Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Default .32 Single Six ?s

One - anybody know if Ruger will fit a new (spare) .32 H& cylinder in a .32 H&R Single Six?

Two - anybody know if the 32 H&R cylinder in a Soingle Six is long enough to be re-chambered to 32-20?

Three - opinons on opening a .32 H&R cylinder for a Single Six up to take .327 Federal? Pressures are much higher, and am not sure what the safety factors might be. Since i;m not as brave or reckless or whatever it is that Clark is - I don't feel like "just doing it" and finding out what might happen...

I plan to get Ruger's take on getting a spare cylinder later in the week and will be able to measure one when i get delivery, also later this week, but if anybody has any ideas...
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

Clyde, I have one with a birds head grip. I contacted Ruger and they said it would not withstand the pressures of the 327 mag and strongly advised against it. The frame is not big enough to allow a beefy enough cylinder to be mounted. That is what they told me about a year an a half ago. The 32 H&R is pretty anemic and I was looking into something better. I did not check the 32/20 but if I can scrounge a round I'll take a look.
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat46 View Post
    Clyde, I have one with a birds head grip. I contacted Ruger and they said it would not withstand the pressures of the 327 mag and strongly advised against it. The frame is not big enough to allow a beefy enough cylinder to be mounted. That is what they told me about a year an a half ago. The 32 H&R is pretty anemic and I was looking into something better. I did not check the 32/20 but if I can scrounge a round I'll take a look.
    Most 32-20 is loaded pretty mild these days, but you can handload hot as you wish. Issue there is - would the cylinder be long enough for the 1.59" loaded length of a 32-20. I'd like to get a blued cylinder and then run a 32-20 reamer in IF the cylinder is long enough.

I'd be astonished if Ruger was willing to clear a Single Six 32 H&R for .327 Federal - but I do wonder if it would fit, and what the thoughts of others are on safety issues. Maybe Clark can be encouraged to try some and see if they break...

Uberti is currently offering a 32 H&R/ 32-20 convertible. I don't see why a Single Six wouldn't handle the same with proper handloads. I'm not all too familiar with the 32 H&R because I've never had a need for the chambering. I am under the impression that in the right firearm, that round can be loaded up to achieve the upper end 32-20-type performance levels? Yes/No?

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Uberti is currently offering a 32 H&R/ 32-20 convertible. I don't see why a Single Six wouldn't handle the same with proper handloads. I'm not all too familiar with the 32 H&R because I've never had a need for the chambering. I am under the impression that in the right firearm, that round can be loaded up to achieve the upper end 32-20-type performance levels? Yes/No?
    .32 H&R is probably pretty well obsoleted by the .327 Federal, but it is fairly snappy. 85 grain semi-wadcutter at 1030, 85 grain JHP at 1100, while 32-20 in revolvers gets about the same (Frank Barnes: "In a strong single-action revolver, the 32-20 can be loaded to 1050-1100 fps from a six-inch barrel...").

Cimarron offers, in its small-frame SAs (P Jr. and "Lightning" - same frame, bird's-head grip), the 32 H&R/32-20 convertible. Uberti-made. I'd like one, but since i have the Ruger now...

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

At any rate Clyde, you are going to like the pistol gun. Did you get the standard grip or the birds head?
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat46 View Post
    At any rate Clyde, you are going to like the pistol gun. Did you get the standard grip or the birds head?
    Standard grips. it wasn't as if i had a choice - guy was selling one he inherited from his father, NIB. And yes, i expect I am going to like it.

The Single Six frame opening and cylinder are too short for the .32-20. The only factory Ruger .32-20s have been some specials made for Buckeye Sporting Goods on the full-sized Blackhawk frame.

Quote Originally Posted by 2520wcf View Post
    The Single Six frame opening and cylinder are too short for the .32-20. The only factory Ruger .32-20s have been some specials made for Buckeye Sporting Goods on the full-sized Blackhawk frame.
    Also too short to consider .327 Federal, it turns out. The cylinder in the Single Six is JUST long enough to chamber a .32 H&R. Oh well, that is fine. I have some other 32-20s.

You might get away using wadcutters, but that sort of defeats the purpose. Doesn't it?

Too bad as the Single Six in 32-20 would be a fun one to play with. My Single Six is packed away so I couldn't get to it for a measurement. Interesting topic all the same and I'm glad you brought it up. At least I learned something about a subject which has only crossed my mind a few times, but never persued anything beyond that.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    You might get away using wadcutters, but that sort of defeats the purpose. Doesn't it?

Too bad as the Single Six in 32-20 would be a fun one to play with. My Single Six is packed away so I couldn't get to it for a measurement. Interesting topic all the same and I'm glad you brought it up. At least I learned something about a subject which has only crossed my mind a few times, but never persued anything beyond that.
    Somehow the idea of a 32/32-20 convertible has sort of interested me for years, and the Single Six is a very nice platform. I'm sorry is isn't workable for it. Oh well, some time when the biudget is looking better i'll get a Cimarron. Probably a Lightning, since the Bird's-head grips are sort of fun. As it is, I've got me a BBQ gun...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Police Positive Colt 32 S&W long revolvers 1907 with repaired forcing cone 2-24-2012.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	576067

I am getting 1413 fps with 85 gr HNDY JHP in a 100 year old 32 S&W Long revolver seating 1.3" 14 gr LIL'GUN, and no sticky cases.

That revolver has chamber walls 0.050" thick to the outside.
    The inside diameter of the chambers are .34".
    Hoop stress is proportional to inside diameter.
    The Ruger Black Hawk 45 Colt has .061" between chambers in more than a .48" inside diameter.
    Look at the pressures they run in those Blackhawks. I don't do that in a Blackhawk.

What is the wall thickness of the Single six 32 H&R between chambers and to the outside?
    If it is all .08" and greater, my guess is that you can't hurt that revolver in a work up.

I thought I read something about the Single Six conversion to .32-20 on Bowen's Classic Arms website. As I recall something about openning up the frame for clearance of the longer cylinder. I didn't notice it recently on his site..but here's a link...

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/cata...nversions.html

I found it! It's halfway down the page in the "Workshop" section of his site. There is some serious eye candy for the revolver lover on that page!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan61 View Post
    I found it! It's halfway down the page in the "Workshop" section of his site. There is some serious eye candy for the revolver lover on that page!
    And some really serious work on the Single Six. I think I'll just buy one from Cimarron.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Police Positive Colt 32 S&W long revolvers 1907 with repaired forcing cone 2-24-2012.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	576067

I am getting 1413 fps with 85 gr HNDY JHP in a 100 year old 32 S&W Long revolver seating 1.3" 14 gr LIL'GUN, and no sticky cases.

That revolver has chamber walls 0.050" thick to the outside.
    The inside diameter of the chambers are .34".
    Hoop stress is proportional to inside diameter.
    The Ruger Black Hawk 45 Colt has .061" between chambers in more than a .48" inside diameter.
    Look at the pressures they run in those Blackhawks. I don't do that in a Blackhawk.

What is the wall thickness of the Single six 32 H&R between chambers and to the outside?
    If it is all .08" and greater, my guess is that you can't hurt that revolver in a work up.
    Clark, I'll have to do some measuring.