Thread: Stevens Armory Model 414 new Pics please look

Default Stevens Armory Model 414 new Pics please look

Does anyone have a picture of what an Armory model rear sight should look like? Can anyone suggest a gunsmith who is experienced in Stevens single shot Favorite type actions? Any help appreciated.
    Mc
    Last edited by Mc; 02-21-2008 at 08:37 PM.
    Ex-ASA 98G2LRU
    NRA Life Member

MC: I can help you with the former, but not the later. Here's a few photos that may be of help:

LDHare

Thanks for the photos, now I know what I have is not correct.
    Mc
    Ex-ASA 98G2LRU
    NRA Life Member

That rear sight doesn't look like the ones I've seen on those rifles before, It may be an after market model.

What I've seen is an "L" shaped stamping with a simple screw on the left (elevation), and a simple windage adjustable peep on the top.

MIKE@NDS:

The rear peep sight on my rifle is a Stevens"No.42 sight for a Mdl 414 rifle" as shown in a Stevens 1920 Gunsight Ad and included in Nick Strobel's "Old Gunsights", pg 269. I've attached a scanned copy below:

There may be another version of this rear sight as you suggest, but I'm quite convinced that the one on my mdl 414 is correct.

LDHare

Yes, your rear sight was made for the 414, but I don't believe it was the factory OEM rear sight.

This is what I normally see on them. (and I need one for my rifle if anybody has a spare)

Wow! Wonderful rifles on display here. Nice photos all around.

Default 414 Sight

I finally took some photos of the sight on my Armory model. It might be original Stevens as it is marked 414 on the bottom of the leg, but it looks like someone filed some grooves on the leg and made a spring to fit in the grooves to hold it in place. What do you all think?
    Mc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stevens 414 001.jpg   stevens 414 002.jpg   stevens 414 003.jpg   stevens 414 004.jpg   stevens 414 005.jpg  
    Ex-ASA 98G2LRU
    NRA Life Member

After looking at all the above posts a photo of an original rear sight is still not shown. Attached is a photo of the original sight as manufactured by Lyman. To my knowledge a model number does not exist.

smoke810 has the correct sight. Got two of them and both have this sight. They are not easy to find. Took me a long time to find the correct one for one of mine.