Default Equador 8mm Mauser ammo

Came across a guy who has a fair quantity of some Equador 8mm surplus ammo. On stripper clips. Is this stuff any good? Should I scoop up as much as I can? What would be a fair price, he seems negotiable?

the most accurate surplus I ever shot in my scoped yugo mauser

Going rate for Yugo now is about $0.25 per round, maybe around $0.30 on clips... If you can find it. I would get as much as you can afford and try to get it for around $0.20 per round, which is price of Mosin ammo.

In the heart of beautiful Montana. A remote rural area with lots of critters and very few folks.

smile Ecudorian ammo is good

Here are some photos of the Ecudorian ammo I have. It performed pretty well. You might check out with the guy and see if the ammo looks like this. Heavy bullet, powerful, grouped pretty well, sure fire. Mine was very clean.............and pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by elokoman View Post
    Came across a guy who has a fair quantity of some Equador 8mm surplus ammo. On stripper clips. Is this stuff any good? Should I scoop up as much as I can? What would be a fair price, he seems negotiable?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6698 (Medium).JPG   2.jpg   IMG_2822 (Large).JPG   IMG_6692 (Large).JPG  

i saw about 20 box's at the lgs today price was either $6 or $7 abox.

boxes look just like those in the post by bws1944, I will see what I can work out, thanks

mine was poor quality, maybe with a 50/50 fail to fire. perhaps it was how he stored it?

OH! that sheds a little different light on this ammo. Maybe I will start with a smaller quantity, do some testing, and if all goes well, see if I can get the rest.

Why did ecuador make 8mm? weren't all those S. Americans using 7x57?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmoline 1 View Post
    Why did ecuador make 8mm? weren't all those S. Americans using 7x57?
    This ammo was made in Argentina for Ecuador. 7.65 and 8mm were used in S. America along with 7x57mm.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

Mine is 80% fail to fire on the first strike... In the last 10 years, it seems to have gone from 40% fail to fire on first strike to the present state. I am pulling it for components.

If my information is correct the ammo was made by FN. My headstamp reads 1955. I have not fired any so I cannot really tell if this lot is surefire. I bought this years ago befor the price jump.

yep--made by FN. I have not seen this stuff on the market for +/- 10 years?
    It can be good-196 gr, accurate. BUT some batches were 50/50 on the fire vs dud count.
    Make sure you have a good pin spring, and get a small batch to test--if it's good, buy it all! .20-.30 per round would work.
    Cheapdad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7,9 Argentina Manufacture 001.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	293.2 KB 
ID:	581470
    Quote Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
    This ammo was made in Argentina for Ecuador. 7.65 and 8mm were used in S. America along with 7x57mm.
    Correct. Several loadings known. JH

Thanks for the photoreference. Well It appears to have been made by FM not FN. Someone's brain did an optical completion incorrectly. not everything on the internet is correct. I got the original ref. from Gun and Game.
    Last edited by Coyote tracker; 08-31-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: source update

I'll be sure to test a couple of boxes with a rifle having a strong firing pin spring before going hog-wild on this stuff. If frequent FTF, maybe only worth what, $0.10 per round for components? I'm not big into re-loading, all I have is a Lee Loader set up for 8mm, and a small lot of used boxer primed brass.

well--all these years I've been blaming FN, when I could have blamed FM!
    oh well. Elokoman, be sure the check the ammo. I bought a case which was 50% dud ammo--not even with a second hit. The Dealer made good, and sent me a case of 100% surefire stuff (no charge)--I then bought several more! If it works, it's very nice ammo.
    I don't have enough patience to the the components thing...I traded the "bad" batch to a friend who seems to have plenty of both time and patience.
    ...been buying any 7.62x54r lately?
    Cheapdad

Our clubs experience with this ammo.

After testing some a number years ago.

It was relegated to the crap ammo pile.

It had some good batches, but most it was crap, not even good for plinking, due to several issues.

As suggested by some posters, test your batch and see if it is good enough for you, before investing a lot of money.

Even the good stuff that went bang was only good enough for plinking.

No consistancy for any serious shooting.

I had a crate and ended up pulling the clips and giving the ammo to my local gs to do whatever they wanted with it. It would take mostly 2-3 strikes to fire. Very very corrosive.

Finestkind

Quote Originally Posted by elokoman View Post
    I'll be sure to test a couple of boxes with a rifle having a strong firing pin spring before going hog-wild on this stuff. If frequent FTF, maybe only worth what, $0.10 per round for components? I'm not big into re-loading, all I have is a Lee Loader set up for 8mm, and a small lot of used boxer primed brass.
    It is worth at least $.10 in components as long as you have some brass to load it into...
    "The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament..."

I'm starting, to suspect that I, don't know how to use commas.

Thanks to all for the helpful feedback.