Thread: NRF No1 MkIII* restoration project rifle

Default NRF No1 MkIII* restoration project rifle

Hey guys thought I'd post up my newest find for a project gun and see what you guys thought of it and if I can get any more info out of you all.

Its marked NRF in the right spot to be a peddled scheme rifle. Wouldn't they normally have had the right side butt socket marked as normal minus the manufacturer? If so I guess this one was scrubbed during a FTR? The barrel shows only a 3 for barrel date, must be a mis strike. FTR date is marked on the left receiver wall as '53. Barrel is like brand new inside and out. Lots of EFD inspection stamps, is that where it would have originally went to be inspected when it left NRF? All parts match but I'm thinking force match on the bolt maybe. Mag must have been a replacement un-numbered. What's with the BSA and crossed rifles on top of the barrel?

The rifle functions properly but I never had a chance to really see how it would shoot, the rain moved in on us pretty fast, only got four shots off between this one and the one I just finished up last week there. The brass shows a really weird sharp shoulder after firing. The case on the left is from my BSA and the one on the right is the NRF.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1108.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	565581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1101.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	565582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1102.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	565583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1104.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	565584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1105.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	565585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1106.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	565586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1107.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	565587

I'm going to really take my time with this one, I think it could be a very nice piece if I take my time and get all the right bits.

NRF didn't build completed rifles. They served as a feeder factory to Enfield and BSA where they were mated to other bits to form a complete rifle. Given the numerous government markings on the barrel, it would seem that a BSA commercial barrel from stock was pressed into service. That's not unheard of and examples have turned up before.

Thanks for the reply JB. The barrel date has me puzzled though, to me it looks like a 3 as in'53. Could it have been half an 8 possibly as in '18? Wishful thinking at best I think. Any ideas on where the FTR would have been done? Do all the Enfield stamps mean that it could have been completed there?also wondering when the change over from SSA to NRF happened? Did the factory close down at the end of the war?Really appreciate the info. Anytime I can learn something new its a great day!

It may be me but is the barrel off center?? It doesn't look like it lines up. Can you show a picture of the FTR electric stencil? Did they do that on No III*. I know they did it on No. 4's but most III* had the FTR stamped!

you sure that its still .303 british..........

It was one of the small batch FTR'd at BSA in 1953 (and possibly 1954...don't remember).
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --- Samuel Adams

I'm positive its still in .303? The BSA case measures 2.125" long and the NRF 2.20". The shoulder on the NRF sits at 1.8315" and its at 1.80" for the BSA. Barrel diameter is similar on the bullet test but I'm not set up to slug them yet. I'm no gunsmith, nor am I trying to say I am. Its just like someone forgot to cut the shoulder if they put on a new barrel in the FTR. Barrel serial number matches and is the same font. If it was changed to a different caliber in the civi market shouldn't it be marked as such? Thought it was illegal not to? Unless bubba had it that way too...

Here's a shot of the FTR mark
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF2031.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	565743

The barrel looks like its on straight and centered to me? When I shot it yesterday it shot straight.

Thanks jrhead75 that add's to my interest a bit!
    Last edited by flying pig; 07-16-2012 at 08:37 AM.