Gunboards Forums banner

Help me with Bosnian Kar98k sniper... scope/mount options

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Alex_M 
#1 ·
Hello all, this is the gun in my sig line, real Bosnian sniper. I will post more about it soon in Mauser forum... it has a twist.

But since it's a sniper and needs some mounts and rings and scope I thought I'd ask the experts here about it. It's a Yugo refurb and has a Kar98k action. Looks like the bolt handle was modified to go lower and there is a cutout in the stock for it. The mount holes look like they have threads still.

There is good info here: http://www.texastradingpost.com/yugosniper/m48sniper.html but I know you all will know some more. Seems like the Bosnians used a lot of stuff in the war, that's nice because I have options.

I don't have the cash to buy goodies now but someday I'll make it a scoped sniper again. I hopefully would like period equipment, not replica unless it's the same thing still being made.

And oh man is the trigger sweet...

See less See more
#5 ·
I have had no luck getting Zrak USA to respond back using email after several attempts....guess I need to call. I found the bases and scope for my rifle, but the darn holes don't match up with the mauser bases. Still considering if I shoulld redrill the bases or get a set of blanks from Zrak. I do not want to redrill and tap the receiver. My rifle is one of the CAI imports that had no mounts or bases attached, and this is probably why it had no bases. Wondering if these rifles ever had anything actually mounted on them? My thought is probably not...

#6 ·
Hey guys I've been told I might have one of these but I'm not sure. It's got the yugo crest on the top, mod.98 on the side. Original looking K98 red laminate stock which is slightly blonde. 2stage trigger. And drilled n tapped. The receiver holes are almost exactly 1" from far edge of one hole the far edge of the other whole. (no calipers or I'd have more precise measurements) rear holes are little over half an inch. Serial is 9020. Any ideas? Paid 200 for it at a pawn shop.

#7 ·
If you post pics we could tell for sure. If there are any stock carvings/writing, that would give it away as specifically Bosnian. The measurements sound similar to mine.

I recently asked p-a distributing if they had the Mauser Banner mounts, and they said they had none. I was hoping to make a ghetto mount with an old German scope but without the right bases I can't do anything.

If you want to buy the full rig the member Rasputin had one recently for sale, ask him.

BTW this is the full story of this gun: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...an-Kar98k-sniper-(w-special-trenchart-story!)

#9 ·
Yeah all my photos are bad, no good camera. Here's a link to another site where I have pics,
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=103983
I've been told so many did things by so many did people idk what I have lol. By looking up the waffen stamps I dated it near 39-40.
Well it's obviously a Yugoslavian refurbished Kar98k that came from the Nazis. As for the holes, your front mount holes look a bit farther apart than mine while the back look the same. Maybe they screwed up the hole sizes and never used the gun for sniping? My gun has the bolt stem lowered further and the stock inletted while yours doesn't.

Overall you did very well for $200 and I doubt the mounting holes were done in the USA. Does the bayonet match and was the sling on the gun when you bought it?

#10 ·
Nope sling and bayonet are separate purchases just for looks. Bayonet is Pred 44 tho lol. Yeah the thing that threw me was it seemed hard to find a yugo Mauser with the stock that has the takedown disk and sling hole? So how much is a gun like this worth? I just love ww2 stuff, that's why I got it at first, my first gun purchase ever lol.

#11 ·
I'll get some pics and measurements posted soon on my YUGO sniper. Problem I ran into? The Zrak mounts I obtained don't match the drilled and tapped holes on my rifle. The rifle was one of the unscoped with no mount rifles sold. Probably for a reason I assume.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.