Gunboards Forums banner

fabrica de armas la coruna 1953

21K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  LVSteve 
#1 ·
Found one in the fun store today for 220, thought it looked neat but wanted to know more about it, fill me in if you know!

#10 ·
ClintJohnson - You are just spreading Urban Myth garbage, and have no clue what you are even talking about. It is obvious you are not even familar with the model of rifle in question.

Using your basic philosophy, all American firearms are complete soft steel junk because of the cheap Saturday Night Special revolvers cranked out from the Connecticut Valley around 1900.

#13 ·
How's the bore? If it's a nice one, I might be willing to fork over the $$$ for it...but I think I'd offer him $200 cash and see if he'd take it.

Rob.

#15 ·
While some of the spanish 43s were built on reused German Gew 98s. Most were new all Spanish made, and well done. The Spanish 44s for the air force were built on Polish Wz29s that were left over from the civil war. Though some other recievers were used, just scrubbed and restamped with the air force wings.

The only ones I heard of with problems are the 93/1916 rebuilds in 7.62 NATO.

#16 ·
The 1943 Spanish Mausers have been around for a long time. They were commonly available in the US as far back as the 1960's and, at least around where I lived, they appeared to lack something in condition, fit, and (mostly) finish, when compared to other Mausers available at the time. They could usually be bought for a LOT less than, say, a German 98, or any other 98 for that matter.

Most of them had the finish on the receiver deteriorated to a flat brownish color, and the wood always looked grey and dried out. They just didn't 'sell' themselves well in the rack down at the gunshop.

The shooters I hung out with wouldn't be caught dead with one.

This says nothing as to the ACTUAL condition and quality of the rifles, though. Most of them probably needed just some minimal TLC to look and function a whole lot better.

#17 ·
Well, it's a small ring, and even those don't have much problems from my understanding as long as some idiot (not to name any in this thread) don't try to throw some supped up .308 win down it, and then you could more than argue if you REALLY want to, that it's NOT NATO

it's 7.62 CETME, can I get head nods and rolled eyes.....
supposedly it's that playdo spammish steel that just melts at the sight of a modern round, or it's the lack of the 3rd (safety/redundant) locking lug at the rear of the receiver....
OR, you feed it what it eats and it purrs like a kitten, mine is nice, really nice, as matter of fact (oh, I'm going to hell for this, wait, I already hang out in the basement)
its nicer than any beat up nasty ol german gun, course it could be cause it was rode softly and put up dry.

#19 ·
The Spanish Model 43 rifle was NEVER built on German receivers. They were always Spanish made. The Air Force Model 44 in the first half of production was built on German and Polish receivers, plus utilized other German parts (such as rear sites) but after about 29,000 were made those parts dried up, and Spanish receivers were used. By the end of production, the Model 44 was 100% Spanish made.

#25 ·
Prior to the M43 going into production at LaCoruna, there were several arsenals dabbling with remakes of leftovers from the SCW. The period from 1939 to 1943 saw some crazy odds and ends produced, including M1893 and M1916 Mausers rechambered/rebarreled from 7mm to 8mm. I have an 1893 in my collection that has been shortened, redone to 8mm, and looks like a prototype to the M43. A lot of the German and Polish Mausers left in country were also tinkered with.

#26 ·
spanish steel is fine... but you cant go against the masses who just pass on what they heard, i have lots of star pistols with steel as good or better than anything usa built... had lots of spanish mausers also.... you get an old rifle chambered for mild 7mm, combined with earlier 96/94 pattern type and remake them to .308 and you get an ABSURD folklore that spanish steels are inferior... lots of bogus info out there and it shows up here quite often, no point in fighting it...just go with it...thats the difference between those in the KNOW and the ignorant....... plenty of both

#27 ·
The M43 rifles I've owned had very nice fit and finish..all three were in exl. shape and not beaters..

these can often be found in great shape with all matching numbers and No import mark..Love to see some evidence of the soft steel ..like pictures..folks have been screwing up and with handloads for quite a while..that and rebarreling seems to be the real problem most of the time with any failures on old milsurps

#28 ·
This thread is a good example of the confusion that exists in gun circles. We've got 93,95, and 98 actions, large ring and small ring recievers, original calibers, rebarreled calibers, manufacturers, factories, and workshop guns all scrambled together. Throw in the endless 7.62 vs. .308 argument, and we've got an endless fluster cluck.

To answer the original poster's question, the M43 Spanish Mauser is a near clone of the K98k, is 8mm Mauser caliber, and is perfectly safe to shoot barring any flaws in the individual weapon. And $200 isn't a bad price for a good bore in an original military condition rifle.

#31 ·
Guys, I own quite a few different spanish firearms, from an 1895 long rifle in 7mm, 2 STAR pistols, an Astra 600/43, a mint Guardia Civil .308 carbine, and others over the years and can attest to the quality and shootability of these weapons. I have 4 project pistols in work now (Ruby/Unique/Victoria/Astra). Please don't start collecting Spanish weapons; means there are more out there for me to get! :grin:

#32 ·
La Coruna Mausers- known by gunsmiths to be soft steel

I bought a LaCoruna when I was 18, didnt have a lot of gun savvy... Took it to A R Thomas of Manitou Springs, an old line gunsmith and ret armorer for the US Army for many years. Wanted him to sporter it a bit and clean up some of the pits. The guy was a grumpy old gentleman but he answered me fair and square- pointed out the issues with it, of which SOFT STEEL was one. We arent talking converted 7mms here but 1943 LaCoruna 8mm. POS. Still have it, stuck into a half-way sporterised stock, just in case someone ever needs it. It doesnt even come close to the quality of even the Turk Mausers.

#33 ·
I bought a LaCoruna when I was 18, didnt have a lot of gun savvy... Took it to A R Thomas of Manitou Springs, an old line gunsmith and ret armorer for the US Army for many years. Wanted him to sporter it a bit and clean up some of the pits. The guy was a grumpy old gentleman but he answered me fair and square- pointed out the issues with it, of which SOFT STEEL was one. We arent talking converted 7mms here but 1943 LaCoruna 8mm. POS. Still have it, stuck into a half-way sporterised stock, just in case someone ever needs it. It doesnt even come close to the quality of even the Turk Mausers.
I'll give you $20 shipped for that useless POS.Careful packing it,it might bend in transit.

#36 ·
Civility is the thing I see missing here. Lets find it. You wont bend a mans opinion by insulting him.

#41 ·
Those pics are not of an M43, so they hold no bearing. I can dig up pics of fail K98, mosin nagant, swiss k31. All thought to be good quality firearms.
I dont believe the soft steel myth. I do believe everything can fail.

#42 ·
Ok. Let me make myself clear one more time. nowhere did I say that Spanish mausers would grenade and kill people 5 lanes over. I simply said they have been known too suffer from setback. Others went on a tirade acting as if I had insulted their mother. So if you want to shoot them feel free. You may want to down the loads a little. M43 or not why risk setback and ruining a rifle? And if you have pictures of a failed Model 98 I would love to see them. Please no dinked with "gunsmith" specials. Purely in military trim.

#44 · (Edited)
cast boolits
a RELOADING site
wonder if that had anything to do with the kabooms

I can pack a case full of pistol powder cram a over size bullet on and blow a rifle too
don't mean the rifle is the problem, sounds more like operator error.

from the cited link
op's opening
The cause of this failure isn't known. I wasn't fishing for opinions on why it failed. Too many times we just don't know. But for them who buy these types of Mausers, the 1893 and 1893/16 and FR7 thinking they're strong because they read it on the internet...well... they need to know and they need to ~see~ what happens when one fails.
the very NEXT reply
I'd lay a bet that it wasn't standard 308 ammo. I'm betting surplus steel jacketed stuff or home brew loads.
I would expect to see a progression of stretched reciever, hammered in lugs, etc., long before catastrophic failure. If this happened for real and not due to an overload or obstruction, someone ignored some big signs.
ok, you showed a blown up gun
in this thread there is a majority of them stating that the blown up gun WAS NOT DONE under NORMAL conditions
once again Clint, WHAT IS YOUR POINT?
and what does that have to do with the price of rice in china?

edit
interesting explaination
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=381826&postcount=20
still not "soft" it mostly works into a discussion of the difference in failure between a brittle early 1903 and the FR7

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.