Gunboards Forums banner

junk luger

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Essex 
#1 ·
hey 600 for this and 100 rounds. i went for it. there isnt a single part matching....ha ha. fake 'sear' and mag.
i have some questions. the saftey is 'loose' how to 'tighten'
i put 50 rounds down range, and the only issue was two fail to extract, ive sat it in kroil, and will try again tomorow.... shoots i tad high.
where is a good fake holster? fake mag? its a shooter for sure. the lower recever is ww1, and has the notch for the stock, where do i get one??
whats the marking on the grip frame? enjoy the pics and thanks
Sol

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The markings on the grip frame are Regiment marks. Possibly Weimar era, or Imperial. What I have read is that the / mark was used more post WW1. I'll take a stab at the deciphering, don't quote it as perfect I am still new at this.
8th Infantry or (maybe Reserve Infantry), 3rd company, weapon number 36.

#5 ·
You may want to disassemble the breech block assembly and make sure especially to clean out the extractor cut out as the extractor spring can get jammed up with crud. You can easily push out the extractor pin and remove the extractor and spring for a good cleaning. I find that a lot of functioning problems with Lugers stem from the lack of proper complete cleaning. There is plenty of information available to totally strip down and reassemble Luger pistols.

IMA-USA has good quality repro holsters. You should also pick up a good quality loading and take down tool. It'll make loading the magazine easier.

Original Luger stocks are expensive and tough to find. While there are repros available for sale they aren't legal to attach unless you register the pistol & stock set as an Short Barreled Rifle with BATFE. The C&R list exception for stocked pistols sets requires the use of original stocks with the pistols.

#7 ·
update.
ok i 'ripped' it. not a SINGLE part matching. not one. ha ha ha. and...
After sittin in kroil over night i wiped it down and went out. i did two rounds of three mags each as fast as i could load and shoot. functions well with no jamming. i did have an issue and a possable issue. they are..
one
the 'hold open' works off again on again, and when you put in a new loaded mag it slams home. ive ordered a spring kit, tho i think the springs have been replaced, im doing it anyway so i KNOW they have been replaced.
whom ever did the barrel replacement left a tiny gap in the chamber, you can see it, this may cause extraction issues. but again i loosed 50 rounds downrange and worked fine.
i got the saftey tighter, but it seems the pins holding the saftey on and the rear toggle pin are fake or hand made. i just fabbed a couple and put em in with red locktight. ha ha.
im happy. the funny is ive had four lugers over the years and the ones that shot and functioned well were of the 'junk' type.
oh one of the grips is a tad loose, any fixes?
thanks again
Sol

#8 ·
You can get mecgar mags if you don"t want to use the originals. The grips can shrink a little and become loose.

I used a small piece of rubber in the iinside corner of my loose grip to keep iit from wiggling around.

Yea do not attach a stock to that or you will be rangling for a 10 year stretch with Bubba at club Fed.

#10 ·
Looks fine for a shooter. You should have seen the first Luger I bought years ago. $125 and looked like some Ukranian farmer plower it up in 1965. Bare pitted steel all over, stovepipe bore and red plastic grips. You have repro grips and sideplate, plus whatever else. You might get a shim under the grips and tweak the pins so they fit a little tighter. Luger hold-opens are iffy even on matching guns, maybe you can dink with it a little and make it work better. If you got it running reliably, you got a good shooter. What ammo? I use Win white box, as Lugers are picky about OAL.

#11 ·
The "hold open" failure can be the function of two different things, I have found. I have two mags. The original mag has a larger knob on the side than the Mecgar mag. The smaller knob on the side of the mag sometimes doesn't engage when it slides all the way up on the last shot. There is also a small leaf spring that gets weak and can be the cause of the failure. It can be a bear to replace. It is a thin piece of spring steel and is very easy to break. Lugers are like rebuiding a Swiss watch. That can be fun.
I looked up the leaf spring part in Numrich. It is part no. 27 "hold open spring".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.