Thread: Mauser Replacing front sight ?

Default Mauser Replacing front sight ?

Picked up a beautiful 24/47 last night.
    One issue, the front sight is toast, no idea what happened here
    So can this be repaired, I am thinking the whole sight and base needs replaced.
    Where would I get a complete front sight.
    Anyway to replace it without ruining the blueing, I am thinking these are pressed or silver soldered on

It appears that someone cut it off and attempted to solder it back on to allow for more windage adjustment. What a mess! You need to mic the barrel end and determine if a German mauser sight ring will work to replace the whole thing.

I think the sight is toast because it looks like someone already tried to "fix" it.

Not sure of the 24/47 but it looks like a sight ring soldered on. Getting it off means heating around the ring with a torch until the solder loosens and you can drive it off with a brass punch, tapping around the edge before it cools too much.
    Before replacing clean the joint very carefully with abrasive until it shines, on barrel and sight too. Use a good quality silver bearing (usually 4 or 5%) solder, not the cheap lead free plumbing solder, and a recommended flux.

Any carelessness can hurt the blue and you'll probably want to touch it up - which probably has already been done before considering what the sight looks like
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

One addition to the above.
    Mauser's have a small locating screw under the front sight blade. This was to locate the band during soldering.
    It may still be there, so drive the sight out and look for the slotted head of a tiny screw in the bottom of the sight dovetail.
    Remove the screw then heat the barrel and use a wood block to push the sight band off while the soft solder is still liquid.

The original solder used on Mauser's was a fairly low temp lead solder.
    Who knows what the Billy Bob who did that used.

Got the old one off, was real easy.
    Now I need to find a replacement, I checked my K98 and the band is the same but the height
    of the Yugo is .127 taller

Here's some sources for parts. These might have original 24-47 parts.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...aspx?catid=313

http://ssporters.com/

http://www.sarcoinc.com/

Parts may not be listed but available. Contact for availability.