Gunboards Forums banner

Help needed with p-83 wanad disassembly

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  petesimon 
#1 ·
I broke down and purchased a Polish P-83 this weekend. It's an interesting piece, very similar to the Makarov in size, weight and operation. It is not so obviously user friendly past the initial takedown. I want to remove the firing pin to clean out the channel. I can't figure it out, (the lack of availible spares tempers my enthusiasm,) and can find no information out there in computer land. Can anyone share the secret with me? Thank you for your interest. Yours, etc., ABTOMAT

#5 ·
OK. After checking on the P-64 site I got a start on removing the firing pin. I will never do it again! I will share my knowledge in hope that it will save someone else the misery I went through. 1st, rotate safety between the safe and fire detents. 2nd, depress the firing pin all the way in and retain it. 3rd, rotate the saftey to where the lever points to the 2:00 position. This is crucial. The detent can, (and in my case did,) become lodged in one of the millled cutouts on the safety spindle. It will then lock everything up halfway out. You will then have to do a lot of creative work with a small screwdriver with a sharp edge to shove the detent back into its cavity to remove or install the safety. Keeping the safety at the 2:00 position, pull it out, taking care to catch the spring loaded firing pin and the safety detent and spring. TO REASSEMBLE I recommend tweezers to reposition the detent and spring. Depress the detent so the safety can be reinstalled, again at the 2:00 position. Insert enough to capture the detent but allow room to replace safety. Depress the safety and rotate drum back halfway to fire and safe settings. If the safety does not pop back in use a pair of needle nose pliers to gently rotate it to a place where it does pop into position. Things should be right by this time. If you happen to destroy the firing pin spring, as I did, chose an approriate one from a ball point pen, they are uncannily similar. I have found the P-83 well made but not as easily serviced as the Makarov. It does not like Hornady hollow points or Blazer aluminium cases. Both are non-issues for my PM's. There is also a bit more muzzle flip when firing which I ascribe to the P-83 bore axis sitting higher when the pistol is gripped. Anyway, these are my experiences. With sincere regrets that I strayed from true Makarovs, ABTOMAT

#6 ·
Brother ABTOMAT, your statement, "With sincere regrets that I strayed from true Makarovs". Well I'm attempting to own my second handgun model, the Ruger SR 1911, it is on back order, but I hope I won't experience the same feeling, I doubt it! The Makarov is the only handgun I have any experience with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.