Thread: How did they load AK-47 mags?

Default How did they load AK-47 mags?

How do/did the Russians, Chinese, etc. load their AK-47 magazines? There had to be a way to load them, other than, pushing them in one by one. When you get down to the last rounds it is pretty rough on your fingers, I can't see these being loaded this way. It also takes a long time.
    Were mags loaded at the supply depot etc. and issued loaded? I know they make speed loaders now, but what was used originally?

I noticed there is a little hole on the rear of the magazine on 30 and 40 round mags. If you compress the follower and spring (with the cleaning rod, or stick, etc.) you can insert a nail or pin in the hole and hold the follower compressed. A nail in this little hole holds the follower at the exact spot of a fully loaded mag. The magazine can easily be loaded or unloaded this way.
    Is this what the hole is for?

David

There were SKS stripper clips and a gizmo to allow them to be thumbed down into the magazines. The hole is so one can see at a glance that the magazine is fully loaded.

The original manuals, available in translation, shows how to load the magazine. The Soviets would have a typical load out of 120 rounds in four 30-round magazines plus some extra packages of cartridges to reload the magazines. Some Central American guerrilla groups would have about 150 rounds, sometimes more.

Franchi,

Saw some footage of a guy maybe in Afghanistan on the military channel. Once he had a few rounds in the mag, would line up the next one and bounce the bottom of the mag on a board or bench and press the round right in. Tried it with a hi cap mini-thirty mag, it works. The weight of the rounds already in the mag, must produce enough energy to slightly compress the mag spring, and the last few rounds pop right in.

LB

The Texas Blackland Prarie between the Elm Fork and the East Fork of the Trinity River.

I can't answer your question, but you can't live without a Lula loader. They also have one for ARs. Best invention since sliced bread.

Actually i find it rather easy to load a double stack rifle mag by hand. A little push and just roll them in.

There is the Lula loader that you can get for an AK mag. Just keep flipping the lever and drop the rounds right in

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

i would think a large conscript army would have no trouble finding a punishment detail to load mags all day for the rest of the platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchi View Post
    How do/did the Russians, Chinese, etc. load their AK-47 magazines? There had to be a way to load them, other than, pushing them in one by one.

I should think they loaded them by hand, round by round. As the Finnish army uses RK-62 and RK-95 assault rifles which are better than original copys of the AK-47 (well, in some ways), I loaded quite a bunch of AK-type magazines when I served. Maybe Finnish magazines are better made (lighter to load) or maybe not. But when you practise the loading of the magazine a lot against the clock, you eventually get very very good and fast with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugelson View Post
    Maybe Finnish magazines are better made (lighter to load) or maybe not. But when you practise the loading of the magazine a lot against the clock, you eventually get very very good and fast with it.
    Finnish-manufactured steel magazine was/is basically a direct copy of the most common type Soviet 30-round steel magazine, while the magazine used nowadays is made from black plastic but seems to have have similar spring tension as in the old steel mags. Hence I doubt there is any real difference. I have similar experience - with little bit of practice these are very easy and fast to load by hand - no loading tool necessary.

Jarkko

Nomax flight gloves to protect hands. And or loader for stripper clips, and push into mag.

I really like my loader I got from thr speedloaderz.com guys

It's shown at 1:14 in the video (223 model shown but AK is exactly the same)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyIeD...e_gdata_player

The commbloc countries loaded by hand. AFAIK the Chinese were the only makers of a loader for the AK47.
    The AK74 magazines are slotted for the loading spoon and use improved 15 round strippers. They load very quickly and two strippers fill the mag.