Thread: how far will a squib push a bullet down a bore?

Default how far will a squib push a bullet down a bore?

Was at the range shooting my Eygptian Helwan 9mm ( Beretta Brigadier clone). Had a shot sound "funny" (louder than a click, but not the normal "bang")- I manually pulled back the slide to eject the case- it had a solid primer hit- the case mouth area, chamber & bore was covered in black soot. The cast lead bullet was half way out the muzzle. I originally assumed it was a case with no powder, but the people at work that I talked to said that squibs don't get much past the chamber. It took some sharp raps on a brass rod with a hammer to get the bullet to clear the muzzle, so I am surprised that a primer would push it that far. Any thoughts? (possibly a super light charge)- ammo was loaded on an older Lee progressive (be nice, I bought it in highschool) throwing red dot powder. I have probably loaded close to 5000 rounds of 9mm through it over the last 25 years & have never had this happen.

The easy thing is to load a primer only and try. A jacketed bullet has to go nearly 600 fps to clear the muzzle.
    Lead requires somthing less. With a light load, a heavy pistol, and ear muffs a squib is easy to miss.

A primer alone will not push a "real" bullet very far in most calibers. I say "real" because they do make plastic bullets that are primer only propelled.

Weird things can happen at times. Some squibs are caused by an incomplete burn of the powder charge. Yes I know, how in the heck can that happen, but it does. Or you may have just had a light load. It's very fortunate that you noticed it and did not fire another round.

Default RE:weird bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    A primer alone will not push a "real" bullet very far in most calibers. I say "real" because they do make plastic bullets that are primer only propelled.

Weird things can happen at times. Some squibs are caused by an incomplete burn of the powder charge. Yes I know, how in the heck can that happen, but it does. Or you may have just had a light load. It's very fortunate that you noticed it and did not fire another round.
    I was trying my 11mm Mauser M71 with a smokeless load out of COTW and .443 lead bullets.Fired a round, powder did not burn and bullet fell out of the muzzle.After that i stuck with Black powder.No more problems.

Its too general a question. Depends on what primer behind what bullet in what caliber.

I have some primer only .22 LR that will punch a hole in paper at a few yards and probably would kill a rat. A messed up .45 and 9mm in my early reloading mistakes did not allow the next round to chamber, the slug was in the way. Anything in between exiting the barrel and a fraction of an inch into the chamber is the answer....

I "ringed" the barrel on my Python many,many moons ago. I heard the squib (.38 wadcutter reload) but it was in the middle of a rapid fire string and too late to stop the hammer falling on the next round.
    The ring was 2" in on a 4" barrel.
    Most fortunately for me, the Department picked up the rehab costs and I ended up with a match grade target barrel from the Colt Custom Shop. It came to almost $1000 in repairs almost 30 years ago! I still shoot that Python and ran some .357 through it just the other day.

I have a WWII produced Browning 1922 that I bought cheap because it has a ring in its original barrel about 1 1/2 inches from the front of the chamber. I figure that this is about the place a squib .32ACP round got the bullet to go before the next round was fired in the pistol .

My one experience with a squib was with-yes, one of my reloads in my S&W M-57. The bullet wedged in the forcing cone, locking the revolver up.

Had one happen recently with tulammo in .380 in a beretta m34. Assumed it was a simple FTE but the bullet was jammed just forward of the chamber - luckily, and would not allow another round to be chambered behind it. And yes it was at a noisy and busy range. I didn't find unburnt powder so I assume it was little to no powder. Tulammo is now on my bad list.
    Assault weapon is a term invented and used for propaganda.