Thread: Win WST Powder for 45ACP/185gr/HBRN/Plated. Why Not a popular Powder??

Default Win WST Powder for 45ACP/185gr/HBRN/Plated. Why Not a popular Powder??

I'm just getting back into reloading after not doing so for about 10 years.

I'm no kid.....in my 81st year and started reloading back about 1960, so I know the basics.....

I've got all the proper manuals, tools, equipment, powders, primers, cases etc,etc.

But I do have a question that puzzles me....(see below in italics)

I've done quite a lot of research recently on various forums on the net to educate myself regarding the most commonly used powders for:
    1/ 185gr Hollow Base RN (Berry's) Plated (.452) bullet.
    2/ 200gr flat base RN (Berry's) (.452) bullet.

I have some newly purchased: Winchester WST that I intend to use with these bullets.

....WHY is this powder so rarely mentioned by handloaders for use in the 45ACP.???
    (compared to Bullseye; Unique; N310; Red Dot; W231; HP-38; Titegroup etc.)

It is my understanding that it:
    .......is very clean burning
    .......obviously meters well
    .......results in "low recoil"
    .......results in VERY accurate loads
    .......is priced competitively
    .......is well suited to the 45ACP in general

Just wondering if there is a reason for it's lack of popularity?? Thankx

Last edited by Montana Griz; 08-17-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: correct spelling

I shot up a pound over a decade ago.

Seemed to me to be no cleaner than the Red Dot I was using pounds of.

I found no difference in recoil, or accuracy, which I did not expect to find, but I was shooting practical self defence competition, not bullseye..
    I was throwing a 185gr LSWC at just over 1000fps.

Funny you should mention that wst is used for accurate 45 acp loads. When I first started loading for the 45 acp a good friend gave me some reloads (steel plate shooter) and results were so good I never used anything else. I believe it states on the jug that it is used for 45 acp loads. Wouldn't even guess how many pounds of wst I have burned up. Frank

There are a lot of choices out there but it may come down to what is easily available.
    You can order just about any powder you desire online but the "hazmat" shipping fee can make cost prohibitive unless ordering in huge quantities you may not want.
    Your local brick and mortar gun store may only stock a limited selection of powders and in small quantities so they may only order the most popular with the highest turn over rate.
    With frequent shortages of powder and primers, you may consider yourself lucky to find a 1lb Bullseye at the local store when you need it so you get in the habit of grabbing an extra whenever and wherever you find it.
    If your area is not well populated with reloaders, you may be hard pressed to find a local store that even carries reloading supplies.
    If lucky enough to live near a store with large and assorted supplies, you may have better choices otherwise, you tend to take what you can get.

I've used both WST and WSF with good results in .45 ACP and .40 S&W. I think that the only reason it isn't as popular as the others that you mention is that
    it isn't recommended for a lot of other popular handgun cartridges and, in the interest of "efficiency" (real or imagined) one likes to stock a powder that works
    in all the ammo he shoots. Having over 50 years of experience in reloading, I now focus on best results and don't mind keeping a big selection of powders on hand.

I've used the WST powder in the .45acp with 200 gr. Rainier plated bullets and had very good results in my XD45 Tactical. I've used it more in my .40 loadings and really like it with a wide range of bullet weights.

If I'm not wrong, the WST powder was the replacement for the 452AA powder which was great for the .45acp.

While WST may be fine for its' time, WW231/H-P38 & Titegroup seem to perform better. I quit using WST over 20 years ago.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    While WST may be fine for its' time, WW231/H-P38 & Titegroup seem to perform better. I quit using WST over 20 years ago.
    I've used a lot of 231 over the last 30 years (and still do) and really like Titegroup but can't say they out perform WST. They all work good in the right combinations.