Gunboards Forums banner

Carcano with double set triggers...

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  nmckenzie 
#1 ·
Was going to post this on "Relative rarity of Carcanos...", but they seem to be wrapped up in the WCC 6.5x52mm ammo debate so I'll start a new thread. About five years ago while up in Whitehorse (Yukon Territory, Canada) I was invited to examine a local fellow's rifle collection - mostly Winchesters, and spotted a Carcano 91/38 with double set triggers. It wasn't a sporter, didn't have a scope mounted - or any provision for mounting one, and bore no markings indicating a trophy or presentation rifle. Essentially, it looked like any of the dozens of other 91/38s I'd seen in 30+ years as a gunsmith back in NY, except for the double set triggers. Any idea as to what I'd been looking at, a rare example perhaps?

#2 ·
Carcanos with set triggers are not that unusual; seems to have been a pretty frequent improvement by european smiths.

#4 ·
Most of the DST rigs were made by Austrian gunsmiths during the interwar years. A lot of wood has to be removed for proper operation of the DST. So much so that stocks of the hunting sporters often fail. My guess is that this DST rig came from such a failed sporter and was installed on a stock military rifle. SW

#5 ·
A lot of wood has to be removed for proper operation of the DST. So much so that stocks of the hunting sporters often fail. My guess is that this DST rig came from such a failed sporter and was installed on a stock military rifle. SW
Took a look at a 91/38 stock that lives under my workbench, and can see how mods for a DST would compromise strength.

#6 ·
I bought a DST & the seller mentioned how badly the stock was shattered. I paid extra freight for the stock to see how I would need to alter a different one. After I took pics I looked the bad stock over & there was just no saving it. I have a spare M91 stock, but I think I'll leave well enough alone & not fit the DST to it. SW

#8 ·
The book "The Carcano, Italy,s Military Rifle" on pg 40 gives some history of the DST rifles. Basically it says a version of the M91 long rifle was made with DST for military shooting teams. This rifle had a beefed up stock from the lower band to the buttplate. Unknown numbers were sold to an Austrian co. in the 1920's and sporterized. Some M38 short rifles in cal 7.35 were made with DST to be given as prizes to the winners of shooting matches. These had brass plates on the buttstock for engraving the winners name.

Don't know how accurate this info is but that is what is written in the book.

#9 ·
Appreciate the info. The beefed up stock on the DST 91 long rifle makes sense. As noted in earlier post, the 91/38 I saw in Whitehorse was hanging from a tavern ceiling amidst a gaggle of Winchester lever actions and a couple of Lee Enfields, so I don't know whether it was a 6.5 or 7.35. There was, however, no brass presentation plate on the buttstock. Guess I should've climbed up on a ladder to examine it - as I'd done with several of the Winchesters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.