mad Watch That CHINESE junk!!

Was building a another Hawken style rifle and drilling and tapping for lock bolt. I grabbed a 10/24 marked tap and and threaded away (using unpowered drill press set up as guide). 10/24 bolt stripped right out on installation. WTF!!!! Checked drill size-- OK Checked 10/24 marked tap--NOT OK. Chinese had marked a 5mm x.8 TAP as 10/24. Now this is an expensive handmade lock so not a small deal. Ran to hardware store and got a 5mm hex head bolt, turned and slotted head and saved day. DO NOT BELIEVE any of the chinese made junk if you need a critical part ! Yeah the 5mm hex was probably Chinese too but will do for now and I checked it before i used it.

I've come across some oddball stuff like that. I had an American made wrench that was marked 9/16 but was actually 5/8. I also had some hardware that gave me hard to find problems like a new bolt that looked like it had threads but the grooves didn't climb up the shaft. It had individual grooves that only went around in a circle. Also, a piece of brand new 16 guage copper wire that was broken inside but worked as long as it was straight. Every time I tested the electrical system with a multimeter everything worked including the wire but as soon as I put that wire on and it got a slight bend in it nothing worked. I also had a cast fitting on a fuel return line that looked normal but if you looked inside it was cast shut. It kept causing a brand new fuel injection pump to chatter but the engine still ran.

I think some of this was done as a joke. How does a wrench get mismarked or a bolt get grooves that go no where unless someone purposely puts it there.
    Last edited by candr44; 09-24-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Question I have is, if you are building using an expensive handmade lock, why are you using cheap Chinese tooling?

Because he's a cheapskate. Like me. I dislike buying expensive stuff if I'm only using it once or twice because dimensional problems like that are rare. Usually its softer, weaker cheaper but good enough for once or twice... Well, once anyway.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Try to find domestic made taps and dies these days! Even the industrial supply stores are lucky to have US made stuff. However, there are several grades of Chinese hardware available, some of which is not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    Was building a another Hawken style rifle and drilling and tapping for lock bolt. I grabbed a 10/24 marked tap and and threaded away (using unpowered drill press set up as guide). 10/24 bolt stripped right out on installation. WTF!!!! Checked drill size-- OK Checked 10/24 marked tap--NOT OK. Chinese had marked a 5mm x.8 TAP as 10/24. Now this is an expensive handmade lock so not a small deal. Ran to hardware store and got a 5mm hex head bolt, turned and slotted head and saved day. DO NOT BELIEVE any of the chinese made junk if you need a critical part ! Yeah the 5mm hex was probably Chinese too but will do for now and I checked it before i used it.

Chit does happen, glad you got it corrected. For wood the saying is, measure twice, cut once, Learned long ago that when it come to metal work, measure thrice, then twice more, then D&T once.

Quote Originally Posted by TANSTAAFL View Post
    Chit does happen, glad you got it corrected. For wood the saying is, measure twice, cut once, Learned long ago that when it come to metal work, measure thrice, then twice more, then D&T once.
    Now checking every tap against the american made die and then the calipers to make sure.

Then again I can use a chinese made drill, tap with my chinese made tap and then weld up holes with a chinese made tig then grind off excess with a chinese made grinder and then install my chinese made screw which breaks on tightening and then repeat the process ad nauseum. Alternatively i can make a whole new screw on a chinese lathe. Anyone getting my drift of this?
    Last edited by vintovka; 09-30-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    Then again I can a chinese made drill, tap with my chinese made tap and then weld up holes with a chinese made tig then grind off excess with a chinese made grinder and then install my chinese made screw which breaks on tightening and then repeat the process ad nauseum. Alternatively i can make a whole new srew on a chinese lathe. Anyone getting my drift of this?
    Yes. Chinese slave labor is cheaper than American robots and automated production lines.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

A few years ago I bought a set of wood bits. They were cut like a metal bit but with a sharp point. "Wow this oughta be great!" or so I thought, until the one I needed the most got a little hot and straightened out i.e. it looked like a reamer instead of a drill bit! That was enough for me.

Actually, American manufacturing is 4-5x more efficient than China's. That's why manufacturing jobs are coming back where they belong.