Thread: Top ten 223 rifles today?

Default Top ten 223 rifles today?

Many years ago I had an AR-15 with the collapsible stock with a slot in the lower to accept a auto sear. I sold it and most everything else when my late wife was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I'm now looking for a comparable rifle in 223. Give me your top ten with the whys.

I stumbled into a good deal AK so that's covered. Additionally if you have suggestions as to an alternative. I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts.

I also ( in the same period) had and loved a HK 91. i thought that was a very impressive weapon. Sold it as well. Thanks to all, Jay

My condolences on your spouse!!!
    Currently, I am most fond of the Colt R6940 (or P, if you want the piston drive, more money).
    Rogers collapsible stock (comparable to the Magpul CTR), totally railed (many mounting options), no sear block, FA bolt carrier, reliable, accurate.

Tony

I think it's hard to beat an AR for a 223 platform, although a Sig 556 combines some of the best features of the AR and AK in one package.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

Not in any order but I will list my favs.

Sig 551-A1 10'SBR, Short, lightweight and pretty friggin cool.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	551SBR-10in_detail-hero.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	585148
    Bushmaster ACR (Magpul Masada) many of the same innovations as the FN SCAR but I without the pencil barrel, and reciprocating charging handle ready to punch you in the face or at least distract you. (And more stable stock)

Name:	Magpul_masada_Ctsy_Zak_Smith_Demigod_LLC.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	585149
    HK33, shot the real deal once in Germany and a FAL. Hated the FAL, loved the HK

Name:	014hk33e25-3040rounders.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	585150
    Steyr Aug- Shot the real deal in Germany and a clone here in the states. Clones are garbage and the good news is the real deal coming to the US. Probably the only bullpup in this caliber I liked.

Name:	aug_1_tfb-tfb.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	585151
    HK G36, would love to get my mitts on one. Just looks and the reviews I have heard puts it on my want list.

Name:	Item_AAC_G36.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	585152
    Colt SP1 for the nostalgia.

Name:	colt-ar15-sp1-intero-copia.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	284.6 KB 
ID:	585153
    POF USA AR platform- I just like their high quality product.

Name:	johnkaiser308B1.jpg 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	585154
    Shrike- Just because anything belt fed is cool!

Name:	cmykIMG_2721.jpg 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	585155

Id say Rugers Mini14 would have to go in there somewhere. It is one of few semi auto high cap 223s that doesn't look like an "ugly black rifle".

Rock Rivers....Bushmasters....real deals in the self defense field!
    I have the Ruger 14.....their 10 / 22's more accurate at 100 yards.....
    GOD<><SAVE THE CONSTITUTION / STATES RIGHTS><>NRA

I agree with mriddick, a good quality AR-15 is hard to beat. Living in the U.S., I think to a certain degree we don't value them enough because they're cheap and plentiful. I really like my Sig556, but if I were to have only one in 5.56, it would probably be an AR. It's not my favorite caliber, but every true American should own at least one AR-15 and one 1911A1.

ETA. In auto-loading 7.62, excluding FN MAG and M60, which I neither have access to nor can afford, I am partial to the the FAL by a wide margin, followed by a G3-type. With that said, a properly-stocked, medium contour barreled Remington 700 in .308, such as a PSS, Tactical, or Varmint model in an HS Precision stock, will far exceed the FAL and G3 in accuracy and simplicity.
    Last edited by MG-70; 09-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides..From "Commonplace Book" by Thomas Jefferson.

I agree with MG-70. I'm no AR guy but the AR is all USA and 40+ years and going strong. I got a Rock River Arms for my wife, great rifle and company to deal with. I'm thinking about getting one of thier 7.62 models next.

Quote Originally Posted by naganthunter View Post
    Id say Rugers Mini14 would have to go in there somewhere. It is one of few semi auto high cap 223s that doesn't look like an "ugly black rifle".
    The Mini 14 doesn't get a lot of love around here from some people, but the 2007 and newer production models that have the heavier tapered barrels are quite accurate, my 2010 production Ranch Rifle will hold it's own against most of my AR's except the dedicated match models with bull barrels and match triggers and such. Most of the complaints about inaccurate Mini's are relating to the older 180 and 181 series guns, from about 2003 forward when Ruger completely re-tooled the Mini production line they are much better.

I'm not suggesting that a Mini 14 is a "top ten" rifle by any stretch, but the newer models are worthy of consideration as an everday type of gun, and are much better than many people think.

Rarely mentioned Daewoo K2 is a pretty good shooter. A hybrid Ak gas AR 15.

I love my 582 series mini 14

An IMI Galil ARM is definately in the top 5. I also like the Valmet.

Out of my 3 mini 14s, 2 were junk, and one was a great rifle. They are just not as modular or adaptable as the ar. My first AR was a doublestar m4gery, and I still love it. It convinced me to get rid of the minis, since no matter how I tried, I just couldnt get the mini to be what my ar became. I have since built another on a plum crazy lower, and I have been pretty impressed as well. The SIG is a fine weapon, just out my price range. The doublestar m4gery with the added quad rail handguards is just about as useful and tacticool a rifle as you will ever find in 223/556. I have a flat top with BUIS and a primary arms micro dot optic. It is a geat, non budget busting rifle. The Galil's are pretty good too, but I remember mags being super expensive.
    "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." -- Shane

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobedoo View Post
    The Mini 14 doesn't get a lot of love around here from some people, but the 2007 and newer production models that have the heavier tapered barrels are quite accurate, my 2010 production Ranch Rifle will hold it's own against most of my AR's except the dedicated match models with bull barrels and match triggers and such. Most of the complaints about inaccurate Mini's are relating to the older 180 and 181 series guns, from about 2003 forward when Ruger completely re-tooled the Mini production line they are much better.

I'm not suggesting that a Mini 14 is a "top ten" rifle by any stretch, but the newer models are worthy of consideration as an everday type of gun, and are much better than many people think.
    180 was the first Mini 14 Series produced in the mid to late 70's and was a fine shooter. The later series Minis, built with shortcuts and inferior materials gave an otherwise fine rifle the poor reputation, especially with the vertical stringing as the barrel heated.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

The problems were finally corrected in the 580 series. The long period of Mini accuracy problems is a textbook case of corporate stupidity and neglect of customer feedback. I suspect it was related to the decline of Bill Ruger, who was always a stubborn, "I know better" type.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Hello Johnnyringo. Like the others have said. You can't go wrong with an AR15. There are a TON of options, both makers and accessories. I also have the MSAR STG (Stey AUG clone) and the thing is extremely accurate! The Galils are nice but are on the heavy side for an AR. Hope this helps.

These are the ones I like.

SIG556, MSAR Stg556, HK93 and the IO (Breyl) Archer.

HDH

My favorite is my Noveske N4 Afghan model Then the LMT CQB and the Colt 6724.

FN FS2000 is fun if you like something different and can afford one.
    Damn the expense, use your turn signals today... and as a special favour, try doing it before you have two wheels in the next lane.

Name:	AR-15's Large.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	593621Colt, Second choice, Colt, Third choice Armalite.

the Korean version of the ar15 is the Dawoo DR200 -.223 cal and uses the same mags.very nice shooter smu

I like the L85A2, its a very accurate system, quite compact but keeps a good barrel length. Its not the best at anything but it is a good all rounder.

Battle Damaged in Afghan, user survived.

Colt 6920, you can get one at Wally World for an excellent price.

Tough call. Like everyone else here I own to many 223 rifles. The only ones missing are the sa-80 and the Finnish Valmet. I really like my SIG.