Gunboards Forums banner

Bayonet w/ matching serial number?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  vintovka 
#1 ·
Hello, gents!

I just remembered that when I bought my first M91/30 (more than a year ago now...), my buddy and I spent about 15mins digging through a bucket of about 50 bayonets and we were able to find one that matched the serial number on the receiver! How common is this? Because the bayonet doesn't have the Cyrillic prefix, is it actually matching, or an arsenal force match?

See less See more
#3 ·
So not rare, I just kind of lucked out in that someone else didn't randomly pick my bayonet out of the bucket before I got there?

#8 ·
+1. Most refurbs I've seen come with matching bayonets from Big Five and such, if the importer bothered to sort them to match before boxing them up. I've got quite a few that match, at least until I tossed all those bayonets in the cupboard.
I believe that bayonets originally usually didn't have serial numbers and these were added at refurb. QUOTE=mdmosin;2345570]The serial numbers were added to the bayonets to match the rifles when they were refurbished postwar.[/QUOTE]

#9 ·
I have a Finn M27 with a number matching bayonet, cool huh! Now the real downer the stock is sanded to death and thickly coated with poly. I have looked at this thing for almost 10 years now and I just can't get brave enough to remove the poly. I have done it a number of times before and found you have to do it in the Summer outside or the stuff won't work just right and the fumes may kill you. You obviously see I am just not wanting to do this right? Bill

#10 ·
All the refurbs I got from from century had force matched numbers. Kinda wish they hadn't done it as now real issue matching 91/30 bayonets (if there were any) have lost value. FWIW anyone see the muzzlebrake made out of 91/30 bayonet? now thats a value loss on the bayonet themselves. Reminds me of briitsh and italian bayonets being sold as tent pegs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.