Gunboards Forums banner

Opinions Wanted: 1939 Tula

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Toolman12345 
#1 · (Edited)
Gentlemen,
My knowledge of Nagant revolvers is basic at best. I do know that to find one that didn't go through a refurb with the original finish is pretty desirable. My LGS just took in a non import marked, 1939 Tula with the original finish that I would rate at a conservative 96-98%. There is a small blemish on the right side of the frame and on the end of barrel. It also comes with a brown leather holster. If someone could provide me with what would be fair market value, it would be greatly appreciated. I know pictures would be ideal here but it wasn't possible under the light in the store.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

#2 ·
A 1939 is not a rare example unless it is marked differently than normal. But if it is a non-import with original finish it will bring at least $250 and likely more. I will pay up to about $400 for any prewar all matched revolver at a show if I don't already have an example or it has an SA mark (I always pick up SA marked revolvers as it is easy to find them new homes with guys who collect Finnish rifles - I have one right now looking for a new home).
The holster is another matter. Without pictures I won't hazard a guess. If it is a recent import, post war made for storage it is worth $15. If it is an original M1901 or M1910 it is worth hundreds. If it is a 1930s or 1940s original it is worth between $50 and $100 depending on model and condition.
Joe

#3 · (Edited)
Joe,
Thanks for the quick reply. As I said previously, my knowledge of Nagants is basic, at best. I think I remember a star on the hammer and maybe another star by the muzzle. I can't say for sure. There was at least one mark on the butt, next to the lanyard ring. What it was, I cannot recall. As for the holster, it looked to be leather and did not look the ones they include with the recent imports. If I pick it up next week, I will be sure to post some pictures.
Thanks again,
Chris
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

#6 · (Edited)
Here are pictures showing detail of a 1939

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Helmet Metal

Left and right views and the sideplate
Gun Trigger Revolver Firearm Gun accessory

Left: Diamond AC Acceptance mark. Right The late 1930s circled OTK mark and circled 'K' accuracy proof

Tire Metal
Revolver
View attachment 581885
Left: straight front on the knurling of the hammer. Center and right 2 marks on the left side of the sight base - no marks on the right side.
I don't have a file photo of the front of the cylinder face but it should have the full serial number in the same font as the serial number on the frame. There should also be a star OTK mark and another stamp. The surface should be reasonably smmoth and not show major machining marks.

Joe

#8 ·
Joe,
I just got back from putting a deposit on the Nagant. From what I can tell, the holster is a M1910 version. Its reddish brown leather with an inner compartment, for ammo maybe? I should be picking it up within the next day or two with pictures to follow.
Thanks again,
Chris

#10 ·
Here are some pictures
Handgun holster Leather Bicycle saddle Metal
Leather
Leather Fashion accessory Strap Leash Undergarment
Handgun holster Brown Tan Leather Bag
Leather Horse tack
Leather Handgun holster Scabbard

This model of holster was introduced in about 1941. It is a variant of the pattern 1932 holsters.

Helmet Personal protective equipment Headgear Mask Leather
Leather

This is an example of the holster from 1922-1932. Note the plug in the end of the barrel tube.
All of the holsters shown here would have been used by infantry or other troops who didn't have to sit (pilots, tank crew, drivers etc. carried a suspension type holster).
Joe

#11 ·
Handgun holster Scabbard
Leather Bag Handgun holster
Leather Bag Tan Satchel Textile

Here is a very typical 1932 style holster. It likely originally had shoulder strap, but not necissarily. The brass cleaning rod is correct with the Nagant for this period. By about 1935 it was replaced with the steel rod for the Tokarev. This was the principle holster used in the 1930s into the GPW.

Handgun holster Belt Leather Horse harness Gun accessory
Helmet Personal protective equipment Belt Headgear Fashion accessory
Gun Handgun holster Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Here is a 1927 suspension - again troops who had sit in vehicles - correct lanyard.

Gun Trigger Handgun holster Gun accessory Revolver
Handgun holster Helmet Revolver

1932 suspension holster with correct lanyard.
Joe

#14 · (Edited)
Great score! The holster is a prewar leather Universal made from about 1936-1941. The cartridge pouch will hold 14 nagant rounds or a TT 33 magazine. These are relatively uncommon. Now all you need is a steel cleaning rod and a lanyard.
Everything I can see on the revolver is absolutely correct. Does the number on the cylinder match and have a star OTK mark?
Again, great score!
Joe

#15 ·
Joe,
Thanks for the kind words and the good news. The cylinder does indeed match the frame. I didn't realize they were numbered that way, with the # stamped around the cylinder like that. Again, thanks for the help. It was definitely appreciated. If you need the serial # for a study or any other pictures, just let me know.
Regards,
Chris D.
Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

#16 ·
Forgive me for jacking the thread, but I asked about Holsters and Joe answered - so I just wanted to say thanks very much for posting all the holster pictures. Now I have something else to search for, since I just have one of the post-war rubberized canvas holsters. Why do I have the feeling this will be harder to find? And how cool, blushirt23, that your acquisition CAME with a leather holster! I'm jealous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.