Gunboards Forums banner

Grenade Firing Enfield Questions

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  John Sukey In Memoriam 
#1 ·
Just purchased a No1 Mark 1*** Enfield wrapped for grenade firing. Nice rifle that appears to be authentic and complete. The No1. shoots better than my other WWI rifles and is a hit at the range. Many newbies ask my what broke on the rifle that requires so much wire.

Rifle came without the magazine cutoff and this sparks two questions. First, was the cut-off removed when wrapped. Second, if the rifle should have the cut-off, can I replace it without having to unwrapped which I will not do. Can live without it being in place, but would like to complete the sale and restoration if possible. Thanks, Randy.

#2 ·
Does it have a "G" prefix serial number? If so, it's probably Irish. I also have a Mk I*** with grenade launcher wrappings, and it has no cutoff. I suspect they were indeed removed from these rifles, and wouldn't replace it. Under no circumstances remove the wire.

#3 ·
Rifle does have a G prefixed serial number on top of receiver that appears done by an aromorer. However, it is not as crisp as the other serial nubmer on the right side of the receiver that begins with a T. I have not intention of touching the wire unless it come loose. Thanks, Randy.

#4 ·
With any luck Fritz will pick up on this thread and chime in. He has a great deal of information on these Irish Mk I*** rifles. You may also want to see the thread I started on mine. It's back on page 3 now, under the title "Been Around the Block a Few Times."

#5 ·
The wire wrapping was to strengthen the stock sinmce a grenade weighs a heck of a lot more thanm a 174 grain bullet The manual shows the rifle upside down with the butt resting on the ground. Only the left hand is gripping the rifle while the index finger of the right hand pulls the trigger.
Now get some tennis balls and some blank cartridges and have fun! (You don't need grenade firing rounds since a tennis ball is far lighter than a grenade)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.