Default M1917 Winchester Sporter Find

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for advice on a sporterized Winchester M1917 rifle I picked up recently. The rifle has the sight ears intact and the barrel seems to be full length. The blueing looks original and is about 85 percent. No parkerizing. The stock has been cut down and the military front sight has been taken off and a new sight put in place of it. I would like to return it back to it's military configuration. Can the front sight be taken off and a military sight be put in place of it or should I look for a replacement barrel? Thanks.

rovin32

yes curse bubba and fix it, please.

It depends completely upon how they initially 'removed' the front sight.

A lot of the people who 'sporterized' the 1917 did so by sawing the barrel off behind the front sight. This accomplished three things: 1: It got rid of what they considered an 'ugly' front sight, 2: Gave them a clean surface to mount the new front sight, and 3: shortened that somewhat awkward 26" original length barrel to something a bit more manageable.

If you don't have a chopped barrel (and you do say you don't) and if they didn't screw the barrel OD up to put the new front sight on it, restoration with the original barrel shouldn't be all that hard .

Unless you like to re-do your work, be sure to put the front barrel band back on the rifle BEFORE you put the original front sight back on it.

Hopefully they installed the front sight over the slot and it can be cleaned out to accept the woodruff key. That's needed to hold the front sight in alignment and for the pin to traverse.

Thanks Ronbo6,
    Those were my thoughts too. I don't have the rifle with me yet, but I can measure the barrel length when I go to make a payment on it. I'm hoping it won't be too difficult and yes good point I'll make sure to put the front band on before installing the original sight. Thanks for reminding me!

rovin32

Thanks JB White,
    I was hoping they did install the new front sight over the slot and I hope I'll be able to clean it out so it can accept the woodruff key. Chances are if they didn't chop the barrel then they took the time to install the sight properly but I'll find out when I get into it.

rovin32