Thread: Russia sks value???

Default Russia sks value???

I was trolling the local pawn shops today an found a nice Russian sks.It is a 54 Tula,unrefurbed,perfect oil finished hardwood stock with matching numbers (no lineout)and no dings,almost 100% blued finish(not black refurb).I have seen a lot of russian sks and this is the best I have ever seen.Here is the problem,all matching numbers except the mag.I guess it was replaced at one time with a tapco or something and was lost.Now it has a original sks mag but is not matching.My question is how much does this kill the value?I know if it was all matching it would be a 600 dollar+ plus rifle in the condition it is in. I should be able to pick it up for about 300-325.Opinions?

300-325.. is a great deal. Just look at gunbroker if you have any doubts.. Alot of Refurb Russian SKS mags were replaced with elctro penciled ( mine included) during the refurb.

Mine is a refurb 1950 TULA all matching minus the mag, and i paid 350 + SH$.

Sub 350 you cant go wrong... they are going 800+ for non Refurb around where i live

The main thing that drastically effects value is-

1. Has it been tapco Fu*ked

2. Is the stock refinished/bubbaed

Nice !
    "Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty." Ronald Reagan

The price sounds good to me. I haven't seen many Russians for sale at the gun shows under $400. I had some really nice Russian rifles in the shop back in the 90's... Century Arms imports. They were all original, not refurb, no black paint, and in like new condition. Even back then, when I could get refurb Russians for $75-$100 from Century, I had to fork out almost $200ea for these. I wish I would have kept one for myself!

I got a chance to buy back one of the Tula refurb's I sold back then. The guy finally opened the box, still sealed from when I sold it to him 10yrs earlier, to find the red lacquer had began to peel off badly. He no longer wanted the "ugly" rifle. It doesn't look to bad...

Quote Originally Posted by mike 76 View Post
    I was trolling the local pawn shops today an found a nice Russian sks.It is a 54 Tula,unrefurbed,[b]perfect oil finished[/] hardwood stock with matching numbers (no lineout)and no dings,almost 100% blued finish(not black refurb).I have seen a lot of russian sks and this is the best I have ever seen.Here is the problem,all matching numbers except the mag.I guess it was replaced at one time with a tapco or something and was lost.Now it has a original sks mag but is not matching.My question is how much does this kill the value?I know if it was all matching it would be a 600 dollar+ plus rifle in the condition it is in. I should be able to pick it up for about 300-325.Opinions?
    The Soviets never used a "oil" finish on their hardwood stocked SKS rifles. The finish should be a dark iodine red shellac.

It should look like this.
    I never met a gun I didn't like!
    Dogs are better people than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMY C View Post
    The Soviets never used a "oil" finish on their hardwood stocked SKS rifles. The finish should be a dark iodine red shellac.

It should look like this.
    Now I dont know what to think.I thought the red shellac finnish was done during refurb like on the 91/30s.It looked like the one saxspore posted except with a duller finish.I guess it could have been striped but I know it was not sanded.

mine is a Early 50s stock XXXXXX wit the reciever number below, it also has a minor stock repair by the bayonet housing.. looks like it was repaired very perfessionally. i can also barely make out the tula star on the stock.

Ive seen a few of the early hardwood refurb/repair stocks in this color, i believe the one above shows how the stock would have looked before the repair and refinish by the arsenal. My brother also has a Russian sks refurbed stock and it is of the same color as mine. Mine came from a pawnshop in Georgia, it was extremely dry when it came in, rubbed some gun oil and it really brought out the color.

I have what I thought were marks on the stock that indicates a refurb, but have read that the bolt wouldn't be in the white. Can someone confirm this one actually is?

no some refurbs didnt have a refurbed bolt carrier/bolt (black). For instance my brothers 1953 tula has a rebuilt barrel, and stock but his bolt carrier is non refurbed.

Quote Originally Posted by mike 76 View Post
    Now I dont know what to think.I thought the red shellac finnish was done during refurb like on the 91/30s.It looked like the one saxspore posted except with a duller finish.I guess it could have been striped but I know it was not sanded.
    The red iodine colored stock finish can be either original or on a refurbished rifle.

A hardwood stock WITHOUT the red iodine finish is a Bubba gun.

On both of the lighter stocks in this post look at the grasping grooves in the stocks. both show considerable rounding which is evidence of Bubba here removing the original finish and sanding the stocks. Original and some Soviet refurbs will have sharp edges on the grasping grooves.

See the below pic. Notice the sharp edges of the grasping grooves?

There was no definite order of what was done at refurb. I've seen absolutely new guns with the refurb mark. This indicates that they were inspected, however does not indicate anything was actually done to them.

To be specific a bright bolt carrier does not mean it is or isn't a refurb as it can be found on both. A BLACK carrier is a definite indication of a refurb, as is re numbered parts, stocks and dark bayonets.

Quote Originally Posted by crffl View Post

I have what I thought were marks on the stock that indicates a refurb, but have read that the bolt wouldn't be in the white. Can someone confirm this one actually is?

I dont think I am going to get it.I went back today and took a closer look at it and it looks like the finish was probably stripped.The serial number and date on the stock were light as well,may have been sanded a little as well.If I did not allready have a few sks I might buy it for a shooter,but there is to much wrong with it to be a collectable piece.

I bought a Russian SKS today, Star & dated 1951r, all matching, most beautiful SKS I have ever seen, unfired, $ 250.00. And, from same guy, a MAK 90, also unfired with 7 30 round mags, One shorty, and 9 boxes of ammo. $ 450.00
    Live on a lake and don't fish,,,,,,,,collect guns and I don't hunt..........Be afraid, something is very wrong with this man !!!

^ such a tease.. post some pics son!

like anything it depends where you live in the country and the factors behind it. Russian SKSs are rare as diamonds where i am @.

I'm new and learning all I can prior to finding a collectible SKS. What exactly does 'Tapco Fu*ked mean? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    300-325.. is a great deal. Just look at gunbroker if you have any doubts.. Alot of Refurb Russian SKS mags were replaced with elctro penciled ( mine included) during the refurb.

Mine is a refurb 1950 TULA all matching minus the mag, and i paid 350 + SH$.

Sub 350 you cant go wrong... they are going 800+ for non Refurb around where i live

The main thing that drastically effects value is-

1. Has it been tapco Fu*ked

2. Is the stock refinished/bubbaed

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws2 View Post
    I'm new and learning all I can prior to finding a collectible SKS. What exactly does 'Tapco Fu*ked mean? Thanks

That... omg

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post

That... omg

Choate or Advanced Combat stock not a Tapco. Metal 30 rd Duckbill mag not a Tapco either to my knowedge. A Tapco setup looks much worse! Jaws2 a lot of people tried to make their $79 SKSs into a "tactical" rifle or Poor man's AK47s by adding aftermarket stocks and mags to their rifles. This was when the rifles were cheap and plentiful not considered very collectable as most are today. Easily fixed provided the owner kept the original stocks and mags. Unfortunately for the collector a lot of owners ditched or sold off the original parts. I still have a Choate hunting stock on mine as it is larger and easier for me to shoot than the smaller asian stock. I did keep my original though.
    Der Krieg findet immer einen Ausweg.

yea i know its not tapco, couldnt find a pic handy, but that image represented what i was talking about.