Gunboards Forums banner

98 mauser feeding 30-06 - how to?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  HawkEyeEarl 
#1 ·
I need some adice or maybe pictures for a mauser 98 large ring long action rebarrelled to 30-06.
It shoots good. I am thrilled with the way it shoots. But it is a single shot so far.
but does not feed from the magazine.
1 round might feed but more than 1 clogs up the process. not room for 1 round to squeeze past the other.
how is this usually done?
Anyone with pictures of the feeder and top of magazine?
Does the old 8mm mauser magazine setup work for 30-06?
I do not have that.
I have a remington stock and magazine on it.

Thanks
Earl

#2 ·
Mauser feeding controlled by action rails.

a mauser 98 large ring long action rebarrelled to 30-06. ..does not feed from the magazine. ......not room for 1 round to squeeze past the other. I have a Remington stock and magazine on it. Thanks Earl
The Mauser magazine interior is a straight sided box; the feeding control is provided by the under side of the action rails. In the Remington 700 type actions, feeding control is provided by lips formed on the sheet steel magazine box. The first thing I would try would be to turn the Reminton magazine box upside down, (to eliminate the function of the feed lips) and see if it will feed. You may need a Mauser follower to position the rounds correctly to feed with the Mauser action rails. The Mauser 98 type actions were designed for 7,92x57mm length cases but usually feed the longer .30/06 rounds (63mm) adequately without requiring work on the action rails. There are commonly issues getting shorter rounds (7.62x51 mm Nato for example) to feed.

#4 ·
My remington box, as I learned, would not turn upside down. It went with the remington stock and was not mauser original. Only my action was orginal mauser.

I, also, received some advice about the feeding of mausers by the action rails.

Well I finally made it work. I fed dummy rounds slowly and watched where the rounds hung. I gently removed metal, retried the feeding of rounds until they started feeding with vigorous working of action. then I polished and rereblued. That smoothed the feeding up more. The box holds 3 30-06 rounds. they feed pretty good now.

that felt good.

Thanks for the help.
HawkEyeEarl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.