Default Thompson/Center Arms Hawken 50 cal - 54 cal shooters?????

I just recently got a used (like new early mfg) one. When cleaning after a shooting session, do you remove the breach plug? I`m asking because the manual says to do so when cleaning, but I`ve also read here & there not to remove the plug. What`s your imput on this?
    Thanks in advance.

no,i have been shooting muzzle loaders since the 60,s and never needed to remove the breech plug. you may want to get a powder chamber scraper tool, it goes on the end of the ram rod(looks like a common screw driver blade) and will clean the crud out of the chamber if it builds up.if cleaned right you will not need it very often. eastbank.

The breech plug closes the rear end of the barrel and should be left alone unless something is seriously wrong with the barrel. Since it is tightly screwed in, removing it requires the correct set of tools and sufficient knowledge of the matter. It is therefore a task for a qualified gun smith.

For proper cleaning, just remove the nipple, put the barrel end first into a bucket of hot soapy water (the real soap, not the washing up liquid), take a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch and pump the soapy water up and down the barrel. I have been shooting MLs for years now and never requited a separate cleaning tool for the powder chamber. After cleaning with water, rub the barrel dry and and apply some penetrating oil on the inside and the outside of the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielR View Post
    For proper cleaning, just remove the nipple, put the barrel end first into a bucket of hot soapy water (the real soap, not the washing up liquid), take a cleaning rod with a tight fitting patch and pump the soapy water up and down the barrel. I have been shooting MLs for years now and never requited a separate cleaning tool for the powder chamber. After cleaning with water, rub the barrel dry and and apply some penetrating oil on the inside and the outside of the barrel.
    Been a while since I had a muzzleloader, but I used to do this without removing the nipple. Instead I found a piece of hose that fit on the nipple and stuck that in the water. I probably had to pump slower than you, but it got the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    no,i have been shooting muzzle loaders since the 60,s and never needed to remove the breech plug. you may want to get a powder chamber scraper tool, it goes on the end of the ram rod(looks like a common screw driver blade) and will clean the crud out of the chamber if it builds up.if cleaned right you will not need it very often. eastbank.
    +1
    Amongst the sweetest of guns by the way...