Default Mauser stock question

I am looking at a stock (sporter type) for my Spanish mauser barrelled action (small ring). The stock is advertised as a 98 small ring. I asked the guy to measure the action screws ctc and he said it was 7 13/16 inches. Any help on if this would fit?

If the stock is for a standard 98 action, it will not work. The 98 (with some minor exceptions) is a large ring action.

Quote Originally Posted by TP View Post
    If the stock is for a standard 98 action, it will not work. The 98 (with some minor exceptions) is a large ring action.
    Is there such a thing though as a small ring 98? that measurement he gave me was for a small ring.

The German Kar98a and the Mexican M1910 are both small ring, there may be others.

Czech vz-32, vz-33 and forcably produced 33/40 also i believe.
    gil

Default Also Polish K98 and Mexican 1902.

After WWII, the Czech made the ZG47 sporting rifle with a small diameter receiver ring also.

So a spanish small ring should fit in say a mexican or vz-32 stock?

No.

On the pre 98 type cock on closing small ring mausers the bolt spacing is 7.625 inches. On the 98 and later cock on opening, small and large ring standard length actions it is 7.825 in. And the inletting is somewhat different.

The 1893 and 1916 Spanish Mausers take the pre 98 type stock, often called the 1893 type stock, the others the 98 small ring type stock.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Good information jjk308, gil and icmunn. Gets confusing doesn't it? Headoftheholler, keep in mind that there are other variants as well. You actually want the action and the stock in hand to try to see if it works.

I've got a sporterized Chilean '95 stock, yours for the asking but only if you can use it.
    Turning relics into near-relics since 2005.

'95 action is different at the tang (don't know about other? differences) you'd need to fix the 'gap' at least.

Best to find a '93 stock for '93 action imo

'93 action on left, '95 action on right
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tangs.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	309.0 KB 
ID:	589602
    pure jebberish

"You don't think you're perfect but you do think you're always right."
    -my wife

Quote Originally Posted by David Murvihill View Post
    I've got a sporterized Chilean '95 stock, yours for the asking but only if you can use it.
    Many thanks but the stock in question is on a "popular online auction" for a small ring stock, my interest was because it was uniquely European in the carvings.