Thread: BNZ 45

Default BNZ 45

I wanted to share a few pics of the rifle my Grandfather left me. It's a BNZ 45 he brought home from Germany. Hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new 271.jpg   new 269.jpg   new 266.jpg   new 265.jpg   new 264.jpg   new 262.jpg  

new 258.jpg   new 252.jpg   new 272.jpg  

very nice, here is mine. What is the serial number and block on your rifle?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...of-pictures%29
    As of 9/17/2011 new member of the 98k Sniper Club, bcd 45 lsr
    11/2/12 SSZZA4 bnz 43 #8301 added to the family
    1/2/13 Joined the Classic Arms 91/30 PU family

Bitterly clinging to my guns and religion since 11/6/2012

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The ser # is 405 T

Very nice rifle! Is the bolt and other parts matching the barrel ser. #? Looks totally correct from what I see.

I have a bnz45 in the "S" block and is pictured in the same thread that 8x57mauser mentioned above. Mine is toward the end of that thread.

BTW, welcome to gunboards! There's no finer site that has so much to offer a 98k enthusiast!
    Collecting military surplus, the most fun a man can have with his pants on......

Here's where it gets strange. My grandfather had 2 of these. I have one and the other is my brothers. My bolt was in his and mine in his. The saftey shroud and firing pin match the bolt body does not. Why I have no ideal. No other #'s are found on the bolt. I wish I could ask my Paw but he passed and all I have is the rifle, some old shells in the boxes and medals. Thanks.

any chance your grandfather was in austria? being that the T block is the last block made by steyr, theres some pretty strong evidence on some examples that they were taken from the factory. That would explain why he had not one but two! otherwise just a crazy coincidence.
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money, that shall herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin

Be sure and check the numbers on your brother's bolt parts. It wouldn't be the first time bolts and bolt parts got mixed up. I remember reading somebody thought they had two rifles with missmatched bolts. If I remember right I think he had bought both guns from the same gunshop. It turned out the shop had bought both guns from the same person. Somebody had changed the bolts around sometime. So be sure and check both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    The saftey shroud and firing pin match the bolt body does not. Why I have no ideal. No other #'s are found on the bolt.

You are getting me confused. Can you show pictures? I assume this is your bolt that matches your gun.
    If its what I think it is, it could be correct...

**Looking for nice un-refinished late steyr (BNZ45) stock..

Yeah, I check my brothers, it matches 100%. I wish mine did but it dont. Just the shroud and pin. Yes, he was in southren Germany and Austria. He left Germany in Aug of 1946, a year after the war had ended.

But did you say the bolt body was un-numbered?

The bolt body has a # it is T 612. My brothers is S 7608. I all most trade bolts with a guy once. My brother came up to the house and when we compared rifles, thats when we noticed the bolts had been switched. At least I have a k98. I'm not a collector of just Mauser's. To be honest I've been trying to find a early war k98 for my son without breaking the bank.

A russian capture might be a good choice for a shooter grade pre-war rifle, or you can maybe find a pre-war sporterized rifle like I did on this 1936 s/147, ordered the stock from Mario and it all went together perfectly.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...6-range-report

The bolt body has a # it is T 612. My brothers is S 7608. I all most trade bolts with a guy once. My brother came up to the house and when we compared rifles, thats when we noticed the bolts had been switched. At least I have a k98. I'm not a collector of just Mauser's. To be honest I've been trying to find a early war k98 for my son without breaking the bank.
    As of 9/17/2011 new member of the 98k Sniper Club, bcd 45 lsr
    11/2/12 SSZZA4 bnz 43 #8301 added to the family
    1/2/13 Joined the Classic Arms 91/30 PU family

Bitterly clinging to my guns and religion since 11/6/2012

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The ser # is 405 T
    The bolt body has a # it is T 612.

If this is the case I don't think you could do any better only 200 numbers off..

I guess. I'm kinda sick at my stomach now. I just found out my brother sold his for $500 down in tennessee. His was a # matching rifle. When I picked mine I didnt know anything about Mil surplus rifles. I wanted it because I seen my Grandfather shoot it. As to why mine don't match, I wish it did but it dont. Thanks for all the help and advice.