made of unobtainium. I carry same gun that polish policja and straz graniczna use except mine is chambered for 11.43x23 instead of 9x19 cartridge. Bigger is better.

I have to say you have a beautiful daughter. She a junior or senior in high school?

Is the mod just making a new slot for the mag catch? Also what pistol in 45acp is it that you carry?
    Thanks for the info BTW!
    ruskiegunlover thanks for the compliment, I'll pass it on to her. She's a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by slavcio View Post
    Despite its attributes the pistol did not get anywhere because original rendition had cast steel frame and empty weight was close to 40oz. I would rate it equal to 3rd generation S&W or Ruger 'P' series weapons. The barrel is polished chrome over steel. While a bit loose old Beretta 92 military magazines with steel bases can be modified to work in that gun. Original magazines and spare parts are made of unobtainium. I carry same gun that polish policja and straz graniczna use except mine is chambered for 11.43x23 instead of 9x19 cartridge. Bigger is better.

Fellow that let me shoot his MAG-95 wanted 15 round magazine in addition to two ten shot ones that came with the pistol. He used old Beretta 92 while little loose it functioned fine. I do believe modification involved mag slot modification. I use S&W99 which is Walther 99 with S&W-made slide.

manic mechanic,

Nice looking M.A.G. 98 I got one of these from C.A.I. as well. They forgot to send me the holster, mag. loader and the original cleaning rod. So I'm waiting for those to come. Have you had a chance to take it out to the range? Although mine came in excellent condition the sights seem to be off. It was hitting low left, even from a bench rest position. Otherwise it functioned flawlessly. I'm going to try to have the sights adjusted or replaced. Does anyone know what sights are compatible with these?

Weasel

I haven't shot it yet, hopefully this weekend. I also got shorted the same stuff, my ffl is looking into getting either an extra mag or the missing goods.

Where in order to get to the South, you have to go north

Glad to see this post. I asked about these when I got CAI catalogue in mail, but no one responded as having one.

Thanks for pictures

Got one of these bad boys on order. I cant wait to get it. I love polish firearms....

Well finally getting back to the target pics that the 16 year old young eyes did me in with, but I think I'll get better once I pick the right glasses, LOL! First 4 our mine and the last 2 are Chet's. We did shoot the Sig P226 for comparison also, those are our last targets in each group.

Here's a SigP226 comparison target

Here's Chet's targets with those young 16 year old's eyes!

Sig P226
    Last edited by manic mechanic; 06-17-2012 at 03:19 PM.

This gun shoots like a dream, i just took my new one to the range on Friday! I love it!!!!

BTW. Beretta GI mags work in this gun with a little dremmel work!

MOre on the dremel work please.

The OEM Taurus mags would not lock in with out modification. I pulled out two GI mags that I already modded for my Taurus and they locked in and fed. With that said, I feel I could have gotten them in better and fed better with a little work. I originally opened up the mag catches and rounded the corner at the top of the mag to get the GI mags to work on my taurus. I have not done specific work to get them to fit the MAG98 yet.

just picked up mine from J&G and I have to say that after running 150 flawless rounds through it, I am very pleased with this pistol. now I just need sources on surplus mags/Taurus mags so that I can feed this Polish Beast.

Yez, I've picked up some 92 mags that have the flat floor plates that I need to make time to mod and test. Why is there only 24 hours in a day anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by manic mechanic View Post
    Yez, I've picked up some 92 mags that have the flat floor plates that I need to make time to mod and test. Why is there only 24 hours in a day anyway?
    where have you found any of these mags at a remotely reasonable price? everything I have run into is at least $20.00 and I do not feel confortable throwing away $20 each on every mag that I start hacking on...... help a brotha out....

I picked them up at a great price off of the Beretta Forum, but the seller is out of them and hasn't been on the forum for a while now, 7/18 was his last login.
    http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=86111

I haven't purchased any from this guy, but he appears to have the same or newer production mags. I have no interest in his sales and may pick up a couple more if the mod works out ok.
    http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthrea...672#post823672
    Last edited by manic mechanic; 08-15-2012 at 05:12 AM.

Got a rare Polish MAG 98 + accessories on on its way. Good in my collection. Only a small batch imported. Soon to be gone. Kinda sad how so few surplus firearms being imported anymore other than Nagants.
    http://www.jgsales.com/polish-mag-98,-9x19...on.-p-5863.html[/url]
    Addicted to guns and want them all before I die.

Anyone received their accessories yet and can post a pic?

Got mine in yesterday. Not best finish..should clean up OK. Both my mags serial numbers match the pistol. All in all satisfied.
    J&G must have sold out.
    Buds raised ther price to over $2000....an error I hope..
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+4.5+ALY+DT+15
    Addicted to guns and want them all before I die.

Ordered one tonight from Classic Firearms for $279+$10 hand select fee + $15 shipping, or about $305. This review from youtube says Taurus PT 92/99 mags work (1:33), even Taurus 20-rd mags (1:48). It's a very positive review, but does point out that the line of recoil force is high so that the pistol tends to rise when fired. It also shows (4:05) a nice molded holster (Uncle Mike's for Sig Sauer P229) that seems to fit well. He also doesn't like the pistol's finish.
    Last edited by Goberserk; 10-13-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goberserk View Post
    Ordered one tonight from Classic Firearms for $279+$10 hand select fee + $15 shipping, or about $305. This review from youtube says Taurus PT 92/99 mags work (1:33), even Taurus 20-rd mags (1:48). It's a very positive review, but does point out that the line of recoil force is high so that the pistol tends to rise when fired. It also shows (4:05) a nice molded holster (Uncle Mike's for Sig Sauer P229) that seems to fit well. He also doesn't like the pistol's finish.
    Thanks for the purchase! Looking forward to hearing how your experiences goes.

Does anyone know how the grips come off this gun. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
    Does anyone know how the grips come off this gun. Thanks.
    Did you try the two flat head screws?

Yes, actually, the flathead screws were the first thing I tried

OK the other part that is holding each one on is a molded lip at the top. To get them off you need to pull (not forcefully) the bottom part outward while pushing down on the top. The should slide down and you'll be able to remove them the rest of the way. Here are some pics so you can see what I'm talking about.;

Also they are much easier to put back on. They are pretty snug even without the screws.

Thanks Weasel!!

Thanks for the pics and the explanation weasel. I thought it must be what you discribed but didn't want to break them.

I received my MAG-98 from Classic Firearms tonight. It was made in 1999 and has a low serial number (VB00101). Wow, this gun is in great shape and looks like it's never been issued. It came with two magazines, both with serial numbers, one matching the gun. I can't wait to get to the range!

I see centuryarm has a training pistol mag 98. This would make a good parts gun. Does anyone know what they are asking $. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goberserk View Post
    I received my MAG-98 from Classic Firearms tonight. It was made in 1999 and has a low serial number (VB00101). Wow, this gun is in great shape and looks like it's never been issued. It came with two magazines, both with serial numbers, one matching the gun. I can't wait to get to the range!
    Great to hear! Looking forward to hearing the range report.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicFirearms View Post
    Great to hear! Looking forward to hearing the range report.
    I finally got out to the range today, and ran 100 rounds through it. I must admit I did not shoot it really well, but I hope I will improve with more experience. I shoot my CZ-82 a little better. I think both are fixed-sighted for a longer distance, and shoot low and the distance I was shooting. I think the slide-lock spring on the MAG might be a little weak, as the slide failed to lock back several times, and slid forward on its own a few times. I'm starting to worry about parts...

P.S. The second time to the range, I learned it is only with the second magazine that I have trouble with the slide lock. The magazine that is serial-number matched to the gun works fine. I can't spot the critical difference between the two magazines. I wonder what a gunsmith might charge to make the second magazine work?

P.P.S. With the slide off, I could see how the follower pushes the slide lock lever up when the magazine is empty. The bad magazine may have a weak spring. I sprayed some oil in it to make sure the follower isn't sticking.
    Last edited by Goberserk; 11-22-2012 at 12:42 PM.

I ordered a new mag spring from Wolff for my one magazine, fits perfect. The spring it came with was toast. Bent, twisted, weak, too short, too narrow. Per the follower thing. I got a couple of GI Beretta mags to try to modify to fit the Mag98. Mostly it amounts to opening up the mag catch hole, one side only to make it seat. Problem then is the difference in the follower. If you look at them side by side, you see that the GI follower needs to be built up on the left forward area to match the mag98 follower. I did this with some JB Weld, then filed it down to approximate the 98. It works so far not shooting. Shooting it will tell the tale. It may work as I dont think there is a huge amount of stress right there.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3shooter View Post
    I ordered a new mag spring from Wolff for my one magazine, fits perfect. The spring it came with was toast. Bent, twisted, weak, too short, too narrow. Per the follower thing. I got a couple of GI Beretta mags to try to modify to fit the Mag98. Mostly it amounts to opening up the mag catch hole, one side only to make it seat. Problem then is the difference in the follower. If you look at them side by side, you see that the GI follower needs to be built up on the left forward area to match the mag98 follower. I did this with some JB Weld, then filed it down to approximate the 98. It works so far not shooting. Shooting it will tell the tale. It may work as I dont think there is a huge amount of stress right there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2831.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	731326Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2830.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	300.1 KB 
ID:	731327Left is Mag98 mag. Middle mag is modified with JB Weld for build up and right mag is unmodified M9 GI mag. Right pic is amount had to open the mag catch hole to seat. Using small files.

Good job let us know how it works out.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS! !

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Try again. Forgot to hit the right button I guess!

So tried the mags today. The modded mag with the JB Weld worked perfectly, better in fact than the issue mag with new M9 Wolff xtra power spring, which still had a few FTF. Going to swap that spring for another M9 mil std spring and see how that works. Second time out for the pistol and shot very well again for me. Like the gun, dont like it when there are issues, but I suspect its a mag problem only. Too bad issue mags are nonexistent.

Appears I'm going to have a project on my hands in modding some 92s I've picked up for just this reason. Time just has been at a premium.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Shot mine today again with the Beretta M9 mag spring in my one fact mag and today it ran 100 percent. Not sure why the Wolff extra power mag spring didnt run last time, or maybe it needed to seat or whatever. Should have run perfect. Anyway, good to go now with one issue mag that runs and one modded mag that runs. Bout all one can ask I guess. Had a good session shooting this, my boys SR9, my Tokarev, the Bulgy Mak, Polish P-64 and finally my FEG APK Mk II .380. All guns ran perfect and shot well, as did the shooters.