Thread: Shelf life of Cup'O noodles?

Default Shelf life of Cup'O noodles?

Had this crazy idea to buy 365 of them in bulks. Cheap, year supply of at least something to eat. I know a box of Saltine crackers will go bed. They just smell bad and no one wants to eath them. How about the cop o noodles?
    Collecting Weapons and field gear from the Great War 1914-1918

http://www.maruchan.com/maruchan_faq.html

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/v...hp?f=6&t=53977

http://theprepared.com/content/view/24/36/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_noodles

Calories alone won't keep you alive.. most folks that die out of the 36 million that die each year actually die from oportunistic diseases exploiting the body's weakness from malnutrition. I wouldn'tp0lan on Cup o noodles as a major part of my diet for more than a couple months tops ..

The really bad part of Cup O' Noodles is that with any good food storage plan you need to rotate your stocks to keep the stored food fresh and tasty and you eat the oldest stock first.. the stuff that is being rotated out..... this means you may have to live for a couple of months off the noodles while fresh yummy stuff is readily available .. and the longer you wait to use up the oldest on the shelf the worse it is going to be... I also bet , that no matter how much you might like the cup o' noodles now... that that changes dramatically about week 3 of a constant diet of them. You will need to eat at least 6 cup o' noddles a day for a minimum calorie count, up to 10 if engaged in heavy labor of moving cross country on foot.
    This post has been edited , vetted, and archived by the NSA.

I can't rotate what I have not possible. I know the cop o's won't keep you alive long term that is not the idea. It's more of a something is better then nothing line of thought. You can always eat two a day and you can add a host of things to them to make em more tasty and add calories.

Quote Originally Posted by 1918Militaria View Post
    Had this crazy idea to buy 365 of them in bulks. Cheap, year supply of at least something to eat. I know a box of Saltine crackers will go bed. They just smell bad and no one wants to eath them. How about the cop o noodles?
    Until the mice eat their way into the cups, if you keep moisture out (in other words "sealed dry"), there is no way to spoil, rot, or "go bad".
    Thus, they'll last longer than you will.

How is it dry crackers "go bad eventually"?

For something to "spoil" (the classic better term than "go bad"), bacteria or fungus must grow.

Either function requires moisture, warmth, and nutrients. Nutrient is a no-brainer, warmth is common enough, but every box of crackers I have opened in the last 30 years has involved not only the non-airtight cardboard box but the very well moisture-resistant waxed paper tube, and I try to keep the rain out of my pantry.

I've never found un-opened crackers even get stale (Saltine or Ritz).

I found a couple boxes of Townhouse waaaaay in the back that didn't get rotated a while a go... crackers may not go bad.. but they sureashell go flat in taste and then crumble easy.

Cup o' noodles ramen .. whatever you call them are "flash fried" and have a little oil on them .. enough that rancid can be a problem.. you can still eat them but , well .. maybe a new term .. they "go unpleasant"
    This post has been edited , vetted, and archived by the NSA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VET.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	596046As for the noodles I'm going to go out

on a limb here and suggest that one

could probably choke cup of noodles

down for at least a year . Mac and

cheese is still viable over a year past

expiration date according to how it is

stored .

FIVESHOT

Crackers I had were stored in a hotter then the rest of the place part of the house. They were edible but they stank.

Got some Cup O' Noodles to keep in my desk @ work & finally decided to cook one up. It wasn't over 12 months old, but it DID have a noticeable rancid oil smell when I opened up the package. On the variety of packaged noodles that have the salt flavoring in separate packets, I suppose you could first rinse the noodles in hot water, then brew them up, but for these babies, where the 'veggies' & bait shrimp were all mixed in together with the brine base, the rancid oil became part of the meal. Not too bad, since all that salt covered it up, but I knew it was there so it wasn't all that appealing.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

I have thrown corn chips in the toaster over and 'freshened' them up some, would that work on the crackers? I've done this with Fritos and corn tortilla chips. What can I say, I really wanted nacho's and they were the only chips I had. Use your toaster oven and toast them like toast. Keep an eye on them so they don't get too brown. I reheat pizza this way all the time too and it comes out almost as well as when you first take it out of the pizza delivery box.

My mom hated it when I made toasted peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in the regular toaster. Make sure your crimp the side real well so the hot peanut butter or jelly doesn't run out. lol, really works! Wife doesn't want me to do this in front of the grand kids for some reason lol

grey

Flint, Michigan but mentally I'm somewhere out in the desert

I just opened up my cache of emergency food, most of it canned goods in 5 gallon buckets and all of it 5 - 6 years past its "best by" date. Needless to say it's being replaced, (time flies huh) but I have been eating it and its still good so canned goods are my cup o' noodles equivalent, I figure 3 - 4 cans of Chef Boyrdee whatever and a can of beans, veggies and fruit per day isn't too bad to subsist on. I was eating vegetarian for a long time so the stuff didn't get rotated properly, that has changed.
    Project Exile was, by most accounts, one of the most successful violent crime reduction strategies in the United States.
    http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=3192& issue_id=112013

Property taxes: Paying money for something you already own, what a scam!

A few years ago I bought the big packages of Ramen and Cup O noodles for food storage. After eating a few of them, I realized it wasn't a very good option with how much sodium and how little nutrition they offer. The Ramen seem to go bad pretty quik, within a year. I eneded up just eating the cup o's hear and there just to make use of it.

In the past year I've started grabbing a buch of canned Salmon. It has good calorie, Omega 3''s , and decent protein value. It really isn't too pricey and they seem to have one of the longest shelf lifes out all of the canned food. Another one I've been getting is sardines. They're cheap , come in a convenient little tin and pack nicely in a Bob.

Flint, Michigan but mentally I'm somewhere out in the desert

Quote Originally Posted by HKaltwasser View Post
    A few years ago I bought the big packages of Ramen and Cup O noodles for food storage. After eating a few of them, I realized it wasn't a very good option with how much sodium and how little nutrition they offer. The Ramen seem to go bad pretty quik, within a year. I eneded up just eating the cup o's hear and there just to make use of it.

In the past year I've started grabbing a buch of canned Salmon. It has good calorie, Omega 3''s , and decent protein value. It really isn't too pricey and they seem to have one of the longest shelf lifes out all of the canned food. Another one I've been getting is sardines. They're cheap , come in a convenient little tin and pack nicely in a Bob.
    +1 on the salmon, only downside is the odor persists in the house for a few days after.
    Project Exile was, by most accounts, one of the most successful violent crime reduction strategies in the United States.
    http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=3192& issue_id=112013

Property taxes: Paying money for something you already own, what a scam!

wink2

Ive eaten 10 year old Top Ramen that was as good as any recent makes......but then again, Im in teh Arctic, and if its not frozen out, its not hotter than 70fabove for many days (10 at most) in the breif summer, so food thats stored ina cache dosent get old quickly.
    Canned food turn into an emusion apon opening after a few Winters from the freeze thaw action. Thats not bad on meats, and makeing soup is a good way to melt water, eat something and have something to which anything can be added to.......Soup is good food and an energy saveing way to cook make water inthe form of drinkable broth, and warm up.
    Old crackers, if not mouldy get crispe'd on the wood stove, and my wife will set her Sailorboy Pilot Breads (hardtack) on the stove to dry and crisp, her preference. Eat 'em all the time