Default Arisaka Type 38 with training markings

Picked this up today from an individual, Type 38 has the school mark, double 00 in front of the serial number and the arsenal stamp on the mum. The rifle looks to be in overall pretty good shape, has the cleaning rod and an old smelling leather sling attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0550.JPG   IMG_0552.JPG   IMG_0537.JPG   IMG_0538.JPG   IMG_0540.JPG   IMG_0543.JPG  

IMG_0544.JPG   IMG_0546.JPG   IMG_0549.JPG  
    Last edited by azetprescottusa; 06-09-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Yes,
    a decent school marked rifle. Can't tell for sure, but I think the sling is a modified Swedish sling, how many holes in it?
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Looks like 23 holes, I compared it to the swede sling, the example on the training rifle is wider as well as different stitching than the swede sling. The buckle is not sewn into the sling like my Swedish sling either.

What's the serial number range?

C/

Quote Originally Posted by azetprescottusa View Post
    Looks like 23 holes, I compared it to the swede sling, the example on the training rifle is wider as well as different stitching than the swede sling. The buckle is not sewn into the sling like my Swedish sling either.
    With 23 holes it is almost certainly a swede sling. The buckle is cut off, as on these examples; the width does vary a bit from sling to sling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sling blue background.jpg   slings on rifles black.jpg  
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by seinen View Post
    What's the serial number range?

C/

Quote Originally Posted by 03man View Post
    With 23 holes it is almost certainly a swede sling. The buckle is cut off, as on these examples; the width does vary a bit from sling to sling.
    Thanks for the pics and info 03 greatly appreciated, I should have known an original sling was almost too good, though the rifle was not represented as having one so I'm not overly disappointed.

I can tell by the unhooded front sight and the serial number it's a early Tokyo Arsenal Type 38, probably sometime in the 1920s. I have one like yours, but was made earlier, probably in the late 1910s. Too bad mine it's mum is ground and some idiot refinished the stock and the bolt is mis-matched.
    It seems a lot of the early Type 38s were given to schools like yours, but mine wasn't.