Gunboards Forums banner

Smith Wesson Military Police model 10

30K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  will5a1 
#1 ·
Purchased a nice five inch Military and Police. It was claimed to me that based on S/N the gun was manufactured in the twenties. Know this is not correct as gun has ramp rather than round front sight. Much to my surprise gun does not show code but only S/N 2025. Can you help me to find correct year of manufacture?

#2 · (Edited)
A couple of points and questions - if its a Model 10 its post 1957, Smith didn't start the model numbering system until '57. Open the cylinder, look in the frame cutout where the yoke matches up and if its a Model 10 it will be so stamped there,
i.e. MOD 10-5, or MOD 10-7, etc. The -number indicates the revision change. The other numbers there are assembly numbers and are not the serial number.

Check your serial number again, on the butt of the revolver, and be sure to let us know if there is a letter prefix, i.e. C 12345678 or S 9876543.

Can you post pictures? They would really help. Post back and one of us will be able to give you an appox. date out of the SCSW, but a factory letter would be more precise.

#3 ·
correction.

the full serial number at the bottom of the frame is 2824XX. there is no letter prefix

the ramp is 1/16 inch thick and does no taper from top to bottom

the 2025 visible when you open the cylinder must then be the model number. only problem is not aware of such model in the S&W revolver line.

your comments on the year of manufacture and correct model number will be appreciated

#5 · (Edited)
The SCSW just indicates a range of 1915 - 1942 for that serial number, but as noted above a factory letter would pin it down more precisely. FWIW its a Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th Change.

Are the grips walnut or hard rubber? Do they have the S&W gold monograms? Carefully remove the grips, if they are original to the revolver you should find the serial number penciled on the right one.

S&W didn't start heat treating cylinders for this model until serial number 316648, limiting yourself to standard or low pressure ammunition is probably a good idea. As I stated in my first response the other numbers on the frame in the yoke cutout are assembly numbers - these were used to keep components together during the manufacturing process, to make sure the right yoke went to the right frame, etc.

You should also find the serial number on the flat of the barrel (underside in front of the frame), rear face of the cylinder, the yoke, and it may also be on the rear face of the extractor star.

Pictures would help confirm this, enjoy your revolver and it is fun getting these old gun lettered, so give that some consideration. I'm guessing a 1916 ship date from the factory, but that's a wild guess only.

#6 ·
Military & Police

would it be safe to assume year of manufacturing was 1928 based on the first three serial number digits?

ramp rather than round front sight could indicate early target model, but rear sight is common channel on top of the frame, not adjustable rear sight.

the grips are walnut with gold medallions in excellent shape. no serial number. not target type either.

will use only light WC target loads.

any additional comment you may have will be appreciated.

will try to get pictures

#40 · (Edited)
would it be safe to assume year of manufacturing was 1928 based on the first three serial number digits?

ramp rather than round front sight could indicate early target model, but rear sight is common channel on top of the frame, not adjustable rear sight.

the grips are walnut with gold medallions in excellent shape. no serial number. not target type either.

will use only light WC target loads.

any additional comment you may have will be appreciated.

will try to get pictures
Mendiepe, Your pistol was assembled during WWI and very likely shipped mid-1917 to mid-1918. It would be unusual to have a wartime shipped pistol. Interesting. Hopefully you'll be providing a gift for the answer closest to what you discover from Mr.Jink's history letter. By now you have a clearer picture of the other details. That 4-digit number inside the crane/yoke area should be a matched pair, one on the frame the other on the inside yoke. These are the assembler's numbers used to keep the parts together after fitting and bluing. Nice revolver you have there.

And do not fire +P ammo in any Smith&Wesson without the Model or "MOD-xx" number stamped inside on the frame at the yoke. The manufacturing methods at the time did not heat treat the metal to handle these pressures generated by the +P loads.
Good shooting, Dan P.

#7 · (Edited)
No - I'd bet money its a 1916 or 1917 revolver, this serial number sequence started with #1 with the .38 Hand Ejector, Military and Police, First Model, in 1899, and ended in 1942 at 1,000,000, when the V prefix was added and the sequence was stsrted again at V1. This serial number sequence covered the First Model, the Second Model of 1902, and the Model or 1905, Changes 1 through 4 - I've got Jinks book open in front of me as I type this and he says serial number 241,704 was the first Model of 1905, 4th Change, starting in 1915, so I'd put yours as a 1916 or 1917 ship date but only a factory letter will tell for sure. There are some other possibilities here too, maybe a barrel change, a special order, barrel/front sight, modification by the factory or ???

Is the front sight pinned to the barrel or is it the standard milled? Does the barrel have the serial number stamped on it? Post back and do get pictures up, nothing like seeing a neat old Smith.

#11 · (Edited)
I can't expand/magnify the photos, so its a little hard to tell, but that looks like a much more modern barrel - I believe S&W changed the front sight from the half moon to the ramp style in or around 1952; and from what I can see (and my old eyes often don't see that well) it does not look like a filed/cut round blade modified to a ramp, but a ramp milled with the barrel itself. So if the serial number is 2824XX, and based on Jinks book and the SCSW stating 241704 dates to 1915, I think its safe to say its at least a pre-1920 revolver, probably 1917 give or take a year or two, fitted with a replacement barrel.

Older M&P's, if original, should have a matching serial number on the rear underside of the barrel right in front of the frame, above the ejector rod - if your barrel has a serial number matching the frame I am completely at a loss, at least with the info at hand. If the barrel is a replacement it will be unnumbered or have a mismatch number.

The grips look to me, as much as I can tell, as correct for that era and also look to be in very nice condition. The target grips you have on it will be much more comfortable to shoot with. Without seeing it in detail I can't say much else except enjoy it and thanks for sharing it, you now own what many of us consider to be the classic American revolver.

#13 ·
will5a1,

you made my day. there is a matching serial number under the barrel. had not notice this before but now the plot thickens. how come the gun ended up with a ramp front sight?

am far from an expert, but doubt this is a complete replacement barrel even if done by S&W. by the way the barrel is pinned to the frame. does this mean anything?.

only explanation can come up with is that old half nickel front sight was reworked by S&W or by excellent gunsmith at a later date for target purposes. weak link of this reasoning is why if for target puposes, an adjustable target rear sight was not added at the time.

the replacement target grips came from another S&W (K-38). just hate to think original grips could get damaged at firing range.

if you or someone else come up with an explanation or theory, please let me know. this may be a one in a million gun which will take care of me in my old age!!

again, thanks and hope to hear from you ........

#14 · (Edited)
The front sight - its was either modified from a halfmoon (most likely), or special ordered that way originally (not likely, but possible) or the barrel was replaced by S&W, and the correct serial number was stamped on the replacement barrel (again, possible, but not likely, and there should be a rework mark on the frame if so).

These revolvers often had the front sights modified, but without examining the revolver, or seeing detailed photos I am shooting in the dark (pun intended).

If I have time I will post a photo of a 5" M&P, late '30's production, that has had its front sight modified - I am at work right now and I am teaching this weekend so I may not be able to get to it until Monday. I believe it was a fairly common practice to modify these sights, at least its not all that rare. A lot of guys in the inter-war period shot various types of bullseye matches and also often modified the grips, the rules for these matches may have had a "service" type category that limited entry to fixed sight revolvers only, especially in police competitions. Cost may have been a factor also, modifying a standard M&P locally was probably significantly cheaper than ordering the target variation.

A factory letter will specify when it left the factory, where it was shipped to, and the finish, barrel lenght, types of stocks (grips) and any special features it had - for $30 you can't beat it. As to its value, I wouldn't count on it as a retirement asset, but it is a neat, interesting old S&W, and well worth having. Now if you should happen to come across J. Edgar Hoover's S&W RM, serial number 1, you may be able to retire tommorrow.

Edit to add - consider CW's offer to help with the photos, I just can't make out the details enough on the ones you posted.

#19 ·
That is a neat old revolver, I'd say your front sight started as a halfmoon and was filed to make it a ramp, I imagine you'll find it to be exceptionally accurate with wadcutters, and fun to shoot, and I still say any Smith that old in decent condition is worth a factory letter.

#21 ·
Military & Police

after a heck of a lot of detective work was able to confirm that original sight was half moon and was reworked to ramp by a former owner. reason given was it was shooting too low!

took it today to the range.in every respect is at least as good as my K-38. one big big exception is front sight. it is so thin that makes almost impossible to see it. this is big advantage for the K-38.

at any rate am darn happy with my purchase and unless Hillary gets elected, will remain in my collection for a long time. again thanks to all of you for your interest and help

#22 ·
FWIW:
The number inside the frame when you open the cylinder is an assembly number used in the factory and has no relation to anything else.
The hammer shape appears to be pre WWII, as do the grips.
I have been lucky enough to own several pre war Smiths and they are hard to beat. They have all been excellent shooters, and beautifully made.
FWIW, shooting +P ammo in it will loosen it up a bit over time-not recommended.
Enjoy it.

mark

#25 ·
savoia,

understand S & W will provide manufacturing date but you will have to pay about $30.

dont you dare to shoot +p on your new gun. ask a friend who reloads for a very mild wad cutter reloads to try your gun. would stay away from FMJ at this stage. hope this helps

#28 ·
Those 130 grain FMJs may be Hague Convention-compliant military rounds - I have shot up more that a few boxes of that I "found lying around" in my military days. Used it in a M&P of WWII vintage. It is quite mild, but was not particualrly accurate in my experience. Adequate for plinking around, bit not nearly as accurate as proper target loads (3.2 grains of Bullseye and a 148 grain HBWC was my choice in 38 Special).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.