Default Liberty Arms Kodiak .38 special??

Aguy near me has a Liberty Arms Kodiak .38 special for sale for $150. I googled it but came up with noting but a charter arms .38 and it looks nothing like it. I like the look but can not find anything about it and if this is a good price. He said the condition is an 8 of 10 but a good shooter. Condition in the eye of the beholder of course. Is this a decent price and what is it? Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l1_pistols_liberty_arms_codiak__38_special_102688.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	580273
    I'm a Mog. Half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jubylives View Post
    Aguy near me has a Liberty Arms Kodiak .38 special for sale for $150. I googled it but came up with noting but a charter arms .38 and it looks nothing like it. I like the look but can not find anything about it and if this is a good price. He said the condition is an 8 of 10 but a good shooter. Condition in the eye of the beholder of course. Is this a decent price and what is it? Thanks
    "Liberty arms" appears to be an importer of various guns in the 1960s (??). I was unable to determine who made this pistol. The importer did not last long, apparently. The pistol is german made but by WHO??? One site said maybe some guy named schmidt who made potmetal guns in his basement. One site said they were $10 or $20 in the 1950s and early 60s, a true sat night special.

The best I was able to determine, the company got going then the stupid gun control of 1968 killed off their product line, could no longer import these guns. It is very possibly a pot metal gun. It is very possibly a piece of junk (Unclear, but several folks did not care for them!).

Charter is a red herring: they stamped the word liberty on a gun and their company is charter ARMS so it tripped the search engine.

That is all I could find today on the webs.

You found more then I did then. I kept getting the carter arms guns that looked like someone spilled a bunch of different colored paint on them. I will probably stay away from it since there is not much known about it. Don't want something to break and have no way of finding parts. I was looking for something to the kids shooting with and the 38 special caught my eye. They don't like shooting my 9mm or Mosins.

right in the middle of Gods little waiting room

Offer him $100.00 and stick it in your tackle box. Times get hard you can trade it for beer.
    Oldgoat46
    " In Biblical times Samson slew 40,000 Philistines with the jawbone of an ass. Everyday an equal number of sales are killed by the use of the same weapon."

You found more then I did then. I kept getting the carter arms guns that looked like someone spilled a bunch of different colored paint on them. I will probably stay away from it since there is not much known about it. Don't want something to break and have no way of finding parts. I was looking for something to the kids shooting with and the 38 special caught my eye. They don't like shooting my 9mm or Mosins.
    Taurus makes some nice inexpensive revolvers, and there are plenty of decent used guns for a reasonable price. I would avoid this liberty thing, it just does not sound promising by the little I could find.

You might also just get a .22 for the kids. A 9mm and a 38 are not that far apart unless you shoot super weak 38s. If you handload weak 38s, a 380 bullet is dirt cheap and does very well in a light load. The classic 38s (model 10, I think, and clones?) have a small grip suitable for a youngster.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Medium (for example K-frame S&Ws) in 38 Spl loaded with the classic target load of 148 grain wadcutter are very mild in report and recoil, and reloading costs about the same as 22 LR. My Model 19 has the S&W over-sized target grips, as i find them comfortable. I replace them with Magnas if my wife is shooting it. It has shot a lot more wadcutters (loaded in 357 Magnum cases to avoid building a crud ring in the front of the charge holes) than full-house 357s, but a fair number of those, too.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

There were four principal German manufacturers of revolvers for import in the 1950's and 1960's, Rohm GMBH.Herbert Schmidt ( no, he didn't build guns in his basement ) Hans Herman Weihrauch ( Arminus ) and Sauer & Son. Both Rohm and Weihrauch built .38 Special revolvers based on the Colt and S&W. With out having it in my hands don't know, but yours looks like a Weihrauch, if so, somewhere on the metal there should be a circled W.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron J View Post
    There were four principal German manufacturers of revolvers for import in the 1950's and 1960's, Rohm GMBH.Herbert Schmidt ( no, he didn't build guns in his basement ) Hans Herman Weihrauch ( Arminus ) and Sauer & Son. Both Rohm and Weihrauch built .38 Special revolvers based on the Colt and S&W. With out having it in my hands don't know, but yours looks like a Weihrauch, if so, somewhere on the metal there should be a circled W.

That is what I get for skimming the data.

They did start making the guns in their home in 1919 (shotguns though). The revolvers came later and they had grown to a real facility by then. The revolvers were, as you noted, not made in their home.

Also dug a little deeper to find:
    All parts of the guns were hand made and out of steel except the frames which were out of a zinc-aluminium alloy

And finally: some of their last guns were convertable to .22 with a barrel insert and changed cylinder.

Interesting the stories behind some guns. Looks like he pulled the ad so he must have sold it. Might look into a .22 revolver for the kids. Cheaper to shoot.

with a potmetal frame, i'd pass. look for a rossi or some other..... 38 or 357.
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l1_pistols_liberty_arms_codiak__38_special_102688.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	580273
    Sounds like an RG from postwar Germany; the RG did NOT stand for Real Good. Maybe in an instance they made one good model, but I am unaware of it. Sorry if I offend anyone, but for $150 this man should be looking at one of the good used Taurus Mod 82, or similar, being sold http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=55&t=114798 by SOG and others.