Thread: FNM Ammo

Default FNM Ammo

Gentlemen -
    Have any of you tried the Portuguese 8mm surplus ammo and offer any opinions on it? I came into 2 boxes of it, marked as follows:
    90 CART. 7,9 mm m/937 BALA NORMAL FNM 72-1 Tip Paquate 5640 - 6-71.

I am assuming Bala Normal is normal ball ammo and the year is 1972, and to treat as corrosive.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Definitely non-corrosive. The best surplus 8mm out there and hard to find. Loaded to German spec and "hotter". I treat it like gold....

If you run a search on it, you should find quite a few threads deticated to it.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

Looking for a original matching BNZ 45 "T" block bolt

Looking for a Matching Complete DOU 45 Bolt or RC bolt body (yes with the tiny eagle FP on the bolt ball)!!

Definitely some of the best , MG85 said it best " treat it like gold " I have been sitting on 500rds for about 3 yrs .

Quote Originally Posted by MauserGuy85 View Post
    Definitely non-corrosive. The best surplus 8mm out there and hard to find. Loaded to German spec and "hotter". I treat it like gold....

If you run a search on it, you should find quite a few threads deticated to it.
    This. Gold standard. I've got about 1200 rds of it put back for my 7.62 Nato, though I've shot the 8mm and it's just as good. It's MOA out of my M1A and has the added bonus of a thinner jacket so it busts out of hogs leaving a softball sized hole instead of a quarter sized hole that heavy jacket RG leaves. My biggest complaint related to this ammo is that I didn't stockpile crates of it when it was cheap and available.
    http://k98kforum.com/
    K98k Research and Reference Forum
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. " -
    Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll have to grab more if I find it...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Anton View Post
    Thanks, guys. I guess I'll have to grab more if I find it...
    This also! Even if your rifle doesn't like it plenty have them that do
    http://k98kforum.com/
    K98k Research and Reference Forum
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. " -
    Sir Winston Churchill

If you can find it, grab it. Small quantities pop up occasionally, but I don't know of any bulk deals.

The source I went to is cleaned out. I went yesterday and the last two boxes were gone. It does pop up occasionally around here. I'm glad I got the 200 rounds when I did...I'm going to keep my eye open for it, both in .308 and 8mm. Thanks again for the advice, all of you...

It's great stuff . Like my Grandpa used to say , '' it shoots hard ''

FIVESHOT

Does any one know when FNM went from corrosive to non-corrosive? I have had 100+ mixed rounds of 68-71 dated FNM 8 mm ammo for about 6 months and forgot about them until this thread reminded me.

Quote Originally Posted by carldoc View Post
    Does any one know when FNM went from corrosive to non-corrosive? I have had 100+ mixed rounds of 68-71 dated FNM 8 mm ammo for about 6 months and forgot about them until this thread reminded me.
    I've had 1969 and up produced 8mm port and its definately non-corrosive. I'm not sure when the cutoff was for corrosive vs non but I know that the early 60's stuff was corrosive. I'm pretty sure someone else will chime in. If I had to guess though, My gut tells me that 68 stuff should be non corrosive as well.
    WTB SVT 40, FINN rework or Soviet. Must have MINT bore. Or a receiver or barreled receiver.

Looking for a late round hole Mauser Oberndorf complete matching bolt, serial #9547.

Looking for a Matching Complete DOU 45 Bolt or RC bolt body (yes with the tiny eagle FP on the bolt ball)!!

The 80rnd boxes are my favorite only have 3 of those left (wheres my crybaby smiley)..Towards the end samco or sarco sold it in bulk..a bit grimy but not corroded ..lucked in to a couple 500 rnd cans of that

What everyone else says is spot on..I'll only add that many of the gray 80rnd boxes came on 2 nub stripper clips and these work better on the FN-49 (SAFN49) guides than the 3 nub...The bullet is pretty to me as well..The Romanian for instance..not so much

You lucky devil! Yup, a full compliment of 73 FNM 8mm. Gold in a crate...

That's what it is. I have a few of those sitting around myself. I sold all of my WWII German rifles to shoot it out but maybe I'll make some bullet sculptures out of it or something!

The wacky part is that the inner boxes are held closed by little tie strings that appear to made out of silk. Crazy Portugese!
    Last edited by BWilhelm; 10-31-2012 at 11:14 AM.
    I guarantee that you're smarter than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by BWilhelm View Post
    That's what it is. I have a few of those sitting around myself. I sold all of my WWII German rifles to shoot it out but maybe I'll make some bullet sculptures out of it or something!
    Or you can sell it to me! Cash is better then sculptures....

Most of the Portuguese 7.92mm is excellent ammo, heavy sS ball practically identical to the prewar German ammo. But some of it was not well stored when imported 20 years ago (or perhaps before), and is laden with duds. Problematic lots usually can be identified by case discoloration resulting from moisture in the paper separators in the cardboard boxes.

M

1984 or before, as that is when I bought a crate (tin), only have 1200 rounds left... great stuff, never a problem, mine is "70-2"

Quote Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
    Most of the Portuguese 7.92mm is excellent ammo, heavy sS ball practically identical to the prewar German ammo. But some of it was not well stored when imported 20 years ago (or perhaps before), and is laden with duds. Problematic lots usually can be identified by case discoloration resulting from moisture in the paper separators in the cardboard boxes.

M

I've never shot any of my 7.92 to see how accurate it is, I've only got 8-10 boxes of it. I use it when I get a new 8mm rifle to do function testing so I don't have to clean right after I finish.
    I do have 5K of the 7.62x51 though and it's my reserve stash.
    me26245