Default Price Check 9mm Ruger P89 w/two mags

My wife's has a friend whose husband has a Ruger P89 in stainless or some non blued finish (I will find out exactly what) that he is wanting to sell.
    He his asking 375.00 which I think was high end retail. The one I found for sale on an auction was closer to 225to 250.00. Because it is not a mil-surp and I don't keep up with commercial pistols (do they still make the p89?) what is this thing really worth assuming NRA excellent and or VGD plus? As always thanks in advance. FWIW I have no interest but wife wants at least one pistol she views as off the grid. I have an 03 FFL so this seems a bit pointless as they know who I am and where I live.
    Last edited by catsnguns; 07-18-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: I can't type

i dont think they are worth over 300 in excellent condition myself.they just jumped to the 375 mark recently(seen it happen with in the last year or so) because of the new models retail prices.but i think the new models have upgrades(no positive)so people want the new gun price for there comparable but old guns.i owned 1 years ago they are decent guns but i would get the sr9 for 350-375ish price.hell you can get a police trade beretta 92 for 375ish.

this place has pretty good deals on used guns,his stock changes regularly.
    http://summitgunbroker.com/96_Vertec.html
    http://summitgunbroker.com/96_V-ST.html

FWIW, they are not making P89's any more. They stopped in 2007.

As best I can tell, Ruger isn't making ANY of the large-frame P-series pistols any more.

cpw is online now Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

I have a couple sitting around that have never been out of the box or fired (except at the factory). I can't remember what I paid for them though.
    Charlie

I'd say the pistol is worth around $300. Spare 15rd factory mags are $30 from Midway so, I'd see if you can't get him to knock fifty bucks off of the asking price.

I got a not exactly pristine one 2 years ago for $250. I bought mags for $15 or 20 at a gun show dealer. So I would call the gun 250-300 including the mags. Mine was not abused, just not LNIB either, it had been shot and carried and scratched some, is all. If they jumped in price, I know nothing of it.

Its a loose gun -- it will eat anything, period, without jams, and it is very rugged. Mine was not especially accurate, as in paper plate at 25 yards but to call it a group would be insulting. An excellent bargain gun for defense, its heavy and large so not the most easy to carry. It is probably just stainless, pretty sure that is what mine is. I cannot think of very many other modern guns this well made and reliable for this price tag, and I actually think it is better than the later models (p95, etc). Its a lot like a milsurp: it will shoot, it does not jam, and it does not cost much! I used mine at 3 gun for a long time and did well with it, big targets at short ranges. Don't care for the trigger, its sloppy in SA mode (as are most DA/SA guns, its typical).

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    FWIW, they are not making P89's any more. They stopped in 2007.

As best I can tell, Ruger isn't making ANY of the large-frame P-series pistols any more.
    P345 & P95 are both still listed in the current Ruger catalog. I was impressed with the P345 handling & performance, but the P95 was just a cheaped-up P89, using the polymer frame. Haven't opportunity to try out the SR9 or SR9C, but, at least visually, they look to be a suitable replacement to the P95
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

I have had a P89DC since 94 and it eats everything I feed it with never a hitch. Its my EDC. It drills 2.5 inch 15 rnd groups at 75ft. And I would recommend it to anyone. If I ever would sell my I feel 300 would be a fair asking price. Just my .02 worth.

P89s here in AZ run about $250.00 with 2 mags in excellent condition

I would not go higher than $225.00 for one as I have bought and would buy again a P95 for $250.00

AZ