Thread: Portuguese M1904 39 Mauser Vergueiro Short Rifle in 8 x 57 mm.

Default Portuguese M1904 39 Mauser Vergueiro Short Rifle in 8 x 57 mm.

I picked this one up from a friend about two weeks ago. I didn't know much about it and had to do some homework.
    Portuguese M1904 39 Mauser Vergueiro Short Rifle in 8 x 57 mm. 1939 conversion of the 6.5 mm. M1904 rifle, to supplement the Armys m 937 Short Rifles. The Mauser-Vergueiro is a hybrid Mannlicher receiver and Mauser magazine. The Vergueiro bolt is a unique design, totally different than any other military rifle. The bolt-action is silky smooth, compared to a Mauser 98. Made by DWM, in Germany, 1904 1908.

All the numbers I have found are matching. I like this little rifle and hope to be able to make it to the range with is pretty soon.

It has a nice crest of King Juan Carlos.

The stock was replaced at one time but is stamped with the matching SN# below the rear sling swivel.

Awesome! I like those! I've only handled one...

Apparently the conversion was done in Portugal, even if the original 6.5mm rifle was built in Germany.

King Carlos was assassinated in 1908 and Portugal became an unstable republic prior to the rise of the Estado Novo in the 1930s, which carried out the conversions but did not bother to remove the old royal emblem. Carlos was not short for João Carlos [Juan] but rather Carlos Fernando Luís Maria Víctor Miguel Rafael Gabriel Gonzaga Xavier Francisco de Assis José Simão. ​Quite a name!

Neat rifles! Use low pressure ammo is the general advice, like Romanian. I've used Turk but won't again. No problem but the stock configuration liked to kiss my cheek. The bolt is unique, took me 4 hours to re-assemble but really simple once you know. Look online for instructions since I forgotten, haven't shot that smooth bolt in quite a while.
    Once again, you have a nice rifle that is a treat to shoot.
    Bill

Nice rifle, they have a nice smooth action.

Did the importer highlight the lettering on every one of these? Mine and just about every one I have see has the white lettering.

I think Bob in St Louis has slings for these, check through the trader for his post.

I too really like these easy to handle short rifles. Very nice bluing on yours.

Default M904/939 Espingarda Verguiero

THis one has the "6,5mm" XXed out, but the majority will still be stamped "6,5" as the originals were.

A very slick action (good for rapid fire competitions), and if the correct ammo is used (FNM 1970s, Romo, Handloads), one gets good repeatable results.

The Bolt, of course, needs three hands and a guide book to assemble quickly.

Other wise the rifle is a real dream. Only ever made in two calibres, 6,5x58P for Portugal, and 7x57 For Brazil Federal Police (M1907)..the former are rare ( Most converted to 7,9 in the late 30s) but the M'07s were sold in the USA in the early 1960s (look at old adverts).

Regards,
    Doc AV

While a very smooth action, no more so then a true Mannlicher action! The reason is the position of the bolt handle, almost in the middle of the bolt so it is not apt to bind.

I have one, and the fit and finish on these rifles is fantastic. Equal to the pre-WW1 export 98 Mausers.

I have one that I need a new stock for but other then that the action is like butter

Apparently the conversion was done in Portugal, even if the original 6.5mm rifle was built in Germany.

I thought I read some years ago, when I purchased my first, that the rifles were sent back to the factory in Germany for rework. I could be wrong. Jim

I also have one which was advertised on Gunbroker as a "drill rifle", and the barrel had been cut down the entire length but the cut did not extend into the receiver. Turns out that I had been sold a barrel advertised as a small ring 8mm which was actually a new unfired barrel for a model 1904 (SAMCO has them in stock it turns out) so I put them together and now have a great shooter. The rifle is very lite and Yugo surplus (M75) sure packs a kick. I got into it for $100 for the rifle and $50 for the barrel, changed the barrel as a project at evening Adult Ed Gunsmithing at the local Vo-Tech (the course is free to old farts who are vets).