Gunboards Forums banner

My New 1943 Husqvarna M38

6K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  s.m.underhill 
#1 · (Edited)
Just picked it up from my FFL receiver. Now this is about as close to being new as you can get I think. If there is a better
condition one of these I would like to see it also. Matching numbers where appropriate. It sat for I think three days on Gun Brokers and no one Bid. Got more pics from the owner within a few minutes. Then, I hit that BIN before someone else could.
No dings, scratches or gouges in the wood. Beech stock, but smooth as a babies bottom. It simply looks like a new rifle.
It has been well cared for and must have seen very little use. At $450 I consider it a very cheap price for what I received.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you Swede. It seems to many buyers are lacking knowledge of what they see. The education I have received here and my
new Crown Jewels Book definitely said Go on this one. Education plus Condition, Condition, and Condition equals buying opportunities.

Now, if NW happens to have a proper M38 Range plate. Guess I'll have to have him do a little digging in his boxes. I need to cover those 4 tack holes.;)

#6 ·
NW Swede had access to all the M96 take off stocks from Kimber & that is where he got the M96 range plates . I have never seen the correct M38 range plate for the "T" sight anywhere by itself . Best chance is to find a discarded M38 stock with one on it . They are not available in Sweden either . There were M38 range plates on EBAY some years ago for the M94 sights . I have several of them , but they are of no use to your rifle . I say leave it alone & never buy one of those repro adhesive decals . It will pull off your finish if you ever remove it . I suspect the arsenal pulled the old M94 range plate off your M38 when the dark finish was applied & probably the "T" sight was added .

By any chance have you checked the stock & H/G serial number . I have seen very few that were matching . Every HVA M38 that I have owned , had a mismatched stock set & they were all modified M96 beech stocks , This is very common .

#7 ·
No, I will never put a repro plate on her. Since I knew how nice this one was, I told Brian (My FFL Gunsmith) not to take the wood off this one. It is so perfect I hate to even try to remove the stock and hand guard. Perhaps some day if I get really nosy about it. I just hate to think about having the metal or wood perhaps scratched. If I had any tools I would try and make a hardwood "stick" like Jimmy has.
But yes, I really would like to know myself.

#9 ·
You do not need any tools to make a fake " JimmyC " stick . All you need is a wood dowel rod & pocket knife to whittle the point . Just keep your doors locked & do not let any patent office personal into your house . Maybe Jimmy will sign off on a waver for you ?

Personally , I would have to know if the wood was matching ????? But , if it is a safe Queen , I would not risk disassembly . It is a beauty !!!!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
Steve, how I missed that one on GB is beyond me??? You did very well she is a beauty! Congratulation. To get a m/38 range plate is a journey for life. The one you need would be the real rare one that gives adjustment info to shoot the m/94 ammo in a m/38 that has the sights for the m/41 ammo. The other one would be for the m/38 which has still the old sights to give adjustment info to shoot m/41 ammo, that one is rare as well.
Even if you check the wood and you have mixed numbers in the stock it would be still considered correct for that model and year.

#15 ·
what range plate is this? it,s on a 96 converted to a m-38 spare strait bolt stock i have. eastbank. View attachment 556468
Translated to English= Sights for m/94, firing m/41 and then the adjustment information.
You have the second rarest range plate for the m/38, you have the old sights from the m/96(maybe with a Vaesteras insert sight) calibrated for the m/94(trubb kula=blunt ball) and adjustment information to shoot the m/41 ammo (spets kula=tip head, spitzer).
(Dear friends from Sweden, this is a translation with some liberty)

#17 ·
One of the guys I've bought from has two I really need to learn about!
An M41 and an M41B. He only let me see one pic of each. He is not quite ready to let either go yet. Within this year I am hoping.

#21 ·
From what I have been told the "OVG" initials stand for "Naval dockyard Goteborg"

Anders had some pics of the way rifles were stored aboard Swedish naval ships, however they were apparently lost in the last server transfer.

#31 ·
FYI--if you are tired of paying some FFL dealer to handle your purchases,apply for a c&r license.This allows
you to have any weapon at least 50 years old to be shipped directly to your house.The best news is that
the license only costs $30 and is good for 3 years. That is a real nice rifle. smu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.