Thread: K98 AR-41 Valuation

Default K98 AR-41 Valuation

Picked up a K98 in my travels a few days ago. Its an original bring back in really nice shape with the sling and would rate it at a conservative 95% overall. The downside is a duffle cut just under the barrel band which is typical and its missing the band spring. all matched but have not taken it out of the stock and does not appear to ever been out of the stock. I know you guys like photos but looking for a generic number valuation to see if its worth the time to take photos of it.

Best,

Kris

I am not into these rare and not so rare codes, without hitting the books, which I will not do. However I think AR is unusual if not rare. I do not find a duffle cut a "downside" its the next best thing besides papers to proof its a 'bring back' which is a big upside! If you want to shoot it the cut can be repaired. A K98k in that condition I would NOT shoot!
    I would guess at least 1500 bucks and maybe more to right buyer! Band springs in 1941 most likely were not serialed so that will be an easy replacement. However I really do not keep up with current prices as I no longer can afford them!
    There are several dedicated K98k forums on the net, I would go there! Do a Google search.

Quote Originally Posted by lornedavis View Post
    I am not into these rare and not so rare codes, without hitting the books, which I will not do. However I think AR is unusual if not rare. I do not find a duffle cut a "downside" its the next best thing besides papers to proof its a 'bring back' which is a big upside! If you want to shoot it the cut can be repaired. A K98k in that condition I would NOT shoot!
    I would guess at least 1500 bucks and maybe more to right buyer! Band springs in 1941 most likely were not serialed so that will be an easy replacement. However I really do not keep up with current prices as I no longer can afford them!
    There are several dedicated K98k forums on the net, I would go there! Do a Google search.
    Lorne,

Alright, was not sure if the band spring would be numbered and everything else is.

Best,

Kris

ar/41 is a tough rifle to find original-matching, not as tough as ar/42 but still quite difficult. Value would depend on whether it is original-matching; the DC is relatively minor to most collectors.

Not sure when they dropped serialing the band spring, up through the "d" block should be serialed, but it isn't like there is a lot of data on this feature due to the fact so few have both a matching stock and a collector-owner who images this feature. None after the "d" block of ar/41 are recorded serialed though it probably continued for sometime because the tendency to going sterile on serialing and markings didn't get going until late 1941, often not implemented until 1942. (Hitler's decree was something like November 1941 or so, ordering these time saving measures... it applied to all armaments manufacturing but took time to implement)

Hi,

Gun is an " i " suffix and all matching everywhere but have yet to pull it from the stock, have no reason to believe its not matched. Appreciate the info and took some photos today. Its a nice gun.

Best,

Kris

FWIW--A stock on a 1941 dated rifle will be stamped with the full serial number on the bottom of the stock halfway between the pistol grip and the butt plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunrunner View Post
    FWIW--A stock on a 1941 dated rifle will be stamped with the full serial number on the bottom of the stock halfway between the pistol grip and the butt plate.
    I went right over it and it is numbered in that spot and matches, I apologize and its been some time since I looked at these and no longer have the reference material.

Thank you,

Kris

Default Pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5758.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	561111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5768.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	286.9 KB 
ID:	561121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5767.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	561120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5766.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	561119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5765.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	561118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5764.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	561117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5763.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	561116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5762.jpg 
Size:	286.1 KB 
ID:	561115Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5761.jpg 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	561114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5760.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	291.1 KB 
ID:	561113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5759.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	561112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN5769.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	561122

Default 2

2ns set
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5770.jpg   DSCN5771.jpg   DSCN5772.jpg   DSCN5773.jpg   DSCN5774.jpg   DSCN5775.jpg  

DSCN5776.jpg   DSCN5777.jpg   DSCN5778.jpg  

Very nice Vid!!

I dig it! If I had the cash, I'd be willing to play a little bit north of $1500 for that rifle. It is a great looking example.

A pleasant surprise, thank you gentlemen. I found a band spring for it that should fit nicely. ;o)

Best,

Kris

Thanks for the pictures, the barrel might be FN made, they subcontracted to MB quite often, not too many barrels though, so far only a handful recorded to MB during 1941 and 1942 production. The waffenamt looks like e/103 possibly, a "k" block is known with another FN e/103 barrel, so it is probably an early FN barrel on it.

Are there any other FN components on this rifle? The most typical components seen are bolt parts, any e/103, e/140 or e/613 waffenamt on any bolt parts? What is the acceptance under the bolt body handle?

Barrel looks like a 103, under the bolt body is an e/26, but don't see any other 103 markings to the bolt.

Thanks, very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Vid View Post
    Barrel looks like a 103, under the bolt body is an e/26, but don't see any other 103 markings to the bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by SimsonSuhl View Post
    Thanks, very helpful
    My pleasure, thank you for the help.

Best,

Kris

That is a nice one!!

Thanks for posting!!

**Looking for nice un-refinished late steyr (BNZ45) stock..

I certainly would not shoot that rifle, too darn nice and evidently a rare one! If you want a shooter get a RC and go at it! Shoot one and you've shot them all!

Very sweet rifle. I bet it wasn't carried much due to the nice blueing left on the floor plate. Not sure on the muzzle blueing wear which occurs from hands gripping it while the butt is on the ground. Typically you would see patina there too. The follower shows very little evidence of cartridges being chambered so I bet the bore is like new. I bet it would push over 2k on broker.

Somebody had the stock off at one time because of the duff cut. That's likely the reason the band spring is missing.
    WTS: 7 unopened P-Mag 30 round Gen M2 magazines. Find them here:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ASC-metal-mags

Quote Originally Posted by award View Post
    Very sweet rifle. I bet it wasn't carried much due to the nice blueing left on the floor plate. Not sure on the muzzle blueing wear which occurs from hands gripping it while the butt is on the ground. Typically you would see patina there too. The follower shows very little evidence of cartridges being chambered so I bet the bore is like new. I bet it would push over 2k on broker.

Somebody had the stock off at one time because of the duff cut. That's likely the reason the band spring is missing.
    Exactly, I did not want to over rate the piece but it is sweet and the bore is mint, I have no interest in shooting it and do not collect them anymore. I am going to see what it will push and not sure what the market will bear and times are tight.

Best,

Kris