Thread: Best Surplus 8mm Mauser Ammo Source/Type

Question Best Surplus 8mm Mauser Ammo Source/Type

I'm currently shooting some 50's yugo 8mm that is either 54 or 56 with no issue thus far. Trying to get at least 1 case (900ish rounds) of 8mm to hold me over until after the elections...having trouble finding a good source of the ammo...

1950s Yugo- 11/55 is said to have head failure issues and is all that SOG seems to have. This may be overblown but I'm still not sure if I want to risk it.

Persian 8mm- Lots of duds/hangfires. Is it actually worth it?

That seems to be it for the surplus crowd if you don't want to go into the "Sniper" Yugo for 8mm. Is this it? 2 choices for surplus if I just want to plink/blow up paper? I'm left with 2 different kinds that will either dud/delay/blow up in my face?

Looks like I missed the bus on the 8mm ammo

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

I don't know where you heard about the Persian ammo, but I got 2,000 rounds of it, and it was good clean sure fire ammo. It was actually loaded by Selior & Beloit for the Shah's Government of Iran. I believe Samco still has it.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

Quote Originally Posted by Bob In St. Louis View Post
    I don't know where you heard about the Persian ammo, but I got 2,000 rounds of it, and it was good clean sure fire ammo. It was actually loaded by Selior & Beloit for the Shah's Government of Iran. I believe Samco still has it.
    I'm basing it off of what I've found on various forums (including this one, but they may have been old posts). If it isn't that bad I may have to try it...

I've ordered several cases of the Yugo '50s ammo from SOG over the last few years, and haven't had any issues yet. I'll have to check my stock when I get home, but I don't believe it's all dated 11/55. Did you get that from a SOG employee?

J&G Sales also has the Persian ammo, at a slightly higher price than Samco.

There's also still plenty of Turkish and Romanian surplus ammo available in the classifieds sections of various forums, if you keep your eyes open.

AIM Surplus reportedly has a large shipment of surplus 8mm on the way, but they're being tight-lipped about details. So we don't know when it'll be available, how much it'll cost, or even what type it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueJSK View Post
    I've ordered several cases of the Yugo '50s ammo from SOG over the last few years, and haven't had any issues yet. I'll have to check my stock when I get home, but I don't believe it's all dated 11/55. Did you get that from a SOG employee?

J&G Sales also has the Persian ammo, at a slightly higher price than Samco.

There's also still plenty of Turkish and Romanian surplus ammo available in the classifieds sections of various forums, if you keep your eyes open.

AIM Surplus reportedly has a large shipment of surplus 8mm on the way, but they're being tight-lipped about details. So we don't know when it'll be available, how much it'll cost, or even what type it will be.
    Yes, Rhonda at SOG let me know that the first crate that they opened was 11/55, but of course they can't go through every crate so it may differ.

I emailed AIM asking about the 8mm surplus and was told that they didn't know of any coming in. That could just mean that it's either just a rumor or they haven't informed anyone inside yet.

So it's a tossup between the iranian from Samco(I don't mind the wait) or J&G. If prices are reasonable I may end up looking at the classifieds like you said.

I purchased 8MM from SAMCO a few months ago and so far it shoots very well. I have had 5 bad rounds in 500 I have shot, so to me the lower cost of SAMCO is worth 5 bad rounds.

I just picked up a spam can (380 rds) of 1977 Romanian 8mm LPS at a gun show on Saturday, and the seller had a lot more.

At the same show I also picked up a bucket with about 500 rounds of mixed-lot 1949 and 1951 manufactured 8mm (with silver (Cu/Ni) bullets) which I haven't figured out exactly where it is from yet (headstamp is month/2 digit year, a little six pointed star (or a open-centered triangle on a very few of them) with some dashes between some of the marks) for an additional $60. It was a little rough looking, but I figured the bullets alone would be worth it.

I sorted out about 25 rounds of the worst looking stuff in the bucket and tried it on Sunday. Although I DID have one very slight click-bang hangfire, it appears to be OK, and grouped well on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by eldestbrother View Post
    I purchased 8MM from SAMCO a few months ago and so far it shoots very well. I have had 5 bad rounds in 500 I have shot, so to me the lower cost of SAMCO is worth 5 bad rounds.
    SAMCO Persian 7.92 is inconsistent. Of the 100 rds I shot approximately 75% were hang fires.

Quote Originally Posted by McCauley View Post
    SAMCO Persian 7.92 is inconsistent. Of the 100 rds I shot approximately 75% were hang fires.
    Ouch, that's definitely not worth it :/

I'm conflicted on whether to wait for the collector's gun show, or to just chance it with the Persian.

The Persian ammo is also at JG Sales in AZ too. They tested it w/ various locals who shoot a lot, and the results were not good. Many hangfires, and some duds. Sloow hangfires at the that. U can find some deals on other 8mm at times on GunBroker. Surplus 8mm was cheap as dirt for ten years, but as usual, all good things come to an end!

I got a sample pack of the Persian stuff from Sportsman's Guide at their warehouse. They gave me 8 rounds. Of which, I had 4 hangfires. Needless to say, I didn't buy the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    I just picked up a spam can (380 rds) of 1977 Romanian 8mm LPS at a gun show on Saturday, and the seller had a lot more.

At the same show I also picked up a bucket with about 500 rounds of mixed-lot 1949 and 1951 manufactured 8mm (with silver (Cu/Ni) bullets) which I haven't figured out exactly where it is from yet (headstamp is month/2 digit year, a little six pointed star (or a open-centered triangle on a very few of them) with some dashes between some of the marks) for an additional $60. It was a little rough looking, but I figured the bullets alone would be worth it.

I sorted out about 25 rounds of the worst looking stuff in the bucket and tried it on Sunday. Although I DID have one very slight click-bang hangfire, it appears to be OK, and grouped well on the target.
    that mixed stuff is czech made. Century was selling it a couple years ago at crazy low prices due to its mixed heritage.

From what I have found so far is... Portuges 8mm (FNM) is excellent ( probably the best I've ever found in bulk ). My absolute favourite is the RWS. However.. I've never had any problems with the 49/53/55 Yugo as well as the 50's Czech. I also have Romanian and I find my rifles like it.

The "best" 8mm out there right now is the Yugo sniper ammo which can be had at the Century website...pricey but very good stuff. Most of the 8mm has all but dried up.

For all the bad rap it get's I've had very good luck with 50's Yugo...maybe I've just been lucky but of the 2 cases I had all went bang, was decently accurate and no cases split on me. My favorite 8mm is 70's Romy. I still have 6 cases left. Bought it when it was $29 a tin for my belt feds. I run it in my MG42 and even my converted 1919A4....good stuff.

I've heard rumors too of a boatload of 8mm coming to the US market soon. Let's keep our fingers crossed it's true. Course with the weak plummeting dollar it will never be as cheap as it was 10 years ago, but hopefully it will be affordable.

Hirtenberger Patronen 8x57 was the best surplus ammo I ever shot in this caliber

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.92X57 case failure 003.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	274.5 KB 
ID:	594207
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzPuppet View Post
    I'm currently shooting some 50's yugo 8mm that is either 54 or 56 with no issue thus far. Trying to get at least 1 case (900ish rounds) of 8mm to hold me over until after the elections...having trouble finding a good source of the ammo...

1950s Yugo- 11/55 is said to have head failure issues and is all that SOG seems to have. This may be overblown but I'm still not sure if I want to risk it.

That seems to be it for the surplus crowd if you don't want to go into the "Sniper" Yugo for 8mm. Is this it? 2 choices for surplus if I just want to plink/blow up paper? I'm left with 2 different kinds that will either dud/delay/blow up in my face?

Here is a `55 vintage Yugo case that failed in my K98, I have fired several hundred rounds of the batch I bought and this is the first serious case failure that I experienced.
    Luckily, I was wearing my shooting glasses, as the gasses vented straight back into my face and they prevented any injury to my eyes.

On the strength of this particular incident, I will be pulling the bullets from the remaining ammo and reloading the powder and heads into modern brass.
    The moral for me is, when shooting old ammo WEAR EYE PROTECTION.
    ukrifleman.
    `

The BEST 8mm is the Yugo M75 sniper ammo. Wideners and Classic Arms have it. If you look around diligently you might find some Yugo standard ball from the 1970s. It is darn near as good as the sniper and sells out fast.

There are a couple cases of Romanian 150gr on Gunbroker, steel case stuff but still surefire. 1950s Yugo would be last, in my opinion. I still get duds even with an extra power firing pin spring.
    There's nothing more dangerous than a colossal, bankrupt, and well-armed government--- Porter Stansberry

Ive been buying Yugo 8mm 50s locally and so far only had 1 round that needed a second strike

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Widener's has the 50's Yugo back in stock

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?i...dir=18|830|854

Quote Originally Posted by Bigedge View Post
    Widener's has the 50's Yugo back in stock

http://wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?i...dir=18|830|854
    It's good to see more 8mm surplus hitting the market. Unfortunately, SOG is still about $20 cheaper per case, even after figuring in their 3% credit card fees.
    http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo-...pper-clip.html

The 50's dated Persian seems OK.....the 30's dated is horrible.....duds and hangfires galore. The stuff I got from Sportsmens Guide was 30's and I'm going to pull it down for the projectiles.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzPuppet View Post

Persian ammo is shit. Bought 1k rounds and 18 out of 20 are hang fires. Paid to reload every one.

939 P635 - got a buncha sealed battlepacks in crates from J&G a few years ago. It's by far the finest 8mm ammo I've ever used.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

Quote Originally Posted by br8kawy View Post
    Persian ammo is shit. Bought 1k rounds and 18 out of 20 are hang fires. Paid to reload every one.
    I ended up buying another 900rd crate right before the election/scare of Dec happened. Totally glad I did since it is hard to find even mosin ammo now.
    The only thing I hate more than AR15s is Tacticool/Bubba'd Rifles

So there are currently two vintages of the Iranian/Persian ammo available right now. Can somebody tell me if one of them is good to go or if both are crap? There is the 1930's Persian that is available and the 1950's Iranian. I have heard horrible things about this ammo but maybe I only heard it about one of them and have been lumping them together incorrectly.

They are the same. Basically they can't read the Farsi/Arabic numbers on the cases/crates. Both the nice Persian Brno made Mausers and the ammo were made around the same time. Right before WW2. The rifles survived in fine condition, but the ammo didn't!