Thread: Nooob P08 Luger question

Default Nooob P08 Luger question

I just acquired a 1939 P08 Luger. I know pretty much nothing about this gun. I took it out to shoot today and found the magazine spring was almost too strong to load. Am I going to have to take the magazine apart and cut a round off the spring or just leave it loaded for awhile?? Next I am wondering how to strip this thing down to clean it?? Thanks in advance.

Is the mag original to the gun or an aftermarket? It almost sounds like something is wrong with it. Did it function properly??

Magazine came in the gun and seems to fit and eject ok. Serial number doesn't match the gun but it functioned fine for the 3 or 4 mags I ran through it. Just too stiff to load.

There is a button on the side of the mag. Are you pulling down on the button to compress the spring as you put ammo in the mag? You can also use the hole in the luger tool by inserting it over the button and use the lip on the tool to pull down and compress the spring. If you don't have the tool, you can find a repo on ebay. The design of the mag requires a stiff spring to properly function; if you cut a coil you will likely have feeding problems and a worthless mag.

You may also receive additional information from Jan Still's Forum. It has various threads regarding the Lugers, magazines and holsters. As always, pics will help; art.

The one thing I hated about the Luger was loading the mag. I could get 3-4 rounds in but after that , it would make hamburger out of your thumb ,if you tried to get all 7 in ,several times. The "Loading Tool " was not easy either. Fun gun but a bitch to load the full mag, just MHO, BB

Yes, if it's just loading the mag that is the problem, if you are right-handed, hold the mag in your left hand and use your left thumb to pull down slightly on the button that is attached to the follower and use the right hand to install the round.....i.e........your left thumb will be assisting depressing the follower/spring to make your loading of each round with your right hand easier.

Thanks guys...spring is loosening up. I can now get 3 or 4 in there....

Now how do I break down the gun???

Quote Originally Posted by TO THE FLOOR View Post

Now how do I break down the gun???
    "Five minutes on Google"--Rob Dyrdek

http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/sho...d.php?tid=5321

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

There are magazine speed loaders available which make things a lot easier on your thumb.
    I have a HKS P08 loader and it works fine and they are cheap.
    Here is an outfit that appears to have them. Scroll down to the bottom to P08 9mm.
    http://www.pistoleer.com/hks/magazine/

Tom

Great, I ordered 2 of them. I don't shoot my Lugers because of the mag loading problem. The loading tool that is also the takedown tool is also a pain to use. This thing looks like it will work. I hope so , thanks again, BB

Thanks guys. It's loosening up and I got the old style tool which makes it a lot easier. Could almost load 8 in the mag.