Thread: Russian ammo tuna can....what kind of ammo is it?

Default Russian ammo tuna can....what kind of ammo is it?

Got this old surplus ammo can recently, I am wondering what it holds. Someone suggested it is 12gauge shotgun ammo. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ammo.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	569516

Sorry for the photo being upside down!

my Russian isn't too good, but whatever is in the can...there's 250 of them.

mystery spam can.bmp

12ga / 70mm would be your
    standard 12x 2 3/4
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

Thanks guys, I have seen the surplus mosin nagant ammo cans but this is the first shotgun ammo can I have seen. I did not know the russian army was equipped with shotguns?

they canned/can EVERYTHING
    and they have shotguns, just like every other army, hell the unit had one for mounting ammo guard, when required.
    Vic

Great will stuff them into my Baikal over under if all the hell breaks loose.

I got some similar cans from Century Arms back in the 90's for about $32/can. Like they said, it's 12ga 2 3/4 length. Mine were in black hulls, #6 & #5 shot with the hardest primers I ever encountered on shotgun ammo. But, it did work just fine in my Baikal IJ-27M over/under. That Bailkal really indents primers deep. Now I know why.

I've also seen that stuff with copper-washed steel cases.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Where in order to get to the South, you have to go north

Agree with jonny c. I've seen it in the form of bimetallic hulls, as they call it.

Good Saiga stuff, though I probably wouldn't open it.

It says "Hunting ammo. Amount 250. 12/70. Shot #5" (or) 5 pellets per shot. Not sure on that one. The rest is lot #s

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

How does the ammo survive in these cans, do you think its ok to use it?

After standing on my head I have to agree, No5 shot.

The ammo in that can should be as fresh as the day it was produced. As long as quality ammo is stored properly, it'll last a century... or more. Long term storage doesn't get much better than a metal tin.

It'd be cool if they're metal hulls. The fodder I got was just black plastic hulls. A bit different than US hulls. Thick as hell and the plastic was kind of soft. It was non-corrosive too.

I started a thread a few months back about military shotgun ammo. Where did you get this? I would love to hunt down a retailer that sells it.

it ain't military, sorry but NO military stocks 'hunting ammo'
    wait, I take that back, what size is the survival guns? it might be airforce survival ammo, but I though most used a 20Ga.
    Vic

One member sent me pm and told me not to open this yet, not until zombie apocalypse would hit us. HAHA

I seem to remember the Bimetal cased 12ga was surplus from the Soviet Forestry Service...I guess 'game warden' ammo. Good for break open action guns. I would bet that copperwash stuff had corrosive primers, but I can't remember testing any.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"