Thread: CE 43 Russian Capture Uncommon?

Default CE 43 Russian Capture Uncommon?

I was looking at a 98k RC CE43 today. It has the bold large block lettering not the light hand script style.

Is the large block CE43 uncommon in RC's?

Very common especially with the block letters. Sauer reached a double suffix production output for the first and only time that year. Over 340,000 rifles were produced. A script ce43 is uncommon as those only went into the "d" block and possibly "e" block of production.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

Looking for a original matching BNZ 45 "T" block bolt.

Can't be right Mauser Guy, I have two script CE 43's, an "f" block and an "L" block.

Quote Originally Posted by Hgyone12 View Post
    Can't be right Mauser Guy, I have two script CE 43's, an "f" block and an "L" block.
    Interesting, any pics??

http://www.ycgg.org/pdfpages/ww2/Sauer.pdf

"In 1943 the Sauer K98k again had two variations based on the manufacturing code. The shape of the “ce”code was changed from the 1942 style block letter script “ce” to a simple block letter “ce”. This change tookplace toward the end of the “b" serial number range so the first approximately 30,000 rifles have the script “ce”and the remainder of the year’s production has the block letter “ce”. 1943 was the peak year of production forthe Sauer firm's K98k's as the known serial number range runs from 8216 to 6567gg, with an estimatedproduction run of 340,000 rifles (this is the only year Sauer got into double letter suffix numbers). Weffenamtnumbers used were “37”, “359”, and “280”. All milled parts (including speed milled front bands) werenumbered to match the rifle. Stamped bands first appear in the 'bb" serial number range and they are alsonumbered to the rifle"

Yes, the information in the article is a bit outdated by now and with recent contributions to JP Sauer serial studies.... The script ce43's extend definately into the very late "d" block (I have one, serial 9XXX). JP Sauer is considered a big oddball k98k assembler and 42-43 is a very interesting year. In 1943 production, AR coded receivers finished by Sauer are just one oddball "dual code". Since Sauer never manufactured their own receivers, CE code marked receivers were assembled throughout the year from a stock pile with deliveries from Walther, Erma, Borsigwalde, etc.

So no doubt script ce's exist and pop up randomly into an "L" block and later but they are more uncommon. The switch to CE block letter roll marking was done fairly early into 1943 production. The later examples like you claim to have we're from JP Sauer using up receivers from "old stock". So the way I see it...after the "b" block, script ce's are a protected species in a sea of block letter style CE's. Please share pics as I would love to further update the letter block occurance of script style ce43's.
    Last edited by MauserGuy85; 07-15-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2936 (640x395).jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	565352 Mauserguy, Here is the serial number of the script CE 43 RC that I posted earlier. The letter is not complete, it looks to me like it just missing the top part, but I don't know what it is. So I don't know if ths is after L block or not. I always thought it may be an N, but I can't find a letter that looks like this anywhere.
    Mark poley

ce 43. 'h' block, I think.

Last edited by MasterChief; 07-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks guys!

7.92x57,
    Very Cool. To me, It looks like your example is a "r" block.... Which makes its the latest script ce43 I've seen in my personal observations.

MasterChief,
    Thats a nice looking "h" block script CE.
    Last edited by MauserGuy85; 07-15-2012 at 05:35 PM.

MasterChief, Is the MOD 98 on the siderail of your CE 43 in script? Mine is in block letters and actually partially double stamped.
    MauserGuy, Thanks for the letter ID. So would my receiver have been "lost" in production for a while or, possibly in rework for a flaw, mismachined or unmachined area that had to be corrected before use therefore receiving a later serial number?
    Mark Poley

Quote Originally Posted by 7.92X57 View Post

Name:	IMGP2936 (640x395).jpg 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	565352 Mauserguy, Here is the serial number of the script CE 43 RC that I posted earlier. The letter is not complete, it looks to me like it just missing the top part, but I don't know what it is. So I don't know if ths is after L block or not. I always thought it may be an N, but I can't find a letter that looks like this anywhere.
    Mark poley
    Could be an incomplete "n" block......a ce41 that I have

Name:	DSC03208.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	565455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03207.jpg 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	565457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03211.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	565458
    Collecting military surplus, the most fun a man can have with his pants on......

Quote Originally Posted by 7.92X57 View Post
    MasterChief, Is the MOD 98 on the siderail of your CE 43 in script? Mine is in block letters and actually partially double stamped.
    MauserGuy, Thanks for the letter ID. So would my receiver have been "lost" in production for a while or, possibly in rework for a flaw, mismachined or unmachined area that had to be corrected before use therefore receiving a later serial number?
    Mark Poley
    If the proof on the right side of the receiver is E/359 then it's a Walther produced receiver and should have the standard Mod 98 side rail font. If its an Erma supplied receiver with a E/280, then the side rail should have a gothic style Mod 98. That's the trend I noticed.

Unless you have an asterisk "*" stamp on the right side of the receiver then its most likely not a flawed or once rejected part. What im thinking is that in 43, quite a few manufacturers were sending in bulk amounts of receivers to Sauer and then they were randomly selected from a pile for completion into a functional rifle. From what I understand, Walther supplied their receivers blank and JP Sauer roll marked them in house while Erma for the MOST part supplied them already roll marked. Like I said before, Sauer was a oddball assembler of k98ks. You can never really stop learning from examples. For example my "d" block ce43 receiver has the script code, has a gothic siderail and is Erma supplied. Usually Erma supplied receivers receivers come in block style CE coding.

Last edited by MasterChief; 07-15-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Very nice Erma receiver you've got on your Sauer. By far the majority of the JP Sauers I've seen have Walther receivers. Only a couple of mine are Ermas. Nice rifle!
    Collecting military surplus, the most fun a man can have with his pants on......

I guess mine has a Walther receiver as it has 359 stamped on it. There is no asterisk stamped on it. Thanks, Mark