In the heart of beautiful Montana. A remote rural area with lots of critters and very few folks.

Default Needed: Help from Winchester mechanics with 1886

The ejector broke on my 1886 in 50 AK. I was gratified to get a replacement from Gun Parts Corp. But in order to remove the bolt there is a screw that attaches the lever to the two locking lugs. It defies my imagination as to how John Browning devised this 'blind' screw to be successfully turned and removed. The bushing it locks into rotates as the screw is turned and there doesn't appear to be a means of securing the bushing while unscrewing.

I'm counting on one (or more) of you guys to tell me how to do it. In modern copies of the 1886 the lever is attached differently, so the various instructions I've located on the Web don't deal with this issue.

Thanks for any and all help! Here's the screw I'm talking about -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3560 (Medium).JPG   IMG_3558 (Medium).JPG  

In the heart of beautiful Montana. A remote rural area with lots of critters and very few folks.

Turns out it's not a screw, but a split pin, and it drives out. Got the answer on 24 Hour Campfire.

That "blind screw" is actually a split pin - what looks like a screwdriver slot is the split. To remove this pin simply drift it out (driving against the split end) from right to left, and then the bushing can be removed also. For reinstalling the pin - gently squeeze the ends of the pin together and insert into the bushing, then tap it on home. Hope this helps you.

Quote Originally Posted by 30Gov03 View Post
    That "blind screw" is actually a split pin - what looks like a screwdriver slot is the split. To remove this pin simply drift it out (driving against the split end) from right to left, and then the bushing can be removed also. For reinstalling the pin - gently squeeze the ends of the pin together and insert into the bushing, then tap it on home. Hope this helps you.
    Thanks very much 30Gov03! It's an interesting assembly and obviously works, but in modern versions of the 1886 the design has been altered to an actual screw.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by bws1944 View Post
    Thanks very much 30Gov03! It's an interesting assembly and obviously works, but in modern versions of the 1886 the design has been altered to an actual screw.
    Split pins were once in vogue for firerms. now it is screws.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)