Thread: Did the Gew 88 use the same sling as the Gew 98?

Default Did the Gew 88 use the same sling as the Gew 98?

I have a Gew 88 that needs a sling. Did they use the same sling that was on the Gew 98?

Very similar sling, I believe. The Gew98 sling shared a lot of the same attributes in design and installation, at least.

I view the repro Gew98 slings as suitable for Gew88's... just IMHO.

Good site to bookmark: http://rifleslings.com/German_Slings.htm
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

Essentially yes, but the sling for the Gew88 was slightly (maybe an inch or two?) longer. The sling for the 88 will work on the 98 fine but a sling made for the 98 is barely long enough for an 88.

There are also differences in the buckle and detachable swivel attachments.

...unless you got your '88 from a South American country where they put a swivel loop in the rear base. Then you either try to put the toothpaste back in the tube or pick a sling that 'may' have been the right one...
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

Thanks for the input. I will start with a Gew 98 sling and keep my eyes open for the correct one.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...&idcategory=53

Despite the description, these are Gewehr 88 style slings. Too bad they're out of stock, but that might be temporary. I sold an original 88 sling recently, they doesn't fetch quite as much as original 98 slings.

Very interesting. They are made from original 1920s and 1930s Czech slings for their long Vz22. Someday someone will be cursing them for modifying original Czech slings.

(I've done a few of these for reenactors and collectors myself so I'm just as guilty....... )