Thread: S&W 1917

Default S&W 1917

I could use some help with info on a S&W US Army Model 1917 I recently purchased. The serial number is 222XX so I believe it was manufactured in 1918. It is very clean,looks like it is almost unfired. I do not think it was refinished. There is no rust. Screw heads look untouched. It has replacement grips but he included the original grips and 6 full moon clips.
    My question is: Is it military issue or a civilian market pistol?
    On the left side of the frame up top near the hammer is an Ordinace Bomb. The bottom of the grip reads US Army Model 1917 222XX. It is the barrel that has me unsure. The military issue pistols have "S&W D.A. 45" on the left side (cylinder release side) of the barrel. Mine is on the right side.
    On the military issue pistols I have seen the right side of the barrel is blank.
    On the left side of my barrel is written "Smith& Wesson".
    The top side of the barrel is Smith & Wesson Springfield Mass USA and a second line with patent dates.
    The bottom of my barrel is blank. No US Property or serial number.
    A very nice pistol so for $500 out the door I am pleased but what do I have, military, civilian or a mix and match gun. I will try and attach a few photos. Thank you for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Model 1917 013.JPG   Model 1917 001.JPG   Model 1917 012.JPG   Model 1917 011.JPG  

Welcome to the forums, It does appear to have been reblued, the original factory finish on military issue M1917's was brushed blue which showed some of the machining marks. Is it marked United States Property on the bottom of the barrel, all military contract 1917's were marked there. You may very well have an early S&W commercial M1917 made after WW1 from left over government contract parts. You've got a very nice 1917 there and I'm sure that you'll enjoy shoooting as much as I do mine.
    NavyGunner

I'm a political refugee from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts

Actual, Smith and Wesson Model of 1917 revovers had a commerical quality blue finish. Colt Model of 1917 revolver had the brush blue finish with machine marks still visible.
    The Wizard
    Air Dropable AND Ground Recoverable
    Necat Omnes! Deus Suos Agnoscet.
    The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

I think you may have a GI 1917 with a replacement S&W commercial Barrel. Frame and butt frame clearly indicate military procurement (Ordnance bomb, butt markings) - is there a hole for the lanyard ring? I can't see if the bomb is blurred from polishing, but the barrel markings look a bit blurred, as if it was repolished for a quality re-blue.

Looks like it has proper case-hardened trigger and hammer.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	281.5 KB 
ID:	560046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	023.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	560047I agree with the other forum member. It was reblued but done nicely. $500 for a 1917 military S&W in 95% condition would be a real steal. Remember we're talking about a 95 year old "war time pistol". ( my two pistols for comparison )
    Joe
    Last edited by english; 06-26-2012 at 07:02 PM.

I doesn't show in the photos but there is a layard loop. The Ordnance Bomb is clear but may be slightly buffed. It's hard to say. The makings on the barrel are very clear and I doubt they have been buffed at all. The rifling is like new. Can't wait to get it out to the range. I love anything that makes a .451 hole. Lets see how it stacks up against my 1911's.

a lot of these were issued to protect mail , railroads , banks , air craft factories , they saw no real use , but they were very accurate and are fine shooting/colectors today ,

the early colts only headspaced on the moon clips later and the S&Ws had a case ledge that headspaced the rounds with or without the clip , i seldom use the clips in my S&W ,

Books get you through the time between purchases.