Question 8MM Stripper Clips,Buy One Piece or 3 Piece??

I'm new to this 8 MM Stripper clip thingy. Whats the better Stripper Clip for the Gewehr 98...the Brass one piece stripper clip or the heavier Brass 3 piece stripper clip.

Thanks in advance,
    Aryck

Default Stripper clips..7,9 NOT "8mm"

Quote Originally Posted by Aryck View Post
    I'm new to this 8 MM Stripper clip thingy. Whats the better Stripper Clip for the Gewehr 98...the Brass one piece stripper clip or the heavier Brass 3 piece stripper clip.

Thanks in advance,
    Aryck
    Dear Aryck,
    Welcome to the Mauser world of collecting and shooting.

First thing is to get the Nomenclature straight:
    It is a 7,9 Clip ( or a M98 stripper clip). Both are definitive designations which tell exactly what it is in few words.

(The socalled "8mm" can refer to a whole passle of other calibres, none of which are either German, or even rimless)

The Clip used in the Gew98 and Kar98K is a special design (width) with a specific number of side lugs (three usually). and can be made of brass, plated brass, or steel, depending on the era.
    The One-piece clip ( where the "spring" is punched out of the main body of the clip) is a WW I design, and is good as far as it goes, for a "use it and lose it" combat situation.
    The Two-piece ( body and spring) design is much better suited to repeated use. The steel spring maintains its springiness, and can be removed to clean out any crud which may accumulate in the clip ( dropping on ground, etc).

Now remember about clip width. All the Mauser "export" clips are wider, and have no or one or two side lugs, in different positions. The German Gew98 clip, used in all German Service Rifles to 1945, has a narrower body to the "export" clip, and has normally three Lugs on the side walls...the outer ones to locate the clip in the clip guide, either way up, and the Middle one to distinguish it from "other" Clips used in Export Mausers, of different calibres.
    THis distingushing feature was more for the Big Factories which made ammo both for the German Gov't as well as for export...to prevent clip mixup during ammo packing. (of different calibres).

Two-Piece clips are still available, either with Turkish ammo (they used one-Piece as well) and with WW II German ammo and Post-war Czech 7,9mm ammo. The Czech clips ( dated in the early 1950s) are usually chrome or nickel plated, so stand out.

BTW, where did you get the "three-Piece clip" idea?

Again, welcome to the wonderful world of Mausers.

Doc AV
    AV ballistics
    Brisbane Australia.

Simple answer: to me, the two piece clip is the better one. They seem to hold the rounds in alignment better, and for me anyhow they seem to put them in the magazine somewhat more reliably than the one-piece.

Don't get me wrong, the one-piece ones work OK, too but the two-piece ones just seem to work just a bit better. If I was in a timed-fire event where I needed to reload, I would definitely use the two-piece.

I have a fairly large bunch of both types of clips and I store a lot of my 7.92 ammunition on the clips (and some in clips in bandoliers) in preparation for taking it to the range. I keep all my 'spare' clips in a plastic sandwich bag in the currently open spam can, and I notice that all the clips in the bag are the one-piece variety.

Also, regarding the three lugs on the side of the clips. Other than for identification, the three lugs are indispensible for one additional thing, which is when you try to load a Hakim with a stripper clip.

The 'superstructure' on top of the Hakim receiver cover is both the clip guide, and a tool used to get the clip to sit with the corrrect set of lugs held in the guide to get the clip to where it will allow the rounds to strip straight into the magazine. Putting the bottom lug into the Hakim clip guide in the normal fashion is a very good way to strip all your rounds out loose, or on the ground.

Did the Germans go in for the "stripper clip" versus "charger" hairsplitting some other countries (and many collectors) get so hung up on? Some other forums, if somebody asked something about stripper clips the first five or ten replies would be directed to setting him straight about the proper terminology.

FWIW, when it comes to my British rifles, I tend to use "chargers", whereas with my Mausers and US rifles I tend to call then "stripper clips", or just plain "clips."

I believe the German word for stripper clips is "Lading" meaning "loading". Boxed of WW2 German ammo in stripper clips are marked I.L., meaning "Im Lading".

Makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Regis Rex View Post
    I believe the German word for stripper clips is "Lading" meaning "loading". Boxed of WW2 German ammo in stripper clips are marked I.L., meaning "Im Lading".
    Not so:

i.L. on cartridge box lables means "im Ladestriefen" ( "in Loading Strips").

So the Germans called their "stripper clips" Loading strips...sounds Logical and very Germanic.

BTW, they called the M88 Packet Clip by another name, relating to its "complete" nature. Just can't remember it.

Regards,
    Doc AV

Close enough for me. jeeze.

thinking the 3 piece are Turkish made.

The brass "one piece" clips that are so common (and often disliked) here are Turkish in origin but they are German in design and have been recovered from early WW1 battlefields on the Western Front, often in Belgium. See the "Stripper clips" thread in the stickies on this forum at:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...Stripper-Clips

The posts by Azrael beginning with post #17 describe the German-made one piece clips and explains where they have been found on WW1 battlefields in Europe.